Notices

New to all this...

Old 11-05-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to all this...

Hi
I decided to join up after reading a few posts which I've found really helpful.
I'm 6 weeks off the alcohol but struggling a little...
I'll have a look through threads now but wondered on the best place to start? I also don't know what the abbreviations are, e.g AV.
Thanks!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's a link to understanding the acronyms used by recovering addicts.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-acronyms.html

AV means: Addictive Voice

Congrats on six weeks sober! Keep going, it gets better.

You might want to post daily in the 24 hour recovery thread in Daily Support.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-311-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connection Part 311)
Old 11-05-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Samantha

Welcome. I’ve also found everything here helpful. It’s nice to be able to talk with those who understand addiction.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks both. Ah, Addictive Voice, that makes perfect sense!

I'll definitely pop onto that other thread, I could do with some extra support right now. Hot chocolate and bed for me right now as 11.20pm.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you joined us.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome JJ1991
D
Old 11-06-2017, 02:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, JJ!
Old 11-06-2017, 02:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

JJ you are in the right place. I find new knowledge here all the time. It's time well spent to read through things that call to you and others as well. It's good to be around people here who understand. You will find threads you want to stay on and a lot of those are daily threads. My main one is the month of my sobriety date (October 2017). Also there are daily gratitude (morning and night) and threads just to check in to be accountable. Best wishes to you. Don't be afraid to post.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sober style

Hi JJ. The monthly support thread here in Newcomers helped me a lot when I was new to SR. Just go to the Class of November Support Thread and start posting to join.

Also great work on the 6 weeks!
Old 11-06-2017, 03:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good morning JJ and welcome to SR. The great thing about spotting another Brit is that we are on the same timezones! Not that it really matters. SR is a wonderful 24/7 place of support. I do recommend you read around as much as you are able and you'll find little threads and places that you feel comfortable being part of.
It might seem a little overwhelming at first but SR is a big part of not only my recovery but my life now.
Take care xxx
Old 11-06-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

This site looks really helpful. I've lurked for a while! When I first stopped drinking I was SO tired yet many websites said you'd feel amazing when you gave up - I find SR the only realistic website, I could really identify with what others were saying.

I had been alcohol dependent for a very long time, drinking a bottle of wine a day, if not more. It wasn't fair on my 4 & 7 year old kids, they even knew "my" bottle of wine in the supermarket.

I seem to have hit a bit of a wall at 6 weeks, kind of mourning the person I was if that makes sense? I used to love a social drink but just not sure I can realistically get back to that...

I'll check out some threads now that I've registered.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

JJ I can totally empathise. I have 2 daughters (15 and 9 here) and it just had to stop. The first benefit I notice is for them. Their social lives are now great now that mummy is happy to be the taxi service!
I do think that around 6-8 weeks there is a bit of a battle. No idea why it's just my experience but I wanted to let you know not to despair and to keep going. Just dig a little deeper for a while and I can guarantee that it will ease.
Please be very careful about thoughts of social drinking though. That is a classic AV lie. One thing that helped me tremendously when I was struggling with acceptance was something I read here. I'll try and share it:
There are 2 non-negotiable things essential for our success:
1) Drinking is never an option for us. never again. Not one little sip. Ever.
2) If you find that thoughts which romanticise the idea of drinking enter your mind banish those thoughts immediately. Do not entertain them for a second and refer to point 1) above.
I hope you will find that helpful rather than bossy. It has clicked my thoughts back into place many times.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Jo.
Your comments make sense. I think my sadness is due to the fact that my brain knows that drinking just isn't an option, ever. I seem to be in some sort of mourning!!
You don't sound bossy, just very sensible!