Notices

Gastritis/stomach ulcers

Old 11-04-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gastritis/stomach ulcers

I've had a terrible week I must admit but not in self-pity sense. Been in hospital (again) as a result of my latest drinking and some opiates (subutex) I took I have gastritis and they think maybe stomach ulcers I'm being tested for now. The thing is I wasn't drinking as much as usual just 3 bottles of wine which is not much for me. The pain has been excruciating and i have not eaten at all for a week,or really slept, no appetite and horrible burning in my throats and stomach, I have been choking on my hiccups which I can't explain what it feels like, and not feeling well at all and vomiting blood and then vomiting but the vomit is trapped in my stomach. I am taking proton pump inhibitors and antibiotics. I think I've been given enough of a wake up call now and I'm done with alcohol. I said no more drink or illegal drugs. My friend said am I frightened of what had happened and for once I really was despite me doing loads of stupid stuff before this one really has **** me up.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

James. I've followed something of your story and recognize a lot of what you are going through. I spent a lot of my time in my twenties ignoring my problems and not quite making the commitments necessary to live a proper life that being sober might have offered me. I too was hospitalized over my drinking many times, and was so in thrall of my addiction that I treated it almost as a an "experience" of some kind. Don't be stupid like me. Drinking is a dead end.

Alcohol addiction is a brain disorder with a recognizable pathology. Active alcoholism has a set of prognoses, none of which are good. The good news is that complete remission is possible, if you stop drinking. I know you know all this, but surely it's time to surrender to the facts?

Don't do what I did and ignore the havoc alcohol can wreak upon your health. I lived in pain -- and am still dealing with the mental issues alcoholism brings despite some decent sober time this year --- but you don't have to suffer like this. There is no need to live in physical and physiological pain for the want of a stupid drug that doesn't care about you or the fact that it is killing you .

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are suffering.

There is a way out, James. I hope you take it, before you lose that choice.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, James.
Sorry for your situation.
I had dreadful stomach pain in the later years of my drinking.
It resolved fairly quickly when I stopped drinking.
Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi James

I'm sorry you drank again and that it ended so badly. The thing is the more years we drink the greater the chance we'll end up with conditions that can;t be reversed.

It sounds to me like it's getting pretty much imperative you quit for good before you ruin your health?

D
Old 11-04-2017, 10:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

James please stop drinking now. I have heard of people who went to hospital vomiting blood and drank again and died. This could be your last chance.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Please check with your doctor on medically supervised detox.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That’s a really tough situation. Before I quit drinking the first time, I suffered from truly terrible GERD. A lot of it was down to being overweight and genetics, but the drinking massively exacerbated my problem. Now that I’ve controlled my weight and I’m not drinking, my condition is so much better, and I no longer need to take any medication. I’d definitely quit drinking for your stomach’s sake at the very least. Good luck James.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
f..... this one really has **** me up.
now are you going to do some actions about it,other than studying and researching what alcohol and drugs do to a person?
following your threads for some time ( over 2 years now)and now reading this, it doesnt read like self knowledge and scientific knowledge have been enough to help.
are you going to want to stop drinking for good?
are ya gonna get into the action of recovery
Old 11-05-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Now would be a good time to stop

I'm sorry you are not doing well. I had terrible stomach issues as a result of drinking and just worked around it. Blood coming out both ends almost daily for quite a while and it became my normal. Until I finally checked myself into treatment and got a little clarity I didn't take stock of just how much damage I was doing to myself. A 40 yo man in the body of an 80 yo it felt like. At 5 months I am physically and emotionally a completely different person. People absolutely die from this disease all the time. The "it will never happen to me" or "it's not so bad"attitude will ultimately be your undoing as it's already happening to you and it likely is worse than you want to admit. Alcohol is usually a slow killer but we are so numb to the effects before you know it...BOOM it's to late. Add in opiates and it's a recipe for disaster. But it's really up to you. No one's going to slap the wine bottle out of your hand. I met someone in rehab who had just lost there spouse from drinking and was admitted with sever internal bleeding. Literally a keep drinking and you will die (soon) situation. They made it through the 30 days in inpatient and 2 days out I saw them and they were hammered. What do you do for someone like that. It is truly amazing what alcohol can do to a person. I wish you all the best.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'm sorry you are not doing well. I had terrible stomach issues as a result of drinking and just worked around it. Blood coming out both ends almost daily for quite a while and it became my normal. Until I finally checked myself into treatment and got a little clarity I didn't take stock of just how much damage I was doing to myself. A 40 yo man in the body of an 80 yo it felt like. At 5 months I am physically and emotionally a completely different person.
That was me. Horrible gastritis, muscles wasting, violently shaking and sweating if I didn't drink for more than 3 hours. Medical detox and inpatient was a must at that point.

Six months ago today.

As I said above, if you're having symptoms like that, PLEASE see a doctor and get help to get yourself into abstinence, then a recovery program. You're body is giving you a clear warning that everything is FAR from OK.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

james, please take care of yourself!!! now is the time. alcohol is not your friend don't let it take any more from you.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How’s your stomach James?
Old 11-07-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well my stomach is a lot better, the lazoprazole has cured it down. When I took subutex which is a bit like heroin I thought I was going to die and I didn't like the feeling and it has put me off drugs entirely. I'm trying just to keep a good diet now. My mates have said you've gone downhill quickly over the time I've known youband you're gonna die soon if I don't change my ways.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That’s good to know mate😀 definitely listen to your friends. It’s such a waste to keep suffering so much. Have you managed to stay off the booze too? That stuff literally eats us up from the inside.