Notices

First 24 hours

Old 10-21-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First 24 hours

I did it! I'm going to an aa meeting tomorrow and told a dear friend and my mom I have a problem with alcohol. I'm scared to tell my Dad as he's a recreational pot smoker and I know that will come up in aa. It doesn't bother me, but I'm scared he'll think I'm judging him or be disappointed in me. I'm crying just thinking about it because he doesn't have an issue with alcohol. I wish I was normal and didn't have these binges where I lose control. I'm having a really hard night.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mr

Good for you ascared.
The first few nights are bound to be hard.
It took me a few months but then I was no longer scared. You have come to a great place here, SR.
This place can save lives.
Keep posting.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I was scared when I first quit and went to AA, too.
That's great you admitted you have a problem with alcohol.
You're on the right track. Coming here and going to AA.
You'll find a lot of support here, as I'm sure you will in AA.
I'm sorry you're having a bad night, but just think about how much better your life will be without alcohol.

Wishing you the best.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Ascared! You have made a fantastic decision for your physical, and mental health. It seems a little overwhelming in the beginning, but sobriety is so worth it.

Try not to worry about what others will say or think, just know that this is something amazing you are doing for you.

Two great threads to join are:

The October of 2017 class, you will find the support of others who have committed or recommitted to sobriety this month.

The 24 hour threa. It is a great place to check in and make the commitment to remain sober for the next 24 hours. You will get to know an amazing group of people. I still check in there each day, usually a few times.

You will find lots of support on here, I'm looking forward to getting to know you, and following your journey.

❤️Delilah
Old 10-21-2017, 09:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Welcome Ascared - you are doing the right thing by joining SR - it is an awesone resource and the people here are wonderful! I know its difficult to imagine now, but it will get a little better every day, and before you know it you will have weeks, months and even years of sobriety and it will be so precious to you that you will never want to go back, not even for one drink. Good luck and keep checking in.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I just told my Dad. It was very hard, but I want to earn my parents trust again. I also want to look on the mirror and be proud. I believe today was the first day of a beautiful new life. Sweet Dreams everyone!
Old 10-22-2017, 12:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ascared - regardless of how people in your life might react you will always find support here

Welcome
D
Old 10-22-2017, 02:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

YOU ARE BRAVE and honest. Meetings are not scary- be-c the people there (I know) will have stories that would make your toes curl. Give it a go. You do not have to share- you can just sit and listen. If asked to share- just say you will share by listening. Keep posting.