Notices

Withdrawals Suck

Old 10-31-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawals Suck

Ugh. Hands are shaking. Nauseous. Horrible Anxiety. I worked out this morning, that helped some. Have an appt. with my doc later today.

I’ll be on here to keep from going to a bar.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go Horn95. I hope you feel better soon. Hang on.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep it sucks. Have you tried AA? Meetings saved my butt early on. I would go to 3-4 a day to keep from drinking.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sending you support Horn. Keep someone close to you and get your ass to an ER if things get too bad. Withdrawal is not something to mess with. And remember how this feels. It does suck. You only have to go through this once. Punch through to the other side and you can start to live your life again.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just think this is the last time you will have to go through this!!!!!

Keep us posted.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just an update..... Shakes are gone; same with the other symptoms. Anxiety is a bit edgy. But all in all. The physical stuff is gone. Hopefully I can get some decent sleep tonight.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling a bit bet Horn. I hope you can work out some stuff you can add to whatever you've been doiung to stay sober.

More changes? more support? using the support you have better?

It's entirely possible for this to be the last time you need to feel like this

D
Old 10-31-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Withdrawal is horrible, but just think - if you don't drink again, you won't have to go thru them again.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Just an update..... Shakes are gone; same with the other symptoms. Anxiety is a bit edgy. But all in all. The physical stuff is gone. Hopefully I can get some decent sleep tonight.
Glad you are feeling better. Try to remember what you just went through, and know it doesn't have to happen again. Get some kind of support man. Only a drunk can understand the nightmare of withdrawals. John
Old 11-01-2017, 03:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Glad you are feeling better. Try to remember what you just went through, and know it doesn't have to happen again. Get some kind of support man. Only a drunk can understand the nightmare of withdrawals. John
Glad you are feeling better. I am a little more than 24 hours sober and feeling nervous. Massive sweating during the night, anxious, and jittery. Stomach and head feel like I got hit with a board. Friends, any other recommendations to what I’ve seen? I’m stocked up on healthy food, magnesium, decaf coffee, calming music, and working at home so my team cannot see any shakes. Husband is with me too.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Ugh. Hands are shaking. Nauseous. Horrible Anxiety. I worked out this morning, that helped some. Have an appt. with my doc later today.

I’ll be on here to keep from going to a bar.
Good luck! Hang on and be kind to yourself. I’m joining you and others on the journey. My first day.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Last night was weird. Near the end of the evening I started itching all over — which I understand CAN be part of withdrawal (overactive nerves). Started feeling a little anxious and nauseous. I was not feeling well. At that point it had been about 29 hours after my last drink.

But I was able to get to sleep. Minimal sweating. And up after 3 hours sleep, then up about about every hour and a half.

Had some anxiety today, and a little shaking. But I think it also had to do with a very important business deal I began negotiating today.

Feeling pretty good now. Thought of a drink, though, makes me ill.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Acute withdrawal can last for several days, so there's really not anything "usual" about the process - symptoms vary from person to person. Glad you were able to get some sleep, anxiety is very common during withdrawals.

Have you come up with any ideas on what you might implement to make this be the last time you have to go through withdrawals? The feeling ill about drinking and the symptoms will likely pass soon - and temptation always rears it's head again eventually.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

Have you come up with any ideas on what you might implement to make this be the last time you have to go through withdrawals? The feeling ill about drinking and the symptoms will likely pass soon - and temptation always rears it's head again eventually.
No, no need. I made a bad decision. I used marital problems as an excuse to drink. I could easily have gone to an AA meeting. I could have by the gym. I just made a bad decision.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, no need.
man honestly - you need a better plan - one that incorporates what to do when you have a fight for example.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 11-01-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This can be your last withdrawal if you desire.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is rough, and it's hard and beyond unpleasant. Don't forget a second of it bc it will be a huge reason why not to drink. It will get worse the next time.
You should always see a doctor to withdrawl as it can kill you.
I cannot advocate that and physical activity and support enough especially in the very early days. Sleep and water. Cleaner eating with some treats. This is probably the last of pity pot living, so baby yourself. Once you live a sober lifestyle for a couple months you realize how much growth you have stunted. Not pretty, but it will definitely make you a stronger individual. Big things, little things, everything you get through without a drink will build you up. Feels amazing.
You don't ever have to feel like this again.
GL
Jules
Old 11-02-2017, 01:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Hospital Stay for Withdrawal

I just spent four days at a hospital detoxing, i had come off an epic weeklong bender. Detoxing sucks but having medical supervision was good. My potassium levels had dropped dangerously low, which I had no idea was an issue, they were able to give me bags and bags of iv drips for that and dehydration plus multivitamins. They also monitored for the DTs and gave me Ativan for anxiety.

I punished my body and could have died. Alcohol is soul and life sucking poison.