Notices

Blackout

Old 11-02-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blackout

Hi there,
I had a blackout on October Friday 13th at a work Function @Lord Charles hotel. I only drank white wine but believed I had some weed as well but couldn't remembered smoking it. I trashed the hotel room, attacked my coworkers physically, stripped naked and said a lot of curse words.

The only thing I could remember was faces but not what people said or what I did. I've been ashamed of myself and still is but had to go back to work and face it. U apologized to everyone I did wrong but no one will ever look at me the same way. Some people at work are fine, they not treating me differently, I still have an on going case at work not sure how it will all Play out.

I want to see someone professional to help me remember and I want to know how or what Triggered it. Have any one tried to seek help, to trigger those memories?

Regards
MrHamilton
Old 11-02-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Blackouts will never be remembered. This is because the memory is never even formed in your brain. There is nothing to remember, as far as your brain is concerned. I had some blackouts at the end of my drinking days and they are very scary.

I'm not sure what would have triggered it in your case, but when you are drinking alcoholically, there is no stop button and you cross over into a blackout state without being aware you are doing so.

Here is a definition:

A blackout is a phenomenon caused by the intake of any substance or medication in which short term and long term memory creation is impaired, therefore causing a complete inability to recall the past.

I hope you decide to stop drinking.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i dont know any about your drinking history, but what triggered it could simply be untreated alcoholism.
personally i didnt have to have the blackout memories remembered. i had enough times i was just in a brownout and remembered to get an idea of what occurred during the blackouts to know.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No and it's actually better not to remember them. They aren't usually fond memories I'd like to cherish and relive and relish in. If you are fighting this legally or what not, it's a lost cause since they don't care if you remember or not.

seriously, be glad you have no recollection. At the end (and probably throughout) I had a lot and my husband recorded a few to show me and others. He probably still has them. don't get me started on him but he used to show them to me the next day, or try. Last thing I wanted to deal with.

as someone else said, I have had a enough brown outs and I remembered wavering in and out between black and brown and it was just awful. I was physically abusive, etc. During some of my regular drunken states I was also physically abusive so I don't think the gravity of these varied much as all. It was all the same nonsense but I'm relieved not to have memories of these wonderful events. Pics and others' videos are more than enough. oh, and my horrible words seen around the internet, on my phone, and obviously other people's the next day.

there was the time I called my friend's kid ugly, etc. I could go on and on. bitter memories.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And not to rub salt into wounds, but how do you still have your job? Isn't all of this immediate grounds for dismissal?
Old 11-02-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope this incident will convince you to stop drinking completely. Blacking out is dangerous and horrible things can happen. I know a guy who woke up in jail and didn't know he'd killed a woman while driving drunk. He has no memory of it but has 8 yrs to think about it in prison.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

I know that feeling too unfortunately.
If you still have your job that is great, and you should focus on that.
Was this an isolated event or something that happens often?
Old 11-02-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome MrHamilton

I'm with Anna - you can't access the memory because it's not there.

as for the 'trigger', I think the simplest explanation is best - you're a drinker like me and the ingestion of alcohol leads you to do stupid embarrassing things that are contrary to your real self.

Life sober is way way better

D
Old 11-02-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m not sure it matters what happened. You weren’t really there. I see my blackouts that way, that I left the building and something else took over. It doesn’t mean I don’t apologize, I drank knowing the uncertainty of the night’s outcome and I drank knowing I don’t drink safely so it is on me.

Focus now on the fact that you need never blackout again. What if someone handed you a set of keys and said “see that door over there? Go through it, and you’ll never have amnesia again.” It’s the sober door. I went through it for the exact same reason.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum MrHamilton!!
Old 11-04-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Those memories? Forget about them, they're gone. Actually they never even formed. Chances are you probably don't really want to know. Just move on, make a change.

~Bunnez
Old 11-04-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've trashed quite a few hotel rooms in my time. It gets expensive and they are getting much better at attaching items securely to fixed structures. Don't even get me started on flat screen TVs. I think it took me a long time to figure out that this behavior was inappropriate, not to mention a little wasteful. So call yourself a fast learner. Onward and upward.