Notices

Day 3 alcohol free

Old 11-08-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 alcohol free

Hi
I've been a heavy drinker for many years which has cost me a few decent relationships besides my health. On the verge of losing my soul mate and trying my best to quit. He'll be happy for me to cut back on my drinking but I have no control. I drink daily and even more weekends. I'm trying to quit completely but already finding it difficult! Thinking of losing him and my huge bloated belly which makes me look heavily pregnant is helping me for now but worried I'll relapse on the weekend as its my birthday :'(
Any advise or support would be gratefully received, thank you
Old 11-08-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

You're right, it's far easier to stop drinking altogether, than to moderate drinking when you're an alcoholic. And, yes, it's difficult to stop drinking, but it can be done and you will find lots of support here.

It's important to do this for yourself, and not just for your partner. My advice would be to plan a birthday party that does not include alcohol. I had to make a lot of lifestyle changes in early recovery and I stayed away from people and places involving alcohol for many months.

You can do this!
Old 11-08-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you feel that you have to stop, you have to go all In! Make sobriety the most important thing in your life because it is. Check in every morning on the 24 hour connection thread to remind you that you can't drink. I look forward to seeing you there!
Old 11-08-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making a positive decision in your life.

If you are anything like me you will have spent years trying to control your drinking, all as a way of trying to keep drinking...

Old 11-08-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep going. You can do it!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"as its my birthday"

repeat that:

birthday

not:

deathday
Old 11-08-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank heavily for forty years. I've been sober for over six years now, just so you know there is hope.
It was difficult for me to quit on my own. I finally went to AA and found people there just like me, trying to solve our shared desire to stop drinking. It was very powerful and empowering to be in a room, of all types of people, with a common goal.
Have you tried AA? It's not for everyone, but it sure worked for me.

I also came here and found more people going through what I was (am) and who understood.

I was a bad drunk and drank nearly every day. At the end it was bad.
You can quit. Many of us here are and have. You have to want it.

Welcome, and stick around you'll find lots of support here.
And congratulations on three days, I know how hard that is. Many more sober days to you and remember, you never have to drink again.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hopesupport

I think staying sober and working hard to become the person you want to be is a great birthday present.

I've never been happier since I quit drinking in '07.

Focus on the long term goals and don't get distracted by thoughts about drinking - your drinking bought you here to this site.

Its time to leave that in the past

D
Old 11-08-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, HopeSupport. When I came here I felt so relieved to know there were others who truly understood what I was going through.

My mistake was in thinking I could use willpower to just have a few now and then. I didn't realize that for me there could never be any control. Once the alcohol was in my system, dangerous things happened. It doesn't sound like drinking is bringing you any fun or enjoyment - just misery. Time to get free. You can do it, we will help.