Notices

5 days in...

Old 10-30-2017, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 days in...

First post. But have been reading the threads, and it has helped the past couple days. It has been a long time coming to get sober. I'm truly sick and tired, of being sick and tired. I definitely understand that statement at this point. It's beyond the guilt, anxiety, depression, phisical and mental damage, shame, and money lost, that drinking has caused me. It's also wasting time and energy, while missing out on life and the events I should be sober and enjoying, instead of locking myself away from life while getting drunk everyday. But most importantly it's the relationships I have drained dry, including not being a better Father to my 4 year old, that he most certainly deserves. I want to make him proud and when he looks into my eyes he will see his true father not masked by the bottle. He's my main motivation for sure, and I'm truly optimistic going into this!

One day at a time! That's all I am focusing on.

Thankful I found a community that's as much as a drunk I am, without booze, juke box and neon lights included! Just war stories....
Old 10-30-2017, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome, glad you decided to post and you hit the nail right on the head with me, sans child.
Sobriety. You owe it to yourself you owe it to your child ad you owe it to the world at large. It's hard to contribute laid up drunk or hungover and that's the way I was the last twenty years of my drinking career. How self-centered. How pathetic.
Barkeeps and liquor store clerks were my friends. I had lines of credit with them. Pathetic, I know.

It's been six years ten months since this drunk has had a drink, and you can do it too.
Do whatever it takes. You sound serious, so take it seriously.
Thanks for your post. I see myself and I never want to go back.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome TyGuy

D
Old 10-31-2017, 01:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I definitely want my child to be proud of me too. We can make it happen😀
Old 10-31-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi TyGuy. The comments you made and concerns you expressed could have been mine. I am totally motivated to stop this crap and get out of the swirling emotions, money wasting, time wasting, embarrassment, insecurities and on and on. Hang in there and focus on the light at the end of the tunnel. The harder you focus the shorter the tunnel will become and the sooner you will bask in the light.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Tyguy?

D
Old 10-31-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

I’m just ending day 3 . It’s going to be a tough road ahead but worth it!
Old 10-31-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, TyGuy. Congrats on your 5 days sober. It gets so much better as you go along. I'm glad you made the decision to change your life.

Anarock - 3 days is great - we know how difficult those first few are. The anxiety should start to ease up a bit. Yes, well worth it.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It's great to meet you, TyGuy. Congrats on your 5 days sober. It gets so much better as you go along. I'm glad you made the decision to change your life.

Anarock - 3 days is great - we know how difficult those first few are. The anxiety should start to ease up a bit. Yes, well worth it.
Thanks. It is difficult but the hard days for me are the weekend. Come Friday/ Saturday there’s going to be a huge struggle for me.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Tyguy!

You have found a great community for support.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in. I'm 1 day.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can tell that you really want to stop, Ty. That’s the first step. So good job.

You’ve got this. Just keep reminding yourself of why you’re doing this. I made a decision to stop drinking four and half months ago and ... let me tell you ... it is absolutely glorious.

My two young kids are reaping the benefits. My wife is happier. And I’ve never felt better.

I was drinking daily, 12 ... 15.. 18 beers. Every. Single. Day.

Keep it up — you’ll be over the hump soon.