Notices

Proper way to taper off

Old 11-04-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Proper way to taper off

Hello any advice on how to lil by lil slow down so withdrawals are not so painful?
My daily intake is about a 12 pk every day..
But on last occasions when i slow too fast i did suffer a lot to the point that i had to continue drinking not being able to stop
Any ideas
Thx a 10000000
Old 11-04-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ojsober hi ,
In my experience I could never taper off alcohol I had to stop completely but with some help form my doctor to aide the first couple of days withdrawal after a particularly long binge . Please be aware that coming off any drug involves a period of discomfort.
There are a lot of variables such as how much consumption per day and how long it has been happening ,age , general health etc .
Have you tried AA yet ?
Have you spoken to your doctor ?
My advice is to seek help with stopping drinking and don't be alone .

Take care
Old 11-04-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well my taper went three days - starting where you are, 8-12 drinks a day.

Day one: two drinks
Day two: one drink
Day three: just a tiny half-shot

Done. Well. Done drinking. It was still uncomfortable for three or four days, and I really didn't feel well for a couple weeks. Then it took almost a year until I felt back to normal.

I did it without medical advice, and I was fine - BUT lots of people cannot do that and really shouldn't try. I just didn't know any better. Withdrawal can be dangerous - even deadly - and tapering doesn't work at all for many people, they just can't stop once they start. Medical help is always the suggestion.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
Ojsober hi ,
In my experience I could never taper off alcohol I had to stop completely but with some help form my doctor to aide the first couple of days withdrawal after a particularly long binge . Please be aware that coming off any drug involves a period of discomfort.
There are a lot of variables such as how much consumption per day and how long it has been happening ,age , general health etc .
Have you tried AA yet ?
Have you spoken to your doctor ?
My advice is to seek help with stopping drinking and don't be alone .

Take care
No i have not talk to my dr yet
Some people has told me to slow by half and lil by lil cut down at all
Withdrawals for me are unbearable thou
Thx
Old 11-04-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It **CAN** be done,but it didn't work for me. I just kept drinking and it escalated even more. When I quit; I planned two weeks(I know everyone can't do this) off from work and just stayed at home. Turned off my phone for the first 3days,went on walks,sweated when I slept,dealt with shakes(visible/internal),emotions ALL over the place,ect..after 3days;I went back to AA and have been sober since(minus 1 night). It does suck,but it's better than the way I was 'living'.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
It **CAN** be done,but it didn't work for me. I just kept drinking and it escalated even more. When I quit; I planned two weeks(I know everyone can't do this) off from work and just stayed at home. Turned off my phone for the first 3days,went on walks,sweated when I slept,dealt with shakes(visible/internal),emotions ALL over the place,ect..after 3days;I went back to AA and have been sober since(minus 1 night). It does suck,but it's better than the way I was 'living'.
I know sucks but there are a lots of successful stories tapering off
I guess i need some positive reviews
Old 11-04-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ojsober View Post
I know sucks but there are a lots of successful stories tapering off
I guess i need some positive reviews
Why not just stop?( I got asked this question so I'm passing it on LOL).
Old 11-04-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It for sure takes some discipline, but can be done. if you're at 12, drop it to 8, then, 4, then, 2, and done.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I personally used to use "tapering" to prolong my drinking whilst pretending to myself I was taking action.

Cold turkey was the only way for me.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
I personally used to use "tapering" to prolong my drinking whilst pretending to myself I was taking action.

Good luck.
Thx a lot today i had only 2 and thats a start
Old 11-04-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Firm anti-tapering person here. It is far easier - if quite uncomfortable up to painful- to quit cold turkey. Then the big hurdle is DONE. I went cold turkey from about a handle of vodka every day and a half, two days to zero.

Get dr help if needed but any kind of "self regulated" weaning is a recipe for an alcoholic mind (like mine) to keep playing games to keep on drinking.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Firm anti-tapering person here. It is far easier - if quite uncomfortable up to painful- to quit cold turkey. Then the big hurdle is DONE. I went cold turkey from about a handle of vodka every day and a half, two days to zero.

Get dr help if needed but any kind of "self regulated" weaning is a recipe for an alcoholic mind (like mine) to keep playing games to keep on drinking.
I feel u and respect ur opinion
May be i sond like i want and easy way out of this
Im ready to pay for the crime do my time just if there's alternative is worth the try
Old 11-04-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Why not just stop?( I got asked this question so I'm passing it on LOL).
I will quit no matter what im trying to avoid that mental breakdown that i always go thru
There's no way around it i will suffer dont want too much thou
Old 11-04-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
It for sure takes some discipline, but can be done. if you're at 12, drop it to 8, then, 4, then, 2, and done.
I will for sure thx
Old 11-04-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post

Good luck.
Yes is only that some people have less problems with the withdrawal
Old 11-04-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you're determined to taper, could you maybe go see your doctor and take their advice to do it safely. They can then check you over and make sure you're not endangering yourself. They may also be able to advise on supervised tapers /detox /rehab facilities available, and (on a slightly more negative note) where to go and what to say if you get taken ill suddenly through it.

There are people on here who have tapered but they're in the minority. Hopefully they'll be along soon to share their experiences with you.

Have you tried doing a thread search for tapering? Could be worth a go. Just click on the little magnifying glass top right of this page and type in your search. (Sorry if you already know that - I presume nothing on here as we all come with different experience and confidence regarding th inter-web).

BB
Old 11-04-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
If you're determined to taper, could you maybe go see your doctor and take their advice to do it safely. They can then check you over and make sure you're not endangering yourself. They may also be able to advise on supervised tapers /detox /rehab facilities available, and (on a slightly more negative note) where to go and what to say if you get taken ill suddenly through it.

There are people on here who have tapered but they're in the minority. Hopefully they'll be along soon to share their experiences with you.

Have you tried doing a thread search for tapering? Could be worth a go. Just click on the little magnifying glass top right of this page and type in your search. (Sorry if you already know that - I presume nothing on here as we all come with different experience and confidence regarding th inter-web).

BB
Thx will do
Old 11-04-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

It may work for you, and I hope it does. For the vast majority of us, me included, tapering doesn't work and merely prolongs the pain. I hope you make it.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm sure there are people that have successfully tapered, but I don't think there are many of them. If your withdrawals are severe, than maybe you even cutting back can be dangerous. If their that bad, I would suggest talking with your doctor and maybe a stint in a detox facility so they can monitor you. I wouldn't chance it man. John
Old 11-04-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

One last thing. You probably know that long-term drinking can result in some health issues. Having your doctor give you a complete checkup, or having it done at a detox center might help if you do have any health problems from your drinking. Something to think about. John