Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I am experiencing alcohol withdrawal for the first time and it has shaken me

Notices

Old 10-24-2017, 11:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have been an alcoholic for 3 years. Prior 2015, I didn't drink. At all. Never in those 3 years have I experienced withdrawal. Horrible hangovers, yeah, but not withdrawal. This morning, withdrawal has destroyed my body.

When I was a kid, I befriended a WW2 vet. He would tell me stories. He once told me that during the war, he didn't think he would be killed. He experienced situations where rounds missed his body by a few inches, but he always told me himself that he wouldn't die. That it would happen to someone else, and not him. I guess it was a survival mechanism that prevented him from completely breaking down while confronting the horrors that were all around him.

I have been thinking about what that man told me this morning, because I also thought withdrawal would not happen to me. I stupidly and naively thought I would never get to that point, despite going on a three-week binge this month.

I feel horrible - as if I have been afflicted by a deadly virus. I've had malaria before and it didn't feel this bad. I'm going to try and take this lesson as a wake up call me for to really turn my life around. It has not only hit me physically, but mentally, I will admit to being shaken.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey catlover, it is really scary and painful- both physically and psychologically- what you are going through. There is some good news though: 1. it passes and the worst part does pass relatively quickly. 2. you never, ever have to go through this again if you make this the last quit.
I can say from experience that it does get worse.
If things get really bad for you you should consider seeing your doctor or going to the ER, they can help you get through this with less pain.
If you are able to manage at home be sure to drink plenty of water. Eat when you can, something healthy like a piece of fruit or yogurt. Exercise also really helped me. Of course you are not going to be super strong or able right now, but even just a light walk or run will do.
What do you think you can do to ensure continued sobriety? What was missing from before that led you to drink again. I remember you from a while back, that you were here trying. What new supports and tactics do you need in order to help you with this?
Wishing you well.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Hey catlover, it is really scary and painful- both physically and psychologically- what you are going through. There is some good news though: 1. it passes and the worst part does pass relatively quickly. 2. you never, ever have to go through this again if you make this the last quit.
I can say from experience that it does get worse.
If things get really bad for you you should consider seeing your doctor or going to the ER, they can help you get through this with less pain.
If you are able to manage at home be sure to drink plenty of water. Eat when you can, something healthy like a piece of fruit or yogurt. Exercise also really helped me. Of course you are not going to be super strong or able right now, but even just a light walk or run will do.
What do you think you can do to ensure continued sobriety? What was missing from before that led you to drink again. I remember you from a while back, that you were here trying. What new supports and tactics do you need in order to help you with this?
Wishing you well.

Thanks for all the great advice. Especially about the nutrition. I live alone and sometimes work long hours, so I often miss meals. And my drinking habit exacerbates the situation. I will look into eating better from now.

As for the new tactics I need to adopt to help me quit - I need to take it more seriously. I can't succumb to my most primitive urge to drink so easily. I don't even put up a fight. And I also need to distance myself from those who drink a lot.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, it is really frustrating that we can't just decide "ok, I want to quit now" and then be done with it. It takes a LOT of work. It can be frustrating at times but I do think it is a lot like going to the gym, the more you work at it, the more results you see and the easier it gets. You have to say no to those urges and sometimes that requires putting up a pretty big fight.

I used to miss meals a lot too. When I did eat it was generally healthy, but I skipped a lot of meals due to what I perceived as not having time to stop and eat or just not having much of an appetite. When I went to rehab it was the first time in my adult life that I was forced to and thus, participated in, eating three healthy meals a day. I haven't been perfect about keeping up that habit, but I still do try and push myself to eat regularly. Eating healthy is an easy habit to get into I think. I used to eat poorly, a lot of soda, sugar, things like that. Once I moved to Italy my access to unhealthy foods was more limited and my diet naturally changed. It was not a difficult transition for me. I still enjoy various treats, for example I almost always order dessert when out at a restaurant, but the portions are always very appropriate. At home dessert for me and my children is a piece of fruit, a flavoured yogurt or a fruit salad. And yes, we occasionally walk to the local gelateria!
Old 10-25-2017, 12:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What day are you in? I too thought that withdrawals happened to others, but they finally caught up to me around 8 years or so of hard drinking.

This is no way medical advice but adding supplements helped me greatly. Fresh vegetable juice as well. When you drink heavily your body is depleted of vitamins and essential minerals. I've been taking a vitamin b complex (important), magnesium, potassium, and a multi-vitamin. During the early part of withdrawal and after binging your electrolytes are out of whack.

I'd recommend seeing a doctor, especially if your symptoms start to get bad. Tremors, hallucinations, racing heart, sweats, DTs, etc. Usually by day 4 you're going to start feeling better. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, it is really frustrating that we can't just decide "ok, I want to quit now" and then be done with it. It takes a LOT of work. It can be frustrating at times but I do think it is a lot like going to the gym, the more you work at it, the more results you see and the easier it gets. You have to say no to those urges and sometimes that requires putting up a pretty big fight.

I used to miss meals a lot too. When I did eat it was generally healthy, but I skipped a lot of meals due to what I perceived as not having time to stop and eat or just not having much of an appetite. When I went to rehab it was the first time in my adult life that I was forced to and thus, participated in, eating three healthy meals a day. I haven't been perfect about keeping up that habit, but I still do try and push myself to eat regularly. Eating healthy is an easy habit to get into I think. I used to eat poorly, a lot of soda, sugar, things like that. Once I moved to Italy my access to unhealthy foods was more limited and my diet naturally changed. It was not a difficult transition for me. I still enjoy various treats, for example I almost always order dessert when out at a restaurant, but the portions are always very appropriate. At home dessert for me and my children is a piece of fruit, a flavoured yogurt or a fruit salad. And yes, we occasionally walk to the local gelateria!

Thank you for sharing your story. Gosh, what you wrote about soda and sugar hit home. That's pretty much me. I do love cooking, but just don't get around to it much. Eating junk food, takeaways or missing a meal, is pretty much my life. Regarding eating regularly - I have been thinking of setting up a schedule. I've never liked breakfast - even when I was a child. Just don't have an appetite shortly after waking up. But have a couple slices of toast won't hurt.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juicer View Post
What day are you in? I too thought that withdrawals happened to others, but they finally caught up to me around 8 years or so of hard drinking.

This is no way medical advice but adding supplements helped me greatly. Fresh vegetable juice as well. When you drink heavily your body is depleted of vitamins and essential minerals. I've been taking a vitamin b complex (important), magnesium, potassium, and a multi-vitamin. During the early part of withdrawal and after binging your electrolytes are out of whack.

I'd recommend seeing a doctor, especially if your symptoms start to get bad. Tremors, hallucinations, racing heart, sweats, DTs, etc. Usually by day 4 you're going to start feeling better. Good luck.
I'm on Day 1. Yesterday I drank, but not heavily. Just a few shots of whisky. Didn't get drunk. Just tipsy. Woke up fine this morning but at work, the symptoms hit me.

I think I'm going to go home. I feel horrible. Withdrawal is no joke. Don't know if I can drive in this state.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, breakfast is the toughest meal for me too, I have to admit I skip it a lot. I really don't get hungry until about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. But I am really trying to eat on a regular schedule, I do feel that having food in my system helps with alcohol cravings and urges. For breakfast I try to make a piece of toast with some jam. If I really can't eat I always have coffee with whole milk. I figure I am at least getting some calories with the milk.
I know that some people struggle a lot with sugar addiction and then in turn, cutting out sugar. However, I found it relatively easy. For example years ago I stopped putting sugar in my coffee. The first day it tasted so disgusting I could barely drink it. The next day was bad, but better. By the third day it was delicious. Now I cannot drink coffee with sugar, it is not a good taste for me. Sodas were pretty easy to cut out too, though now that I have quit drinking alcohol I have picked up a pretty intense ginger ale/ginger beer habit. I think a big key is making really tasty, enjoyable health food. It doesn't have to all be diet, just healthy. i would estimate that I am 2 or 3 kilos overweight (I don't have a scale so I can't tell for sure) but I really don't worry about that because I know I eat healthy- and I enjoy it- and I exercise all the time in a healthy, non-obsessive way. Being, and more importantly, feeling healthy has been another good tool in my tool-box to staying sober. It really is easier to do this and concentrate on the things I need to concentrate on when my worries are not placed elsewhere.
No to minimise the struggle with weight or health that others have, I know I am very fortunate in that department, but I did work to get here. I am currently 26-27 kilos (about 55 pounds) lighter than I was about 7 years ago. I lost the weight and kept it off mostly through heavy weight training. My diet is more or less the same as it was 7 years ago, I just increased my physical activity.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's a part of "kindling" where the effects get worse and worse over time. I went from just a mild hangover the next morning, to all day hangovers, to horrific hangovers often times lasting days, to severe panic attacks and feeling like absolute hell often times for up to a week from just one night of drinking.
It's just not worth it and stopping now will be a great thing, as it just gets nothing but worse.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You inspired me, I just had a yogurt as a late breakfast. Now I am off for a walk with some music. I hope you feel better today. Really, if you can try and get out for a short walk. The increased blood flow seems to help things- also sweating out the toxins. Try to avoid junk food today, it will only lead to a sugar/carb crash later on and you will feel worse. That doesn't mean you have to all out avoid sugars and carbs, just try to get them in a healthy way Whole wheat pasta, fruits, vegetables. Don't forget protein- meat, eggs, cheese or beans.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, breakfast is the toughest meal for me too, I have to admit I skip it a lot. I really don't get hungry until about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. But I am really trying to eat on a regular schedule, I do feel that having food in my system helps with alcohol cravings and urges. For breakfast I try to make a piece of toast with some jam. If I really can't eat I always have coffee with whole milk. I figure I am at least getting some calories with the milk.
I know that some people struggle a lot with sugar addiction and then in turn, cutting out sugar. However, I found it relatively easy. For example years ago I stopped putting sugar in my coffee. The first day it tasted so disgusting I could barely drink it. The next day was bad, but better. By the third day it was delicious. Now I cannot drink coffee with sugar, it is not a good taste for me. Sodas were pretty easy to cut out too, though now that I have quit drinking alcohol I have picked up a pretty intense ginger ale/ginger beer habit. I think a big key is making really tasty, enjoyable health food. It doesn't have to all be diet, just healthy. i would estimate that I am 2 or 3 kilos overweight (I don't have a scale so I can't tell for sure) but I really don't worry about that because I know I eat healthy- and I enjoy it- and I exercise all the time in a healthy, non-obsessive way. Being, and more importantly, feeling healthy has been another good tool in my tool-box to staying sober. It really is easier to do this and concentrate on the things I need to concentrate on when my worries are not placed elsewhere.
No to minimise the struggle with weight or health that others have, I know I am very fortunate in that department, but I did work to get here. I am currently 26-27 kilos (about 55 pounds) lighter than I was about 7 years ago. I lost the weight and kept it off mostly through heavy weight training. My diet is more or less the same as it was 7 years ago, I just increased my physical activity.
It's the opposite for me. Alcohol has prompted me to lose weight, instead of gaining it. It's actually hard for me to gain weight (like everyone else in my family). I actually feel like I need to gain weight. Not happy with the weight I have lost.

What changed with you? Regarding stopping drinking. What made you stop?
Old 10-25-2017, 02:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yikes, that is a huge question! I could give a million little details and examples of the hell on earth that was my life when drinking but I guess the biggest issue was the erosion of my soul. I just no longer felt human, even in the simplest of ways. I was still going through the motions in terms of life, but really there was no joy or life in me.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yikes, that is a huge question! I could give a million little details and examples of the hell on earth that was my life when drinking but I guess the biggest issue was the erosion of my soul. I just no longer felt human, even in the simplest of ways. I was still going through the motions in terms of life, but really there was no joy or life in me.
Yes, I can understand where you are coming from. Yesterday I was drinking shots of whisky. Planned to get wasted but after a while, I thought "what the hell am I doing with my life?"And stopped at the tipsy stage.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Samantha

Withdrawal is no joke.
I have only had the anxiety and insomnia so far but even that can mess with your head.
The physical symptoms make it much worse, I’m sure.
I’m terrible for skipping meals and try to eat low carb, now sugar protein bars if I go too long without a meal (under 200 calories) so at least I have something.
Staying hydrated and fed is important right now!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things today catlover1989?

D