Notices

1st post, 1st action

Old 10-24-2017, 01:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st post, 1st action

Hi all. My last drink was 3 days ago. I found this site this morning whilst browsing the internet for something encouraging or supportive. I liked what I found so I signed up.
I decided that the best way for me to start was to engage with this community right away so this is my positive 1st move.
Little piece of my story...
I'm male, 50, husband, father.
Probably best described as high functioning alcohol dependant.
Drinking every day, 4 to 8 beers, maybe skipping a day or 2 a month to prove to myself I can stop for a day.
Waking up most mornings deciding that today will be my sober day...and most days finding a reason why tomorrow will be my sober day instead.
I have low energy, stiff joints, back aches, red patches around my cheeks, dry flaky skin on my nose and forehead, night sweats, bleeding gums, excessive flatulence, occasional hand tremors, morning brain fog, a loving family and a need, determination and desire to be sober and to re-become the complete version of me once again .
I'm starting out now on Sober Day 3.
I hope to post my thoughts progress and challenges here so that I may both provide and receive some help or support.
Thank you.
SoberVictor
Old 10-24-2017, 01:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Victor. Welcome to the community. It's definitly made a massive difference to my own sobriety and recovery to have the support, experience, strength and hope that I find on these boards. Well, this plus AA.

Getting through those early days is tough. Funny, because I too had done some temporary abstainance in order to proove to myself that I didn't have a problem. It never occurred to me that a normal person would just think, 'Hmmm. I've been drinking more than I'd like lately', and stop. They wouldn't tie themselves in knots about whether they did or didn't have a problem and set out to prove to themselves that they didn't so they could carry on doing what was making them miserable. I suppose denial is a lot more subtle than we might expect eh.

Thing is, once I'd acknowledged that drinking was off the table, I seemed to want / need it more than I'd noticed before. Whether that was due to my addiction kicking back at the decision, or just that I'd never really followed through before but just given in when things got uncomfortable. But knowing that there was no reprieve in a few days time seemed so scary. I felt bereft! People talk about mourning the loss of alcohol like they might do a friend, and I relate to that 100%. But I also know that alcohol was no friend, but a wolf in sheeps clothing for me. I also know that it never dies. It just lays in wait for moments of weakness, so my work (in recovery) is to ensure that I find ways of not getting weakened where possible, and have strategies in place for when inevitably I will find myself weakened. Also, just learning what those weaknesses really are. It's been a real voyage of self-discovery.

Anyway - I'm waffling a bit. Apologies for that.

Glad you found us. I hope you stick around, keep reading and posting, and stay sober one day at a time.

Keep an eye out for the most common triggers. You can remember them using the anacronym HALTS... Hungry. Angry. Lonely. Tired /Thirsty. Sick. ... deal with these as soon as you spot them, and plan ahead to avoid them where possible.

It's easy to think that the support out there in recovery groups is just for the lower-bottom alcoholics (people who lost everything or ended up hospitalised or whatever) but this is not the case. The thing in recovery is that it's not so much about alcohol itself as much as learning to live sober, and developing new and better ways of dealing with life. I narrowly escaped losing my relationship, job, etc (I did lose my home though, something that has very negatively affected me and my partner finanacially - but we didn't end up homeless, so I can see I was lucky really). Nevertheless - I did lose my integrity to alcohol, and found myself spiritually in a very sorry and hopeless place. I really did not like being me any more, but there was no escape from who I'd become. Or so I thought while I was still drinking. Sobriety has been amazing, but only while I have worked on my recovery. Just removing alcohol was not enough. I needed to learn and grow, but that has been a joy for the most part.

I remember feeling that my life had come to an end when I 'lost' alcohol. But it really hadn't. It wasn't an end of anything worth having, but a wonderful new beginning. Grab this with both hands and hold it tight, even if it feels a bit prickly at first. Your sobriety may turn out to be the most precious thing you posess.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

BB
Old 10-24-2017, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Victor, also from my side, a warm welcome.

I like what BB says about HALTS but in my case there is something missing: exited? (sorry, couldn't find better word). This is for me an important trigger as well. I started to drink because I was happy, exited about something or just exited coming together with certain people.

I have been off and on for over 30 years, sometimes 7 months sober and still, fallen back in the same bad habit. For me, the important thing is to stay away from places were alcohol is served but in my case this turns out to be a problem since my wife is the owner of a restaurant ...

Anyhow, I am sober again since 2 days now and will try to follow the AA program as much as I can, read the big book and meditate. This will hopefully helps me to stay sober.

I wish you lots of success in your search for the path to stay sober
Old 10-24-2017, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Victor

My story fits with yours about 80%. I mean I could have written 80% of your exact words about myself. You are never alone here. Welcome!
Old 10-24-2017, 02:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Victor - I think you're making a great decision

D
Old 10-24-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Hi Victor. Welcome to the community. It's definitly made a massive difference to my own sobriety and recovery to have the support, experience, strength and hope that I find on these boards. Well, this plus AA.

Getting through those early days is tough. Funny, because I too had done some temporary abstainance in order to proove to myself that I didn't have a problem. It never occurred to me that a normal person would just think, 'Hmmm. I've been drinking more than I'd like lately', and stop. They wouldn't tie themselves in knots about whether they did or didn't have a problem and set out to prove to themselves that they didn't so they could carry on doing what was making them miserable. I suppose denial is a lot more subtle than we might expect eh.

Thing is, once I'd acknowledged that drinking was off the table, I seemed to want / need it more than I'd noticed before. Whether that was due to my addiction kicking back at the decision, or just that I'd never really followed through before but just given in when things got uncomfortable. But knowing that there was no reprieve in a few days time seemed so scary. I felt bereft! People talk about mourning the loss of alcohol like they might do a friend, and I relate to that 100%. But I also know that alcohol was no friend, but a wolf in sheeps clothing for me. I also know that it never dies. It just lays in wait for moments of weakness, so my work (in recovery) is to ensure that I find ways of not getting weakened where possible, and have strategies in place for when inevitably I will find myself weakened. Also, just learning what those weaknesses really are. It's been a real voyage of self-discovery.

Anyway - I'm waffling a bit. Apologies for that.

Glad you found us. I hope you stick around, keep reading and posting, and stay sober one day at a time.

Keep an eye out for the most common triggers. You can remember them using the anacronym HALTS... Hungry. Angry. Lonely. Tired /Thirsty. Sick. ... deal with these as soon as you spot them, and plan ahead to avoid them where possible.

It's easy to think that the support out there in recovery groups is just for the lower-bottom alcoholics (people who lost everything or ended up hospitalised or whatever) but this is not the case. The thing in recovery is that it's not so much about alcohol itself as much as learning to live sober, and developing new and better ways of dealing with life. I narrowly escaped losing my relationship, job, etc (I did lose my home though, something that has very negatively affected me and my partner finanacially - but we didn't end up homeless, so I can see I was lucky really). Nevertheless - I did lose my integrity to alcohol, and found myself spiritually in a very sorry and hopeless place. I really did not like being me any more, but there was no escape from who I'd become. Or so I thought while I was still drinking. Sobriety has been amazing, but only while I have worked on my recovery. Just removing alcohol was not enough. I needed to learn and grow, but that has been a joy for the most part.

I remember feeling that my life had come to an end when I 'lost' alcohol. But it really hadn't. It wasn't an end of anything worth having, but a wonderful new beginning. Grab this with both hands and hold it tight, even if it feels a bit prickly at first. Your sobriety may turn out to be the most precious thing you posess.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

BB
This! Thankyou.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good decision! Just take it a day at a time and don't pick up that first drink.

It's the engine, not the caboose that'll kill ya if you sit on the tracks.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Muffin2 View Post
Hi Victor, also from my side, a warm welcome.

I like what BB says about HALTS but in my case there is something missing: exited? (sorry, couldn't find better word). This is for me an important trigger as well. I started to drink because I was happy, exited about something or just exited coming together with certain people.

I have been off and on for over 30 years, sometimes 7 months sober and still, fallen back in the same bad habit. For me, the important thing is to stay away from places were alcohol is served but in my case this turns out to be a problem since my wife is the owner of a restaurant ...

Anyhow, I am sober again since 2 days now and will try to follow the AA program as much as I can, read the big book and meditate. This will hopefully helps me to stay sober.

I wish you lots of success in your search for the path to stay sober
Welcome Victor. This is a truly a valuable site.
Muffin the E is me. I remember when I didn't have a drink for 2 weeks!! A lady at Uni told me it was because I drink to be happy (At the time I agreed as my Dad was terminally ill)
What a crock! Any excuse is a good one. So I have found.

Well done on day 3, you should be proud, celebrate and keep going.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Victor! Good decision.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're ready to really make a change. This board is extremely helpful. In fact when I was an active drinker, I realized that every time I got on here for an hour or so as soon as I got up, I didn't drink that day. Another thing that got rid of urges was to watch videos online of drunk driving accidents. That made me repelled by alcohol, at least for a while.
When first starting out, it's best not to do it half-way. Make sobriety your most important commitment of the day, every day.
Best of luck
Old 10-24-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Victor
Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Victor!
Old 10-25-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks BB & thanks for the reminder that "It just lays in wait for moments of weakness". Thanks to Muffin2 for the advice and please accept my encouragement by return. Inchworm, Decchemist, Biminiblue, Dee74, Tursiops999, Culture, Red3215 & WhenDiscovery, thank you all for reaching out with warmth, encouragement and even just a simple "hi there"
Make no mistake, this all helps.
Victor
Old 10-25-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile 2nd Post, 2nd action

Ok, so this is my 2nd day on this site, my 2nd post and my 4th day sober.
I had the idea that I might try to share my journey and experience to sobriety in the hope that it might be cathartic for me and ideally of some assistance to some other newcomers or re-starters.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to think this and so I need to ask if by posting a new update most days, would I be using this site in the wrong way?
So just for now, here goes......
Yesterday, after signing up to this site, I told my wife that I was going sober.
In the past when I have resolved to do something, I would often announce my intention to my friends and family as an extra strand of commitment binding me to my goals.
Usually it has helped.
My wife was calm & supportive, she'd already noticed I hadnt drank since Saturday.
I slow-cooked some really wholesome food for my family and worked hard to keep busy.
On a short car journey with my 17Yr old daughter, I told her I was doing this. I explained that my goal today was to shun alcohol today and I expect it will be the same tomorrow.....
I added that I'd really like to be sober for the rest of October which would get me to day 10.
When she reminded me that we have a family party to attend this weekend and that I should give myself a break, kick back & have a few beers...I realised how pervasive alcohol consumption is in our culture here in Britain. We spoke about that briefly.
The idea of being able to drink like any normal person was very appealing to me. What my lovely daughter doesn't know and what I have only recently realised is that I dont drink like a normal person. My relationship with alcohol isnt normal.
When I drink, I dont consume it in normal quantities and I need to quit.
I considered making my excuses not to go to the party.
I've thought maybe I'll go but I can leave early if I wish (Not having to rely on late night Taxi's is going to be both liberating and money-saving!).
Either way, I wont be drinking.
As BB told me yesterday, its always lurking, waiting for a moment of weakness, I have to be aware of that & ever vigilant.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again to everyone who's reached out,
V.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site SV😀. That’s a good idea keeping a journal of some sort. I’ve really found taking part in this community has helped me stay sober the last 50 days. You can do this!
Old 10-25-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done Victor.

Is there some 'job' you could volunteer for at the party. On e thing I noticed when I was first sober is that I tended to feel 'out of the loop' and kind of disconnect. Having a job to do - etertaining the kids, taking photos, serving up food, or whatever all helps up find new and differnt ways of connecting.

It is also worth having an exit strategy for this party - or a planned break from the proceedings. Parties sober are flippin exhausting!! Maybe our imaginary friend needs a lift to the airport or something?

BB
Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Victor. Congratulations on Day 3. Im on Day 5. I know it seems like it isnt much but it is a very big deal. One more day clear headed. You got this.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 5 3rd posting...

Right...so im embarking on day 5 of sobriety and day 3 on SR
I'm finding my way around the site a little better now, getting to recognise some of the regulars and reading a lot of helpful stuff.

Similar to when I quit smoking a number of years ago, theres a couple of strong messages already making themselves clear...

Dont keep any alcohol nearby for any reason (if you can help it). The adversary here is sneaky & clever and it will sideswipe you when you least expect it urging you into a snap-reaction to drink.
Its so important not to have that drink within reach when this happens.

The other thing I'm hearing is that forgetfullness is your enemy.
You got to the point of deciding to become sober for lots of powerful reasons. In my first post I listed a bunch of problems alcohol is causing me (and thats just a few of them). Its going to be very helpful for me to revisit this list in the coiming days and weeks as the AV starts to tell me that things werent that bad back then...

I've decided to try another tactic which I hope may prove helpful.
Starting yesterday I'm photographing my face each morning. (Dont worry, I wont be publishing them here or anywhere else) It will serve as a photo-diary to show me how I'm progressing and to remind me where I've been .

Thanks to everyone who's advised, commented or just looked.....

I'll keep you posted.

Victor
Old 10-26-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello Victor,
Your story is very similar to mine.
It's a great idea to keep a list. I keep mine on this iPad and read it every day. Why would we go back to that?
Five days was big for me. Enough to make me not want to restart the counter.
Good luck and well done.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Victor,
Welcome to the site. A comment that BerryBean made about AA and low bottom drunks reminded me of my own arrival in AA. We have this thing called anonymity which is a great leveller in every respect. Things like community status, employment and social standing are left outside the meeting. Inside we are all alcoholics, some recovered, some recovering, and some deciding what they want to do.

When I came in the doors, brought in by a member who had explained it all for me in advance, I was about as low bottom as you could get. All skin and bone and a head full of scrambled eggs. I had the strangest of ideas about the world, in fact it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say I was barking mad.

I was met by some very kind a loving people. Mostly a lot older than me, they kind of took me in. I was invited to their homes, some of which were in the very best part of town, beautiful houses that I never thought I would be allowed in.

They never told me at the time, it wasn't important, but the folks that welcomed me included the chairman of the board of our country's largest corporation, a famous architect who designed some of our major public buildings, two doctors, a lawyer, and one or two company managers and business people. This was not my usual company. Amazing people who saved my life.

You will hear on this site quite often that AA isn't for everybody with an alcohol problem, and that is true. It has a spiritual program of recovery for people like me whose only hope of recovery was what we call a spiritual experience bringing about a change of personality sufficient to overcome alcholism. High bottom, functioning, or end stage doesn't figure in this.

The AA big book makes a clear statement: " whether or not you can recover on a non-spiritual basis will depend upon the extent to which you have already lost the power to choose whether you will drink or not" It will be worth keeping that statement in the back of your mind.

All the best