Planning the first t-total Christmas.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Planning the first t-total Christmas.

Hi

We're on day 11 of no alcohol and last night we started to think about Christmas. We decied to go for a walk Christmas morning with the dogs and my hubby asked if we could get LOADS of eaty treats in, pull the sofa bed out and watch movies for the rest of the day!

I so chuffed he never even mentioned giving ourselves a day off or 'just one bottle of bubbly'. I'm just so bloody chuffed!!!

Any other christmas tips out there?
Old 10-27-2004, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
papagalo

what does "chuffed" mean? i'm new here.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was going to ask the same thing? what is chuffed?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry - Northern English slang!! It means 'pleased' but with more - errrrrr... well, very pleased - sort of with brass knobs on!! I'm not sure there's a direct translation.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Gotcha!!! Well, then that's a good thing!!!! haha! I wasn't sure if it was good or bad! I am so happy for you then! My holidays have always been a wreck for the last 3 years probably...I LOVE the holidays and go "brass knobs on " for them! So, we always have people over and lots of decorating, food - and ofcourse, for him that means drink, drink, and drink!!! So, usually I end up late by myself, putting together the kids Xmas presents, and listening to him b**** about how I bought them too much, etc.... Thanksgiving...same thing. Last year, Halloween was a complete blow out, with him calling me a b****, wh***, and even the "C" word in front of our friends and family...I had to walk my kids trick or treating, with tears streaming down my eyes, trying to pull myself together. I kicked him out of the house that night...and I realized that I would NEVER, NEVER let anyone ruin a holiday for me and my kids again... over my dead body anyway. We worked it out, and he's back, and he's stopped drinking and wont drink again until after Halloween (kind of a "am I an acoholic?" test for him, I guess) - so, I've decorated to the nines and can't wait! But, I swear - he can pass out drunk, get hit by a car in front of my house, or blow up on fire, and I will walk right by and continue with my trick or treating and all the Halloween fun this year!!!! So, again - good for you and I hope you have the best Xmas ever!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Peaches - I know what you mean. My husband is profoundly gentle - like some folk are profoundly deaf, he was gentle drunk too. BUT throughout my childhood and early adulthood where holidays have been spent with my family, constant rows have made me dread them. I've never been a heavy drinker 3 tins and I'm asleep, but Christmas has always been the one day I get intentionally plastered (drunk - in case plastered is slang too ). Just a way of not getting pulled into more and more rows.

It's our first Christmas together and I'm really nervous about it, not because of him but because it's Christmas and I won't be able to just sleep through it. I really want a good christmas but I don't believe in them.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Equus

I'm bloody chuffed for you as well.

I recently stopped drinking after years of alcohol abuse and started going to AA meetings. Our programme leads us to take one day at a time, so I'm not really thinking too far ahead.

Having said that, Christmas is organised. My g/f and I are going to join my family in Scotland. It will be my first sober Christmas since I don't know when. Boy am I looking forward to it.

Meantime, I will keep going to AA and taking it all one day at a time.

Enjoy yourselves.

Rich
Old 10-27-2004, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ha ha, equus, you foxed our american friends there!

I'm from Yorkshire originally and I have to re-write some of my posts here when I realise that they'll make no sense to non-brits. or even non-tykes.

well chuffed for you about your christmas plans, though.

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 10-27-2004, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh Minnie and Equus, I love learning new expressions!! Keep using them! It's my way of being worldly until my kids are old enough and I can travel some more
Old 10-27-2004, 08:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

*Disclaimer:

Chuffed should never be confused with 'chuffing' or 'chuffer' - the last two have ENTIRELY different meanings.....
Old 10-27-2004, 08:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

peaches,

how about "taffled"? It means tangled up. As in "i went fishing and got the lines all taffled up".

Believe me, you won't hear that one used very often.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good to know!! haha! I have an Irish friend and he taught me "langer"...he said be careful how I use that one too!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

chuffing hell, equus, don't confuse them!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm from Texas - we talk really slow (so they tell me from up North) and I had a phone call the other day with my Irish friends, and I swear I could barely keep up! haha! Next time I'll say "would you please just chuffing slow down!"...hehe!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Peaches

I lived in Dublin when I was younger (12-16 yo) and I know what you mean!! I picked up the accent really quickly and my relatives back home could never understand me.

You could also try saying "for fecks sake, slow down a bit". Feck is more acceptable then the other f-word, something my parents failed to realise at first. Blimey, did I get told off!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

alright folks - i am all taffled up here with the different dialect lingo!

great and lighthearted thread - wonderful to hear some positives!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

cwohio - extra marks for putting taffled in a sentence!!

For feck's sake, don't we need a laugh every now and again?

right, I'm off for some nosh. Speak to you later.

Love
M
xx
Old 10-27-2004, 09:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Gerr'on wi ya! Ya trine na say ya can't mek no sense outta that?

My husband's family are Gordie stonecutters who moved to Cumbria - he's got a mix of two of the strongest northen accents you can find. He can write perfect English, and reads mythology in Latin but no bogger can understand a word he says!!

Once he asked me if I wanted to learn to play cribbage - I thought he said did I want to learn to bake cabbage!!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

LOL!! Too funny! I love the accents though - they are so great!!! My friend from Ireland goes out here and says all the girls go crazy over his accent! Then he says when he goes back to Ireland, he can't figure out why the girls aren't all over him, then he remembers - they ALL talk like him...haha!! Says he's "got no game" in Ireland!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

equus - the cabbage story is funny - i laughed out loud at my desk!

thanks all for the cheery spot in a dreary day here in ohio,