Notices

newbie- 48 hours in

Old 11-02-2017, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newbie- 48 hours in

Hello,

I am new here (been lurking for a bit) and this is my first formal attempt and doing this (have taken breaks before). I 30 years old, and did not start drinking until I was 21. I drank casually/social for about 5 years. past 5 have been pretty heavy. Every weekend, and lately has crept into weeknights. lately it has been about a fifth a night/day, sometimes more. Thus, whenever I do have days off from drinking I experience some withdrawls, the worst being pins and needles feeling, fatigue, and insomnia. This along with having 2 kids, a wife, nice house nice job, basically everything I could dream of - I do not want to die. I consider myself to have good amount of knowledge of this thing, as I have a graduate degree in the counseling field and have counseled folks with addictions in previous jobs (crazy I know). I do not want to be too long winded so I will wrap it up and give more of my story later if needed. Basically, I gave myself a deadline of Nov. 1st about a month ago of when I would try to stop. I had some events coming up where I knew it would be impossible not to drink. Has anyone ever done this or is that bad? anyways. My cravings have been off the charts, I think because I know this is potentially/hopefully it. So yes there is some grief of kicking the booze. anyways probably typical stuff a lot of you experience. Just introducing myself here. Going to bed soon, so I will try to post more tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ryan it's good you're acknowledging you have a problem. If you're scared of dying a fifth of liquor a day will do the job pretty quick. My brother got VERY close to liver failure from 24 beers a day and now has been sober 9 years. I'm almost at the big 90 day mark after drinking pretty heavily for about 5 years as well. So we do have that in common.

One thing I can say is you sound kind of like me, you're thinking really far ahead and actually already planning to drink. You're literally telling yourself you can't do something without a drink. If you're anything like me you could be just self medicating anxiety? When you look far into the future and actually plan out things prior to them happening you're likely facing anxiety.

The best thing you can do is now that you're 48 hours in which is GREAT you can make the choice now to stop. You set the ultimatum for November 1st 2017. Make it happen.

I promise you if you're anything like me, give it even a month of sobriety and you won't want to go back.

The worst cravings and mental / physical withdrawal only lasted a couple weeks, if you are feeling pins&needles, fatigue you're probably ravenous for carbohydrates & sugar. One thing I can say is our bodies crave all those calories, carbs & sugars that the alcohol provided. 1 oz of standard liquor has ~70 calories. That means 1 fifth = ~1,750 calories. Not to mention all the sugar & carbs.

My way of getting past the initial withdraws was snickers bars, pepsi, chips whatever it took to feel good. This only lasted a couple weeks lol so I didn't gain any weight from it since I was legitimately just eating the same amount of calories etc as when I was downing beer & liquor.

You can stop drinking you just have to start now and not go back, if you keep going back you'll never feel truly happy and that's why I'm assuming you're here. You're not happy with your drinking and obviously you mention you don't want to die, a fast track to death and disease is drinking excessive amounts of alcohol on a weekly basis.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ryan - welcome

If you mean have I set a date in the future to quit because I had things coming up I wanted to drink at , yes, I have done that.

Setting a date never worked for me cos I kept finding events or bad days or uncomfortable feelings I had to drink at.

I'm glad you've stopped tho - congrats on 2 days

The cravings will get better - here are some ideas:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

and support really helps - tons of it here

D
Old 11-03-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"I consider myself to have good amount of knowledge of this thing, as I have a graduate degree in the counseling field and have counseled folks with addictions in previous jobs (crazy I know)."

ryan87, I can relate to you with this. I am a nurse and have take care of many alcoholics detoxing at the hospital. And I have done this hungover. Standing next to them, at there hospital bed, I feel horrible keeping my hungover secret. It does feel crazy.

I just joined SR today. we are in this together.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wecome ryan, how's it going?
Old 11-03-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ryan, Welcome!

Yes, I set dates many times and it never worked for me. There is always a reason to not stop drinking. And, like you, when I was determined, my mind worked overtime trying to convince me to drink.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for responding. I am doing pretty good. I got through last night, which is huge as usually I would start Thursday night because I have Friday, sat, sun off. so I would keep it going for all of those days I had off. not to mention the occasional on a work night. Sorry if I sound ambivalent, because I might be. Just being honest with myself and you guys. part of me is saying I still want to drink occasionally in the future, and part of me is saying it feels good to feel rested for once and feel that way for the rest of my life. The hardest days for me were like 3rd or 4th day. When I had a few days of rest and felt good. I would tell myself I feel rested I can afford some drinks to relax. then the cycle would continue for a few days. Then back to a few days off and so on and so on. I think setting the date for Nov. 1st helped (although yes I pushed it back a few times due to weddings I had to attend). I think it helped because now when I am tempted to drink I think I do not want to change my day 1 to nov. 3rd. maybe a little OCD but nov 1st sounds better. I will try to hang in there. Have been playing a lot of guitar today. Plan on going to the gym this evening during high trigger times. I agree, I think if I hit a month I will realize that this is the better path. I will stick around here. reading posts has helped a lot.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gym during your normal drinking time is a good idea. I've been doing that and it helps me; you get past the time you'd normally start drinking and like 30 minutes later the urge is completely gone.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Ryan!!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They AV is working hard tonight, as Friday has always been a drinking night. I'm working harder though trying to finish out this day 3!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

It dosen’t matter what your job is or what degrees you hold. Alcoholism is an equal opportunity addiction. The doctor that treated me in the hospital several years ago told me not to be surprised if I run into him at an AA meeting.

Drinking a 5th a day, in what sounds like your early 30’s is significant. Alcoholism is progressive and at some point having a drink in the morning to combat a raging hangover will seem like a good idea.

And damn, if that won’t make the hangover better. It’s a slippery slope.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ryan87 View Post
Thank you guys for responding. I am doing pretty good. I got through last night, which is huge as usually I would start Thursday night because I have Friday, sat, sun off. so I would keep it going for all of those days I had off. not to mention the occasional on a work night. Sorry if I sound ambivalent, because I might be. Just being honest with myself and you guys. part of me is saying I still want to drink occasionally in the future, and part of me is saying it feels good to feel rested for once and feel that way for the rest of my life. The hardest days for me were like 3rd or 4th day. When I had a few days of rest and felt good. I would tell myself I feel rested I can afford some drinks to relax. then the cycle would continue for a few days. Then back to a few days off and so on and so on. I think setting the date for Nov. 1st helped (although yes I pushed it back a few times due to weddings I had to attend). I think it helped because now when I am tempted to drink I think I do not want to change my day 1 to nov. 3rd. maybe a little OCD but nov 1st sounds better. I will try to hang in there. Have been playing a lot of guitar today. Plan on going to the gym this evening during high trigger times. I agree, I think if I hit a month I will realize that this is the better path. I will stick around here. reading posts has helped a lot.
I know the cycle all too well you're going to tell yourself you're cured all the time and that you're not an alcoholic. The gym is a great place to go, I actually started going to the gym a week after I quit drinking and it helped a lot with relieving stress and actually believe it or not heavy workouts release endorphins that get you high.

Your going to have lots of mind games to get past the first few weeks of sobriety like everyone. The triggers and weird habits like stopping a a certain store or hanging around certain places/people will cause some triggers. You gotta break the triggers one at a time it takes time. Just imagine life without having to worry about alcohol or feeling like crap and regretting what you're doing. It's great freedom being sober.

1. More money
2. You will spend more time and enjoy your family MUCH more, trust me here.
3. Hobbies like guitar will become more proficient and enjoyable.
4. Fitness will come into play MUCH easier if you're working out and not drinking alcohol.

There's too many benefits to abstaining from alcohol consumption. The short little high it gives you isn't worth all the extended lows and permanent damage it causes.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Alcoholism is progressive and at some point having a drink in the morning to combat a raging hangover will seem like a good idea.

And damn, if that won’t make the hangover better. It’s a slippery slope.
I have done that more times than I can count. At all times of the day. Forgot to include that in my original post. Days I had off were free reign if the family and I had nowhere to go. And I was darn good at hiding it too. Just made me realize even more how bad I need this.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just because you have events coming up that you have to attend, does not mean you have to drink at them.

Congrats on your good start. Stay sober, it can be rough at first but it gets better.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hope you get through, ryan. The first weekend might seem daunting, but they get easier.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support and your responses! I am still trying to figure out how to use these forums so quoting multiple people is still unknown to me. But I really appreciate all of you and your input. I feel bad that I keep pushing this thread to the top, but this has been helpful.

I am rounding out my 3rd day. it sounds weird to me saying yay 3rd day. I have went longer without even thinking about it, probably because my subconscious knew that there would always be an upcoming day where I would drink again. Now that I know this is the end, it seems like a huge accomplishment. The average person would probably think I am crazy for being proud of these milestones. I appreciate that you guys understand and can relate.

I went to the gym tonight and took my time so I would not even have much time to drink after. I did not stop at the store even though I needed deodorant lol. There is a beer in the fridge, but that does not even tempt me as I would need at least 12 to get the desired effect. My wife will drink it at some point, as she is a light drinker and would never have enough in the house that would be tempting to me. I plan on playing some guitar while my food is cooking before bed. Thanks again!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep moving forward Ryan

D
Old 11-03-2017, 10:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Samantha

Your story sounds similar to mine. Around the same age, slowing drinking more and more.
While I wasn’t drinking during the week, I was drinking way more on the weekends. I knew I had to stop.
Have you been to any meetings yet? AA will provide you with great support.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
Have you been to any meetings yet? AA will provide you with great support.
Not yet. And not sure if I will honestly. This my first serious attempt so I am kind of seeing how it goes. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-04-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well as I close in on the end of day 4 I surpassed my biggest hurdle yet. I am at the gym during my high weekend trigger time. Wife says her cousin is coming over. Who I have drank with millions of times. I'm thunk well I hope he comes and goes (not to be mean but I'm trying to think of not drinking). She texts me that he is staying the night and to get beer! ( now I have not been 100% transparen't with her don't judge). Any other time I would have been like yes! I replied that I have been tired lately and don't want to drink and that I'm trying to be healthier. I feel stronger and stronger with each hurdle. And I feel more powerful than ever! Screw off AV!