Notices

New years eve / day - Ideas?!?!

Old 11-05-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New years eve / day - Ideas?!?!

Hey,

I'm currently on Day 24 so early stages of recovery for me as I'm sure it is for many on here.

I found SR on just Day 2 and feel it was meant to be, it's really got me through and the support is amazing. I spend alot of time on the October 2017 thread...

Anyway It's Sunday lunchtime for me here in England, 12:25pm...

I'm just sat thinking about Christmas and New Year...I'm planning to just have a quiet xmas spending time with my family and a couple of close friends and just relax but I want to celebrate New Years properly, I'm used to getting so drunk it carries on for days on one of my destructive binges then I'm ill and run down for the first couple of weeks inJan.

This year it has to be different...

I have thought about celebrating the New Years Day instead! To start 1st January as I mean to go on and make it a special day...

I just thought it a good idea to start a thread of positive ideas of how we can spend this time of year and make it enjoyable / special etc and SOBER!!!!!

Let's all share some good ideas / plans...

Peace, Love and Strength out to all you SR crew.

K x
Old 11-05-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

New Year's isn't my danger zone, it's definitely Thanksgiving and Christmas. Just will surround myself with non-drinking Christian people to strengthen me. Because I have essentially no family left save for an aunt in Philly (about 4 hours away although I'll drive it if invited) and my GF lives 3 hours away I may be alone for the actual holiday. That often happens, she will spend the actual holiday with her family then come here the next day for a long weekend.
Thanksgiving this year will be particularly difficult because it is also my birthday. Use my strategies, color, work a puzzle, get lost in a book. So the thread is I think to include strategies. I have a tracking system so that I can relate my moods and urge level to specific strategies. What works, what doesn't work. Then I journal on that. So my current strategies in no particular order:
1. Meditate
2. Read
3. Color (the adult coloring books with complex detailed drawings, not like Scooby Doo or something like that, lol)
4. Play drums
5. Get something accomplished (like clean something, work on the fish tanks, get a home improvement project done or started)
6. Call a support system
7. Work on my book (writing a book about setting goals for success with God's help)
8. Work a puzzle (working on a 3,000 piece puzzle. For the last 4 years, lol)
9. Journal
10. Watch a Good Mythical Morning video (funny comedy duo on YouTube)
So there you go! Maybe you can use one of the above but regardless definitely add some more!
Old 11-05-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NYE used to be my "favorite" holiday, because it was an excuse to get plastered. Sure, I did have fun with friends, and we typically made a huge night out of it, lots of dancing, and fireworks. If I wasn't an alcoholic, and could have gotten through the night with a couple drinks, maybe I'd still celebrate that way.

But I am an alcoholic, and despite how fun that sounds, it always ended with someone being way too drunk, people yelling, and a massive hangover.

So the past two years I've forgone NYE, and instead celebrated sunrise on new years day. For me, it is so much more significant. I live an hours drive from the Atlantic coast, so I am fortunate enough to watch the sunrise from the beach. But I would recommend this to anyone, beach or not. It is very quiet out on new years morning, last year I had the beach entirely to myself. It can be a very powerful moment, to welcome the new year with the first sunrise, sober, present, and at peace in your mind. No hangover, no struggle, no regret.

I'll be doing it again this year, and hopefully every year from here on out. Make a nice dinner on NYE, watch a great movie, go to bed at a decent time, then up before dawn.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Getbetter72

Good list. I definitely find meditation helps!

I'm trying to focus on celebrating the new years day instead so to start the new year as I mean to go on.

I'm thinking maybe a spa hotel and stay over and come back later on New Years Day. Real relaxing with a pool and nice food. Looking at special offers to find some cheap deals

K x
Old 11-05-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't have any family left so all the holidays are just another day for me. When I was drinking that used to make me feel sad - but these days I'm grateful to still be alive and able to care for myself after all the years of craziness. Who would have believed I would live this long??

I don't even accept invitations to other peoples' houses for holidays anymore, because I'd rather have my own food and not have to get involved in peoples' family dramas.

New Years Eve the last few years I've bought steak, potato, made a salad, later a bag of mixed nuts in shells, a bottle of sparkling cider, some eggnog for my latte and I've watched "Phantom of the Opera" on DVD, and then I'm in bed by 9PM. It is a satisfying way to be safe and comfortable. I am at the point in my life where I completely enjoy my own company and don't need or want a lot of social events. It's not my thing. Give me food and warmth and the promise of a long walk the next morning and all is good.

I was never much of a holiday drinker, though. I was one of those who always said, "New Year's Eve (and St. Patricks Day, and Cinco de Mayo) are for amateurs." I never wanted to be out on the street with the holiday drinker/drivers.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LOVE LOVE LOVE this reply tnek97 !!!!!

This is exactly the way I'm thinking / Feeling.

I live in the Lake District so I'm thinking the spa hotel and get on the lake before dawn.

K x
Old 11-05-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Even early on this is an awesome thread! Kit, great great great idea!

tnek: I encourage you to use the term "recovering alcoholic" instead of just alcoholic. To me using alcoholic implies current use. Just my opinion but adding the recovering part of it helps boost me.

Also at tnek: LOVE the idea about the sunrise! That's just awesome and I am definitely going to do it too. I just love that idea! Just really hit me how good an idea that is. Watch the dawn of a new year and a new year of sobriety at that!

On another note, every year on my bday my mom and maternal grandparents went to NYC to see a play on broadway. My favorite was Phantom, Cats was second favorite. I was blessed to have seen the mighty Michael Crawford play the Phantom. Just blew me away.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

I know for me it will be a hard workout, nice dinner, and early to bed.
Parties were never really my thing so I don’t feel like I’m giving anything up there. Normally I would just sit on the couch, watch re-runs and drink until I pass out.
Again, not really giving anything up haha.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just remembered that there is a "polar bear plunge" into the ocean on New Year's Day here - last year was the first one, it's at a place with a hot tub, too. I would have to wear a wetsuit (which I have, thankfully) but maybe I'll do that. I meant to go last year and then didn't. Thanks, tnek - for the reminder!
Old 11-05-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations Kit in your 24 days. Closing in on a solid month you are!

I had about the same amount of sober time as you when the holiday season came around. I planned my participation and length of stay in all festivities through the filter of maintaining/not threatening my fledgling sobriety. I didn't attend any New Year's Eve parties and treated it like any other evening....with purpose I kept my mind away from what my AV suggested I was missing out on and as I recall actually went to bed pretty early.

Waking New Year's Day. Oh how quietly serene it was to wake and lie there in the still of the morning feeling good about myself. The first hours of the first day of the new year feeling good....what a concept.

Historically the day itself generally meant football and beer for me at my brother's place. Instead we stayed home and I made a big breakfast for my girls. I spent a little time thinking about the year to come and changes I needed to make, goals etc.. I made specific plans to follow through with some things I'd long wanted to do travel wise and set it on the calendar. Something to look forward to. (I followed through with it as well, now a cherished memory) Later in the day a relaxed meal was shared with some of my family. Also I followed through and actually contacted a few special people (long overdue) to wish them the best in the new year.

Being a quiet sort of guy, that was enough merriment for me at that stage.

Whatever you plan to do New Year's Day I hope you'll surround yourself with dear ones that are a positive influence and supportive of your efforts.

Congrats again Kit.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I tended to get a bit cross on NYE as the queue for the bar used to take far too long for my liking lol. Then I got sober and just stayed in for a few years. The last couple of years I've been invited to a party held by a couple from AA. They go all out with the food, and invite loads of people from the fellowship. It's very nice. I'll see if I feel like staying up that late, otherwise I'll just pop over for an hour or so.

On New Years Day I fancy a nice long walk. Somewhere coastal, followed by chips with salt n vinegar and a cup of steaming tea if the fish n chip booths are open. Might take a flask of soup though, just in case they're shut.

The day I'm looking forward to is Christmas Day - Have volunteered to help with Christmas Lunch for people who'd otherwise be alone for the day at the cathedral. I did that last year and it was the best Christmas day I'd had since I was a kid.

BB
Old 11-05-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Biminiblue - the "polar bear plunge" sounds awesome! Might try and do it on Windermere lake, may get hypothermia though haha...

Getbetter72 - Thank youuuu Glad this idea is going down well. I feel the same about the sunrise on New Years Day morning. I feel it will be really special and kind of a spiritual feeling. To bring in the new year so fresh and with such clarity and appreciation for life, that new day. Wow getting all philosophical here haha but it does really seem to mean so much. Defo now my plan!!!

Mark1014 - Thank you, sounds like you'll be joining the sunrise watch on New Years Day. We should all post about it and share the experience!

Berrybean - Fish n Chips with plenty of salt and vinegar; I'm HUNGRY! lol.
I love the idea of volunteering, you have just inspired me to inquire locally! I would love to devote some time in that way.

Thanks everyone for replying and getting involved. Feeling real positive from this! Hope everyone else is too

I'ts 4pm here, off to watch the firework display at 6pm.

Keep posting people!!!

Much Love.

K x