Notices

Klonopin: Thoughts?

Old 11-09-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Klonopin: Thoughts?

My doc prescribed it for me for anxiety. Anyone taken it before? If so, what was your experiences like? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I was prescribed klonopin for anxiety. It worked...a bit too well. I was on it at a fairly low dose for 4 months, taking as prescribed.

I tried to taper off of it in 3 days, again under a doctor's care and advice and suffered horrendous withdrawal.

My understanding is that any benzo, definitely including klonopin, works incredibly well in the short term, but can cause dependence if used for more than a few weeks, especially with daily dosage.

This was my experience ONLY, of course it varies. Please speak to your doctor about any concerns you might have regarding dependency and dosage. Hopefully your doctor is a psychiatrist who specializes in addiction, a GP won't necessarily have much experience with benzos prescribed for someone who is in recovery, particularly from alcohol or benzos themselves. It's not uncommon for a GP to prescribe Klonopin or another benzo when anxiety is reported and offer refills without dealing with the addictive potential of these drugs. You should not base your actions on Dr. Google or someone in a forum!

There are other possible treatments for anxiety that don't involve benzodiazepines. Another topic about which to speak with your doctor, again preferably a psychiatrist who has experience with addiction and recovery.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been on it for a few years and it has been one of the meds (on top of my other ones) to keep my severe anxiety in check.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No experience with that particular drug, although I've heard it works wonders yet tolerance can build quickly!

I take Lyrica for my anxiety and propranolol and recently they put me on Zoloft
Old 11-09-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been taking it for three years, I'm six years sober, and I take it for generalized anxiety disorder.
It's been a real life saver for me. No, or very little, anxiety any longer.
As for the withdrawal, I would hate to come off it. I'm on 4 mgs a day, which I guess is a lot, but it's given me my life back. So it's a cost benefit thing.
I get it from a psychiatrist.
Just my experience.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been taking Clonazepam for 15 years, at 3mg a day (3x daily), and have this surplus of it because I didn't use it when I was drinking. I'd take one, then drink at happy hour.

Now I'm back on my 3x a day regiment. I have nervous ticks, and extreme hyperactive anxiety, particularly in social environments.

Another reason I quit drinking because my liver probably doesn't do well with the combo, though not taken together.

I ran out of it one time, and it was far worse than detoxing from booze at day 2; this is my experience only.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m prescribed Klonopin 1mg twice a day now it’s a lot. Be careful because tolerance builds up fast and rule of thumb ONLY take as needed. Never two days in a row, and don’t mix with alcohol (I used to take it for my hangovers though because I get worse anxiety on a hangover).

I personally found diazepam (Valium) more mood elevating, and euphoric in general at getting rid of anxiety and found Klonopin to give you more side effects. But it’s different for everyone, and you won’t know until you try.

Just careful on addiction it comes on fast I got withdrawals from taking it for only a week. So I only take as needed. I have also heard that benzos are one the worst withdrawal for a drug out there and can last monthes, and left with worse anxiety then you’ve had before.

Take care!!