Notices

Tremors? Or...?

Old 10-23-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tremors? Or...?

Hello once again SR community,

Have another question.. Been a binge drinker for the past couple years, this past one ended Saturday (Day 2). Determined to quit this time. I have the insomnia and Hypnic Jerks I had a few weeks back. Doc put me on Librium at the ER but I didn't finished and stopped taking them on Day 4 when I felt completely normal..

Fast forward to this episode, I started to take Librium again yesterday to ease any symptoms I may get, hasn't done anything for the insomnia yet (argh) but what's new is I internally I feel shaky/jittery but don't show it externally. I can hold my arms flat/straight ahead and it's steady as a rock. But in certain area of my body feels as though I have internal tremors. Anyone ever experienced this? The vids I've seen of people experiencing tremors are visibly shaking where I'm not. Did I just do a number on my central nervous system and it's recovering? I only feel anxiety when I try to sleep due to the nature of the sleep starts/hypnic jerks.

Thanks for your time!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I also went through a phase along the way where I experienced that sense of internal tightness/ jittery feeling before I began to have outwardly noticeable shakes, but the shakes definitely came along, and eventually I was shaking all the time when I wasn't actually drunk.

You see, it's not a stable state. It's progressive. Each time you go through a detox cycle, you increase the odds that you'll have worse withdrawal symptoms the next time -- sometimes dramatically and unpredictably so. Attached is a handy chart showing this effect, which is called "kindling."

Really glad you're determined to quit this time. Hope you'll make use of SR as a resource in your recovery toolbox. You can do it!

Old 10-23-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You might want to check with your doctor just to make sure everythings fine. John
Old 10-24-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
totfit

Oh..............I recall the tremors inside and just wondering if others could see them. Others did not see them, but my insides were shaking. I am so thankful I don't have to experience that any longer. The only thing that comes close as a reminder is if I have not eaten for some time and get a bit shaky, but this pales in comparison. I really never want to feel that way again and won't if I don't pick up another drink. This does get better.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've also felt that way when quitting. It's a very strange feeling and I wondered if others noticed. I asked my buddy one day to look at my hands(although I felt it almost all through my body) and he said he couldn't tell that I was 'shaky'. He noticed I was acting differently though. Once I explained what was going on he said he's felt that way after a heavy night or two of drinking too.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to feel like a jack hammer was going off in my stomach. My hands never shook though. I would also get all twitchy when I was trying to sleep and would end up jerking myself awake. Drink things with electrolytes in them like Gatorade or Vitamin water and don't drink anymore alcohol, not matter what your Alcoholic Voice tries to tell you.