Notices

First sober Holiday season ahead

Old 11-08-2017, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First sober Holiday season ahead

Well, it has begun. I started receiving my Holiday party invitations from vendors my company does business with. This is the time of year when I had my most regrets from my drinking. This will be a huge test for my sobriety. Does anyone who has been in a similar situation have any advice on how they got through their first sober Holiday season? Thanks- freeofit
Old 11-08-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by freeofit View Post
Does anyone who has been in a similar situation have any advice on how they got through their first sober Holiday season?
By politely declining holiday party invites.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
By politely declining holiday party invites.
Thanks for replying but at some point I need to attend these type of events to network for my line of work. Since this is my first Holiday season sober I may have to take your advice but I will need a plan going forward.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2/2016

I started noticing at parties how few people drank. no one drinks like me once i started noticing it. I just grab a coke or something non caffinated. no problem. proud of myself when i get home. now, after a year I do not think anything about it. stay strong
Old 11-08-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can understand the business need. Perhaps arrive early and leave early. I was worried last year about parties: people will ask what I'm drinking, they'll ask why I'm not drinking, they'll push me to drink...

None of that happened. Other people really do not care. I had La Croix on ice in a glass...none of my worries materialized. I made the small talk, and left before the party before my mind could try to convince me to partake.

Tell yourself up front "no drinking"; if these parties are being attended for business, then treat the evening as a meeting, and not a keg party.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Since this is my first Holiday season sober I may have to take your advice but I will need a plan going forward.
If you stay sober, the holiday season a year from now probably won't require so much caution. But in early recovery it pays to be cautious and do whatever it takes to support your fragile sobriety.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i think something wise would be to change a bit of perception- dont look at it as a test. when it comes to not drinking, im no good at testing it.

3 things i have in place for going to places where alcohol is involved:
1- the right motive
2- be in fit spiritual condition
3- an escape route and not be afraid to use it.

another thing i do at occasions where alcohol is involved:
instead of trying to get something out of it,try and add to the occasion. try and make other people happy and enjoy the occasion.

if offered a drink,"no,thank you "is all that has to be said.
if im pushed and/or asked why, a simple reply that ends it;
"you dont have enough alcohol."
Old 11-08-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

....I need to attend these type of events to network for my line of work..
and theres your reason for attending. keep it about that maybe?
Old 11-09-2017, 01:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Tomsteve. I can put this advice to use.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am also a bit apprehensive about approaching my first sober Christmas break. Not because of business events, just because everything in my world revolves around alcohol at this time of year.
I think, as with anything, if we look at the season as a whole it is difficult to imagine getting through it. It just feels too big. The reality, though, is that we only need to decline one drink at a time. The offers will just come around a bit more frequently.
Good luck.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Everyone is different but for most I think the biggest adjustment is going to be not drinking at parties, social events and while out with friends. So if you do decide that the temptation will be too much don't feel bad about staying home. There will be plenty of other opportunities to go out throughout your life.

That said, although it takes a little getting used to but from my experience for alcoholics going out sober is probably one of the most rewarding aspects of getting sober. No more embarrassing nights, no more forgetting what you said or did, no more regrets and no more worrying about losing control.. I wouldn't look at this upcoming holiday season as something to worry about I'd look at it as an opportunity to have fun sober for the first time in a long time.

Remember, if we were having so much fun drinking we wouldn't be here.