Notices

Help my boyfriend succeed

Old 11-09-2017, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help my boyfriend succeed

Hi everyone,
So my boyfriend and I have been together for a year. He told me right from the start he uses suboxone because he was addicted to pills. I was okay with it knowing he got help and wanted to change. He went to rehab to get off the pills and started taking suboxone 6 years ago. He is on 1 mg and goes to the dr once a week to leave a sample and get a weeks worth. He has to travel about 40 mins to get the script so it’s kind of a burden and has just decided on Tuesday that he is going to try and get off this weekend. Today and yesterday he took about .5 mg to try and wien off. His dr doesn’t suggest anyone get off it completely however he is tired of it controlling his life and feels he is ready. I myself don’t do drugs of any sort not even smoke weed so being with me he says he feels he has a fighting chance because his last girlfriend was constantly bugging him to still do cocaine. Which even behind my back a few times while we were together he has let his friends pressure him into doing coke and tells me it’s not that bad but to me I’m like you’re just asking to relapse but then again I don’t do drugs so I really don’t know how true that is. Anyways I am very supportive of his decision however I am also very scared that he will relapse and I have a 3 yr old daughter in the picture so my question is does anyone have any advise on how I can help him? He’s prepared to go through the withdrawals and has got Epsom salts for his baths we are prepared for the nausea and diarrhea, we are trying to find something to help with the withdrawal pains, we have a stack of blankets on the dresser if he gets the chills, we are prepared for the worse but I myself have never been through withdrawal so I’m not sure if I should give him his space this weekend or if I should do anything like force him to go for walks to get out of the house and maybe take his mind off of it? All suggestions welcome and I know it probably differs on each person but things we could try that maybe helped some of you?
Old 11-11-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi ML

I really cant give you much advice here because I don't have any experience with suboxone.

I do know that there is a ton of information on the web to answer your questions. A bit of searching will provide you with quality information.

Also your BF seems to have addiction problems. Not sure if his intention is to get clean & stay clean or just get off the subs. There is a big difference. In order to get clean & seek recovery his life style will have to change dramatically.

I wish you the best of luck dealing with his serious condition.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HardLessons View Post
Hi ML

I really cant give you much advice here because I don't have any experience with suboxone.

I do know that there is a ton of information on the web to answer your questions. A bit of searching will provide you with quality information.

Also your BF seems to have addiction problems. Not sure if his intention is to get clean & stay clean or just get off the subs. There is a big difference. In order to get clean & seek recovery his life style will have to change dramatically.

I wish you the best of luck dealing with his serious condition.
Yes his lifestyle has changed dramatically. He was young and dumb and got addicted to pills at an early age. Went and got help and was put on suboxone. Unfortunately at the time he was never told how addictive they were and how hard it was to come off of it. Within the 6 years he was on suboxone he did really good and has stayed away from the pills. Just does coke and mush from time to time however before we met he was doing coke very regularly as in a few times a week and every weekend. Since we’ve been together I caught him doing it twice and once I ask he doesn’t lie he just says sorry. The second time it happend I told him I’ve lost all trust in him and from here on out I need to see his slips from his drug test that he has done at his appointment when he receives his suboxone. He gave them to me and for about 5 months now there’s been nothing other than the suboxone in his system so that I’m grateful for. I also told him next time he does coke I’m out and if he thinks having a high for a few hours is worth ruining our relationship over then I don’t want him in my life anyways so he definitely is on the right track and is doing it for the right reasons... but I am also scared of a relapse. I told him there are certain friends of his that I don’t feel comfortable with him hanging out with and he gets it so we’re at day 3 and we will just have to see how it goes.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Typically there is a medically controlled supervised plan to taper off the subs. In your case he is pretty much just jumping off based on his own decision. So to me that is a concern.

Also its obvious he is at least dabbling in other drugs. You have caught him a few times. I am guessing there has been additional use you just haven't caught him.

Its a very tricky situation. Please keep yourself keenly aware of reality. Finally sobriety & recovery looks & feels like sobriety & recovery. Active addiction - well I think you know what that looks like.

I wish you the best of luck.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is that how much he takes, or that how much he allowed himself now? Because if that is all he takes then getting off eventually might not be that bad, but if he takes a lot more then I dont know. But like others say getting off this stuff is something that you need good advice for, and I am learning and tapering off it myself, so dont consider me a great source. It depends a lot on how much, and how long I was told, but look into that, and talk to doctors if you can, get good qualified advice, not just hearsay. Read up on the side effects, also know if he has any maladies like heart or breathing issue,s you can be ready for. You can look online for all the usual side effects too. Also be aware that this stuff has lasting mental issue,s for some long after the WD,s are gone, I think they call them PADS, mental issue,s from dependency and depression. Things everybody on suboxone will have to deal with to some extent.