Notices

Day 1- breaking up, surgery, and admitting the problem

Old 10-31-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1- breaking up, surgery, and admitting the problem

I am going through a heady trifecta of recovering from ACL knee surgery (5 weeks today), a breakup with my boyfriend of 8 years, and coming to grips with the realization that I have a drinking problem (which is also the major source of current break up). I know that normal people don't drink the way I do (alone with a bottle of whiskey is my choice of poison). Drinking used to be a treat- a celebration. Now it just feels sad.

I am scared though- it's so easy to grab that bottle & check out.

I have been feeling a lot of pressure from work... and it doesn't help that drinking makes me less productive, less able to cope with the high performance standard that I and others around me expect. I have spent a lot of time lately just letting people know I am struggling. From my tiny insecurities that I am going to go to physical therapy without shaving my legs to just even telling my sister and best friend what is going on (that my relationship is failing and that I have a drinking problem). Without being too specific about what my job is- suffice it to say that I have what was supposed to be my dream job. Two years ago I had a panic attack during a meeting and since then I have been self medicating with alcohol. And the self-medication became more... it became me not dealing with my problems. Then it began making my problems worse.

There is an AA meeting that I can walk to tomorrow that I am going to check out- I have gone to one before and I didn't like how sad everyone felt. I also know that I can afford a therapist and this is what therapy is meant for. Has anyone had luck with CBT therapy?

I am scared about withdrawals. My boyfriend is still here- I'm not alone. I trust that if anything bad happens he will take care of me. I have been having a lot of trouble eating lately- hard to separate what is from alcohol, what is from surgery, and what is from heartbreak.

I also went and bought a pregnancy test today. I am not even 24 hours sober right now, but the nausea and hyper sensitivity to smell was worrying me (results were negative, thank goodness)

I am scared to post this, but I need to commit. I need to commit to sobriety and admit I have a problem... and work on the solution....

Which is not drinking.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhenStarsGoBlue View Post
I am going through a heady trifecta of recovering from ACL knee surgery (5 weeks today), a breakup with my boyfriend of 8 years, and coming to grips with the realization that I have a drinking problem (which is also the major source of current break up). I know that normal people don't drink the way I do (alone with a bottle of whiskey is my choice of poison). Drinking used to be a treat- a celebration. Now it just feels sad.

I am scared though- it's so easy to grab that bottle & check out.

I have been feeling a lot of pressure from work... and it doesn't help that drinking makes me less productive, less able to cope with the high performance standard that I and others around me expect. I have spent a lot of time lately just letting people know I am struggling. From my tiny insecurities that I am going to go to physical therapy without shaving my legs to just even telling my sister and best friend what is going on (that my relationship is failing and that I have a drinking problem). Without being too specific about what my job is- suffice it to say that I have what was supposed to be my dream job. Two years ago I had a panic attack during a meeting and since then I have been self medicating with alcohol. And the self-medication became more... it became me not dealing with my problems. Then it began making my problems worse.

There is an AA meeting that I can walk to tomorrow that I am going to check out- I have gone to one before and I didn't like how sad everyone felt. I also know that I can afford a therapist and this is what therapy is meant for. Has anyone had luck with CBT therapy?

I am scared about withdrawals. My boyfriend is still here- I'm not alone. I trust that if anything bad happens he will take care of me. I have been having a lot of trouble eating lately- hard to separate what is from alcohol, what is from surgery, and what is from heartbreak.

I also went and bought a pregnancy test today. I am not even 24 hours sober right now, but the nausea and hyper sensitivity to smell was worrying me (results were negative, thank goodness)

I am scared to post this, but I need to commit. I need to commit to sobriety and admit I have a problem... and work on the solution....

Which is not drinking.
Just posted for the first time as I too am coming to grips with my problem. It might sound weird but I wanted to say I am proud of you and I wish you strength. I feel so alone and ashamed; wanted you to know someone else is here struggling too...
Old 10-31-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey. I hope you get through the first few days ok. I'm on day 2 and its very tough mentally.

CBT has worked well for me and I would recommend it. I've found that times I haven't been continuing to do CBT my mood and behaviour can get out of control.

I haven't tried an AA meeting yet but I'm desperate for this time to work so I may give it a go. I would like to know how your AA meeting goes. I too, haven't gone because they have that sort of sad look to them. But perhaps this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hope you manage the first few days ok.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am certainly very sorry for these hard circumstances, but could there be a better time to quit? If you do, and give it a solid couple of months you will be shocked at how much better it be. Life still happens, but adding alcohol makes it harder, many ways worse.
GL.
You can and deserve to be happy.
Jules
Old 10-31-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’ve always been told & also tell my kids, “Anything in life worth working for is going to be hard, but worth it!”
My own journey has proven this to me. My light bulb moment is different than yours, but the end result is the same...sobriety. Keep your eye on the constant goal of sobriety. I wish u lots of luck in your journey!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a hard day, with or without an alcohol problem.

Nice that your boyfriend is there for you despite a looming breakup, lean on his friendship and the people at AA. The part of them that makes them express their sadness is the part of them that knows to nurture others.

Sending you healing thoughts and a hug.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are being very brave. I'm new to all this too but just wanted to let you know you aren't alone.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi When StarsGoBlue
You've fouind a place of great support and understandiung here - you are not alone

Welcome

D
Old 10-31-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi WSGB -

Sounds like you recognize the cost that alcohol is having on your life & you're thinking through your options.

Quitting alcohol is going to be the best thing you've ever done for yourself. It is hard work, but worth it.

I tried and failed a bunch, (always learning from it tho) until I made quitting my number 1 priority & renewed that vow daily.

We're here for you!
Old 11-02-2017, 02:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 3.5

Just a quick update... still sober & feeling so much better even with everything that is happening. I told my sister & parents about everything which was so scary. My sister flew out to support me which is amazing of her. I've been feeling so alone for so long. To open up & be vulnerable and instead of my deepest fears- being met with judgment & shame I have received only love & support.

I read some of Brene Brown's "Braving the Wilderness" tonight & sobbed like a child. Also reading posts here when I need a little pick up. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-02-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Awesome update!

I'm so glad that your sister is coming to be with you - there's a magical thing when we allow ourselves to lean on someone when we need support. It's a good karma kind of thing in both directions.

Lookit you, too. You're halfway to a week already.

O
Old 11-02-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, be so proud of yourself! That admitting to people you have a problem is the BIGGEST step and you have done it. Consider this a 'cyber-high-5'. Proud of you x
Old 11-02-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.