Notices

What is wrong with me??

Old 11-02-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is wrong with me??

Hello SR. Im a newbie in recovery, almost a week in. And....

I cant stop crying!!! Lol

In the shower, on the way to work, taking my niece trick-or-treating, in meetings....almost every one of them!

It's like emotions overcome me. I get very sentimental over things, or emotional about recovery, etc. What's going on with me, Ive cried everyday, multiple times. Its annoying and kind of funny. Am I going through puberty again?? Help! Lol
Old 11-02-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I remember during early recovery being extremely emotional. I would cry at the drop of a hat, or just because it was Wednesday. It'll pass.

Welcome to SR. Congratulations on your sober time! You can do this!
Old 11-02-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oooohhhh yeah.

Cried at every meeting. Cried when anyone looked at me crooked. Cried if anyone said the word, "You." I felt like I had no physical or emotional safety anywhere. It got better.

I said sort of the same thing you did, "What's up with the crying, God? Can ya do something about it, please??"
Old 11-02-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

It is emotional to realize you have to recover and to actually do it.
I feel like crying a lot, feeling depressed, anxious, everything at once.
You’re doing the right thing🙂
Old 11-02-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a good thing. I did the same, and it made me realize how shut down my emotions had been. All of sudden, I was feeling everything.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Add me to the list of those who cried. I wasn't sure whether I was sorry for myself (thinking I'd be missing out - ha), or maybe it was part of withdrawal. It stopped after about 2 weeks for me. We go through many changes as we re-enter the real world. Congrats on your upcoming week sober. You're doing this.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still do almost daily and I am 4 plus months now. I think we are now adapting to the real world and our real emotions, raw. Everyone is different, but I know a lot of my emotions are triggered by grieving my little fur baby I lost just before getting sober.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did my fair share of crying too - manly crying of course

I walled up my emotions for so long with alcohol - then the dam broke...

It was a little like a roller coaster ride there for a while but things will settle down again, I promise sober waitress
Old 11-02-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The crying is good for you. Your brain needs that. It needs the release. Let yourself get it out when you can in privacy before going out!
Old 11-03-2017, 02:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. Helps to know Im not going crazy! Lol May have a good cry in the shower before going to work to try to get it out of me today.

It's definitely a mix of emotions when I cry. Sometimes happiness and joy, like watching my niece, it can be sad when I start thinking about things and life. I'm just one big ball of emotions right now. Probably not a bad thing, when I usually dont feel much of anything. Think my brain is a little overloaded with taking it all in again. Lol
Old 11-03-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have been crying more than my fair share too. I cried telling my teen about the movie Rocky last night! What day is it for you? I'm 21 days today and it does seem to be improving other than the boohoo. Maybe today will be boohoo free!
Old 11-03-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

good mornin SW.
2 things i know that can occur for alkies:
- years of repressed feelings/emotions- repressed by alcohol come out.
-i believe we stop growing the moment we take our very 1st drink. 36 when i got sober, i was 13 mentally and emotionally
- years of drinking seems to do a number on brain activity- cuts power to the feelin and emotionin parts. now theres no alcohol and them parts of the melon are gettin power back and lightin up!
idk how long ya drank or how much, but give it time. id say a couple months. then if yer still having it occur, there could be underlying issues that would be wise to address.
hope the meetings and steps are going good for ya!
Old 11-03-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ya know? Thanks for this thread - seriously.

I was one of the only ones crying in AA meetings. I felt "not part of." Some people told me I should go outside when I started to cry. I don't know if it was for my comfort or theirs. Why would I go outside and feel (even more) ostracized?

I refused to go outside. I figured it had to come out and I'd been running from my emotions long enough and wasn't going to hide them away for someone else. I got over it, don't really care if it bothered someone else. That's their issue.

Your emotions are valid. No one has ever said that to me in my life, so I'm saying it to you so that you'll know they are Nature's Way and nothing wrong with it. Yeah, it was a little confusing/overwhelming in the beginning because finally I could feel them - but there's nothing wrong with being sensitive. I don't think I could predictably manage the crying for about two to four weeks.

Trying to control it or only do it in private?

Old 11-03-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sober style

It's your party, and you'll cry if you want to!
Old 11-03-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Crying a lot in early sobriety is pretty normal for both women and men. Usually a lot of emotions going on. Just not running to the drink for every little reason can make an alcoholic want to bawl.

M-Bob
Old 11-03-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, Soberwaitress! Awesome on your sober time. I was very emotional when I stopped drinking. I still am; I used to repress my emotions with drink- now at 23 months sober I experience them naturally. Best wishes on your sober journey. SR is a fabulous place for advice and support.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I did my fair share of crying too - manly crying of course
Of course! Lol!

I too did my fair share of crying. I think the alcohol numbed things for so long. Once it was gone I was able to actually feel again.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm 68 days today, and still have occasional bouts where I'm tearing up for no apparent reason. I remember in my 1st 2 weeks, crying was a daily occurrence.
A fellow member told me "those are tears of healing". I like to think of it that way.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Once I started going to meetings because I wanted/needed to; I cried a few times. Mine was from all the crap I had been drinking over,done while drinking(hurt people,ect..) and how I had no time machine to 'fix it/them'. Once I realized and accepted that it is what it is/time to move forward from it;the crying stopped.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

“To me there are three things everyone should do every day. Number one is laugh. Number two is think -- spend some time time in thought. Number three, you should have your emotions move you to tears. If you laugh, think and cry, that's a heck of a day.”

― Jim Valvano

Valvano wasn't an alcoholic, to my knowledge. He was a legendary college basketball coach. This quote is from a speech he gave just days before he died of cancer. The speech is on YouTube and has been viewed millions of times. It is quite inspirational.