Notices

Halloween - something awoke

Old 10-31-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Halloween - something awoke

Here in the UK we have a fairly new (this century) "thing" called Stoptober whereby a person quits something for a the month of October, usually booze or cigarettes and that person may elect to do this for a charity.

Back in September of 2014 I was in a bad way with my drinking - half a bottle of whiskey most weekdays, a bit more at weekends. I decided I would quit in October and before then I would work hard and press gang as many people as I could into sponsoring me. I figured this would give me the added backbone I needed to quit - at least for a month.

A small aside here, I have long since realised that someone who is an alcoholic/has a drink or drug problem trying to enlist a charity undertaking as part of a recovery effort is a really dumb idea, quite apart fom anything else it just adds to the pressure.

Any after a month badgering all and sundry to sponsor my non drinking October the month duly arrived - and I did not make it. Using will power alone I caved in at day 23.

I was unbelievably down at this time and told no one, partly because I did not want to let the charity down but mostly because I did not want my work collegues to know that I had an alcohol problem (I sort of still don't although I am a little more forthcoming now)

Obviously I felt really at taking people's money on the back of a lie so to assuage my gilt I matched everyone's donation so the charity got double which amounted to a fair sum.

Because my pledges amounted to quite a lot I was invited to a fancy Halloween Ball which had a bar that opened on the stroke of midnight. I drank then of course but I drank much more when I got home, it's what I did in those days.

All told it was a very low ebb for me but it did move me to reach out eventually. Sometime in November a found SR and became a "lurker" - someone who reads posts but has not become a member but I digested some of the excellent advice and finally quit at the end of December that year(2014) and joined SR a few days later.

What I learned from the experience was that will power on its own is not enough, we must have support and be prepared to work at recovery.

I went to one of those parties as Alice Cooper btw - this is me at my sisters immediately prior to the party.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Screenshot_20171031-173128.jpg (69.8 KB, 78 views)
Old 10-31-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Spooky!

I mean, good story sao. You're a handsome guy - I think - *squints through the makeup*

Sounds like you made amends regarding the charity. And you're coming up on three years sober. Excellent.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that Sao

D
Old 10-31-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great success story Sao...love it! Congrats!
Old 10-31-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

glad it lead to a turning point for you Sao

I never really understand people who get sponsored for giving up drinking. if it's easy for you, why should people sponsor you? or if it's hard, you're signposting to everyone that you have a drink problem

your costume must have been prophetic, as Alice Cooper hasn't touched a drop in decades
Old 10-31-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, Sao. Going all serious on Bim’s funny comment: As the saying goes, “Handsome is, as handsome does”. So, yes...you are and you have done...handsomely. Thanks for being such a friend and comrade here.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing from that time in your life, Sao. It was very human, very moving.

You've come so far since that dark month. Congratulations!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great story Sao, specially for halloween, you did 23 days almost the month so i think all in all it was amazing. Thank you for sharing and for the advice to get support

wait Alice Cooper is sober