My son is an alcoholic

Old 11-08-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My son is an alcoholic

Hi there I was wondering if someone could help.My son is an alcoholic he is presently attending a clinic who has put him on Antabuse.He has told me he has been told to take double his dose of this,does anyone know if this is okay to do this as I am struggling to believe him as he will not let me attend the clinic with him,I am so worried ,could someone please help ,thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about the medication or dosage, but I have had good luck finding that kind of info on sites like drugs.com. Some of the drugstore sites give that kind of detail as well. I hope you find your answer.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Christine,

We cannot give medical advice here. Assuming your son is legally an adult, I don't know that there is much you can do other than contact the clinic and let them know that he is taking a 2x dose.

Have you considered Alanon? It's a great resource for loved ones and family members of alcoholics.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am only speaking from my personal experience. My Dr. says the tablets come in 250 and 500 mg. He told me to take the 500 mg initially for two weeks and then cut the tablets in half and use 250mg every day after that.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

Typically the standard protocol is a double dose for a short period of time to get it built up in your system.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

C,
We can see by your worry that you are very concerned about your son. His recovery is just that, his recovery, you need to stay away from it. I am sure you could use some support from alanon or open aa meetings. Seek support for you and give this child to the counselors who know how to guide him. Hugs