All my friends are.... addicts

Old 10-26-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

All my friends are.... addicts

So in the last few days I have been doing a lot of self reflection of why I continue being attracted to addicts, I took a look at my social life. They're all addicts, all of them, my friends that I've known and grown close to in the last 5 to 6 years. That's why naturally I have been drawn to addicts. I guess it all "fit" socially. Well not anymore.

With great sadness I decided, in the last day or 2, to gracefully cut my friendship from this group. I have been mentally preparing for this, and I decided that this weekend will be the last time I hang out with them before I bow out citing me getting busy with life or something. It's not like they will notice.

Then I get notification from one of my alcoholic friends that its going to be a 2 day party and she has been counting the bottles of alcohol and everything.

Now I don't want to meet up with them one last time. Just very sad about this. Seems right but also seems harsh, but maybe that's the codependent voice talking. Idk anymore.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Girl,
I can completely understand why you would not want to attend a "2 day" party. I have never heard of such a thing, and that is saying something considering I am a recovering addict myself. It may feel like you are being harsh, however, I think you severing the friendship with this group of people is 100% understandable and reasonable. It may be painful, but I bet you will end up with a much healthier group of friends given some time.

Personally, I cut off every one of my old friends when I got into recovery. To my surprise, no one tried to track me down. Today I am friends with strong, successful women. I feel inspired by my friends instead of feeling dragged down by them. I wish you the best.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All my friends took a back seat after my relationship started with my addict. Didn't see or rarely spoke to any of them. My focus was her.

Today it would be very difficult for me to be around active addicts even if they were friends. I'm not interested in seeing all that BS going on. My tolerance level for it all is like zero. Not sure id even have much to say to them.

If I want to be around that kind of BS - I know right where to go & get it quickly!
Old 10-26-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

KRae, thanks for your input, for some reason they seem like the kind of people who wouldn't reach out either. Yes, I want friends that I can look up to and inspire me that sounds amazing to me, and not drag me down. I hope to make those kind of friends soon.

Yup Hardlessons, my tolerance is at 0 right now. I feel a mix of emotions, sad, guilty for leaving my friends, looking forward to the future, confused, I dont know.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Girl1101 View Post
So in the last few days I have been doing a lot of self reflection of why I continue being attracted to addicts, I took a look at my social life. They're all addicts, all of them, my friends that I've known and grown close to in the last 5 to 6 years. That's why naturally I have been drawn to addicts. I guess it all "fit" socially. Well not anymore.

With great sadness I decided, in the last day or 2, to gracefully cut my friendship from this group. I have been mentally preparing for this, and I decided that this weekend will be the last time I hang out with them before I bow out citing me getting busy with life or something. It's not like they will notice.

Then I get notification from one of my alcoholic friends that its going to be a 2 day party and she has been counting the bottles of alcohol and everything.

Now I don't want to meet up with them one last time. Just very sad about this. Seems right but also seems harsh, but maybe that's the codependent voice talking. Idk anymore.
Growing up me and all my friends were drug abusers, I grew up around it and it’s what I’m use too...I think that’s part of why I fall for addicts, it’s not weird to me and I don’t see them as an addict...something I’m still working on as I have stopped using....at times I feel I will never change.