Notices

Almost 30 Days

Old 11-08-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 30 Days

Folks,

Been a drinker for 20+ years. When I was in my late teens and early 20's, it was mostly beer and the occasional recreational drug. Let's fast forward 25 years.... Married, (2) girls, and a dog. Living the American dream. 4000 sq ft. house, pool, cars, etc.. Now the dark side, I drank a 5th of vodka a day. Last binge put me in rehab (Last month). (47) yo guy in a rehab with kids in the same rehab that are 20 something. They were more interested in running off to the woods to get **** then to get sober. Not sure how I got here but I'm here... Winding road. I've been life of the party for a long time. Don't think I'm life of the party anymore. I don't get "buzzed" anymore. I'm straight, have a couple of pops, then need a couple of more. My eyes get funny and I'm drunk. The fun is gone. Rehab taught me, people, places, and things.. I'm ready to admit I'm powerless......

WJR
Old 11-08-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and you will find a lot of support here.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Lots of great advise and support here. Staying close to SR has helped me a great deal.

Congratulations on making a positive decision in your life!
Old 11-08-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Swoiblelr - you will find comraderie and understanding here.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 30 days - and welcome Swoiblelr

D
Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome and congratulations on almost thirty days.
I was the life of the party too, until I ruined it that is.

You're doing great with your sober time, and remember, you never have to drink again.

Best to you, and stick around you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you - congrats on your 30 days.

I was older too when I realized the thrill was gone. I don't know why I clung to it for so long. It feels wonderful to get free of it and rejoin the human race.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

Yeah at a certain point it becomes crystal clear that the thrill is gone, as BB King used to say. Good going, Swoiblelr. Your life will likely be much better without it.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome to SR! great job on the upcoming 30 days!
Old 11-10-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 1

Almost made 30. Wife went away for business.. I'm no good alone. Drank Wednesday, Thursday, and today. Funny thing is, I went to a meeting last night. I really like AA meetings. I just can't stop drinking..

WJR
Old 11-10-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its really hard to stop. I think I have only managed to get sober because I had to......it was making me really, really ill. My mind and body had started to break down. I wonder is it worth trying to figure out why you want to quit. In my experience, I could only do it for myself. I hope you can catch this soon and find the reasons to quit.
Support to you. Everyone here knows just how difficult it can seem in the early days.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Swoiblelr View Post
Almost made 30. Wife went away for business.. I'm no good alone. Drank Wednesday, Thursday, and today. Funny thing is, I went to a meeting last night. I really like AA meetings. I just can't stop drinking..

WJR
Have you considered getting a sponsor and doing the steps? It might be another avenue to help you stop drinking and stay quit.

I used to think I was no good alone either but that was a cop out really.

Post here before you give into the desire to drink, and stick around here posting and reading until the desire goes away.

Go to a meeting instead of drinking.

Look into techniques like Urge Surfing.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (urge surfing)

Make a recovery plan
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

as long as you keep telling yourself you're no good alone you probably won't be.

It's a lie Swoiblelr

D
Old 11-10-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

swo,

Imo...you relapsed pretty hard and are a bit back into the hell of addiction. If you stop you will suffer for a while, then it gets better, but you still suffer, it gets better...you still suffer. It takes years to pull out. Some folks regret relapse after a decade or more of sobriety.

Everything is re-primed. Each relapse digs the mental anguish and living hell of dealing with the world, initially, harder and harder. Eventually, if a person can't stop...they go insane from the anguish etc, besides all the physical destruction.

I had horrid anxiety for many months after I quit. I was, am, and will remain AD free. I was lucky. I work out 5 to 6 days a week. The endorphins are my new drug.

Thanks.