Notices

Cuba this weekend

Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Cuba this weekend

Going on a 5 night work trip to Cuba.
I am REALLY SCARED.
All breakfast, lunches and dinners provide drinks.
Lobby bar, swim up bar, beach bar, restaurant bars, waiter service.
ALL INCLUDED.
I honestly do not think I can say no, and I'm having a panic attack.
It's all I can think about.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you can absolutely say no Anarock.

If you don't want to drink you don't have to.

The more work you put into your sobriety the better your chance of remaining sober on the whole trip.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...val-guide.html

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

read through the links - make a action plan.

Could be the best investment of time and effort you ever made

D
Old 11-09-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sending positive thoughts your way Anarock 💜 remind me of the reasons you decided to embrace sobriety in the first place?
Old 11-09-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

I don’t want to drink but my AV does.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ana, check in here often, go to the chat room talk with sober people. Remember why you stopped in the first place. And to make those mistakes at a work function... Yikes.

We as re totally here for you
Old 11-09-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've always wanted to go to Cuba and see the old cars,ect.. But..yes..When I went on a work trip a couple months ago I was on here A LOT and it got me through during the tough down times when I would have normally been at the hotel bar. I also went to AA as it was my first trip since sobriety and wanted to get a plan for future trips.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
That's actually a really good thing.

Keep that separation between You and IT.
IT can't control your limbs and get the booze in your mouth, IT has to try and convince YOU that the AV is YOUR thinking , it's not , YOU don't want to drink and You control the real estate under your nose.

IT can whine and plead all IT wants , annoying sure, hell yeah, but You run the show.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In order to stay sober, you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. Simple as that.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
Thats brilliant - because your AV has no arms or legs.
It needs you to get what it wants.

If you refuse to pour an alcoholic drink down your throat there's diddly squat the AV can do about that.

It might throw a tantrum but it'll tire itself out eventually

You have an enormous amount of power in a situation like this, and realising that changes the game completely

D.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Ana, check in here often, go to the chat room talk with sober people. Remember why you stopped in the first place. And to make those mistakes at a work function... Yikes.

We as re totally here for you
I have always been able to control myself at work functions. I would not drink to the point of oblivion.
But I would get happy drunk in the pool with the others there.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just stay strong Ana, Like Dee said..AV has no arms or legs, it can't force booze down your throat. Just minus the "bar" from everything you mentioned..enjoy the beach, restaurants and pool.
I ruined many a vacation and business outings because I thought I "had" to drink cuz it was there, wish I could take all those times back
Old 11-09-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was in Cuba earlier this year, it really is a wonderful place. Be prepared because wifi is very difficult to get hold of. There are only certain zones and you need to sign up with ID, and the connection is so weak it takes forever to load pages. So please bear this in mind that you may not be able to access this site so have a back up plan.

Is there a colleague you trust who can support you? Cuba is quite the party place at night, so maybe stick to cafes or more low key places in the evening so you don't get tempted. I don't know where you are going in Cuba, but there is a lot to do that does not involve alcohol. So try to learn a few Spanish phrases if you don't know Spanish to make it very clear to people you don't drink. Many Cubans cannot speak English and they adore their rum and want to share it.

However like everyone has said, ultimately YOU have the power, not the bottle. Cuba is a wonderful, vibrant and colourful place, keep focusing on that and how sharp the views and sounds are through sober eyes and ears.

Buena suerte y el buen viaje, amiga! You can do this!
Old 11-09-2017, 10:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by skyfullofstars View Post
I was in Cuba earlier this year, it really is a wonderful place. Be prepared because wifi is very difficult to get hold of. There are only certain zones and you need to sign up with ID, and the connection is so weak it takes forever to load pages. So please bear this in mind that you may not be able to access this site so have a back up plan.

Is there a colleague you trust who can support you? Cuba is quite the party place at night, so maybe stick to cafes or more low key places in the evening so you don't get tempted. I don't know where you are going in Cuba, but there is a lot to do that does not involve alcohol. So try to learn a few Spanish phrases if you don't know Spanish to make it very clear to people you don't drink. Many Cubans cannot speak English and they adore their rum and want to share it.

However like everyone has said, ultimately YOU have the power, not the bottle. Cuba is a wonderful, vibrant and colourful place, keep focusing on that and how sharp the views and sounds are through sober eyes and ears.

Buena suerte y el buen viaje, amiga! You can do this!
I have been to Cuba before and travelled a lot but this is my first time in sobriety.
I do not plan on going out to town at night or anything like that, as work calls for early days mostly. I will have to be in bed early those days.
There are a couple of nights I do not have any planned so I think that is when I will feel the temptation.