Notices

Day 1

Old 10-21-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

For the last 18 years (I'm 33), alcohol has always been a big part of my life. Right from the beginning I always drank more than most and have been a binge drinker. I wouldn't say I'm alcohol dependent, but I definately have an alcohol problem. For whatever reason, once I've had 3, I have to have 10. I just put that down to "having a good time".

I've had my fair share of scrapes, but nothing that would change my life until recently. When I binge drink and "blackout", I've started getting verbally abusive towards my wife. I don't remember any of what I say, but the things she says I've said to her have horrified me.

She has threatened to leave me and take our 3 month old son. I grew up with an abusive and alcoholic mother and I don't want my son to go through what I went through.

I'm making a decision to cut alcohol out of my life so I can be the best husband and father I can be.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Dave. You’ll find a lot of useful support here if you need it. Good luck🙂
Old 10-21-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave

Great decision. There are loads of people here that have been in the same position as you and have made the change you want to now make. We're here to help.

All the best

dec
Old 10-21-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome to SR. You have come to the right place for understanding and support. The time is now to quit drinking and to save your life. Alcoholism is progressive and only gets worse. You are young. You have a future that deserves to be treasured. Don't let alcohol ruin you and the lives of those around you. It will happen if you continue to drink. Glad you are taking the first step. Now is the time to make a recovery plan.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the messages. A recovery plan is a very good idea. I think the biggest problem for me will be our social life. Every event with either family or friends involves meeting at 1 pub or another. My wife enjoys a drink, but unlike me she can control it and it doesn't send her crazy from time to time.

Any suggestions for dealing with these social situations?
Old 10-21-2017, 04:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

You need to have a serious talk with your wife about how important it is for you to stop drinking. She needs to understand how alcohol effects you and that your system is not like other social drinkers. You chemically cannot have alcohol in your body. Maybe she could attend an Al-Anon meeting to understand alcoholism and it's effects. You need her support especially early on.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome

You amongst a lot of good people. Welcome to the journey, 1 day at a time!
Old 10-21-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post
Thanks for the messages. A recovery plan is a very good idea. I think the biggest problem for me will be our social life. Every event with either family or friends involves meeting at 1 pub or another. My wife enjoys a drink, but unlike me she can control it and it doesn't send her crazy from time to time.

Any suggestions for dealing with these social situations?
Do you feel you can share the fact that you want to give up drinking alcohol with family and friends, Dave, or is that a bit too difficult at the moment? NB. No judgement here just a question.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by decchemist View Post
Do you feel you can share the fact that you want to give up drinking alcohol with family and friends, Dave, or is that a bit too difficult at the moment? NB. No judgement here just a question.
No problem 😊. Yes I think I could. I wouldn't tell them it's because I can't control it and get abusive, but I could say I want to loose some weight/get healthy/train for a run. Something like that.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dave. You have made a good decision.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dave84 View Post
No problem 😊. Yes I think I could. I wouldn't tell them it's because I can't control it and get abusive, but I could say I want to loose some weight/get healthy/train for a run. Something like that.
That's a good idea and a believable 'excuse'.

There are many people on SR who will tell you that you should not put yourself in any social situation where you may not be able to resist drinking, especially in early days of sobriety. They will tell you it is too risky to take the chance. However, you have to weigh up that risk for yourself, in my opinion, then be responsible for the outcome (hopefully a good outcome).
Old 10-21-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Fight for for sobriety like you would fight for your life...in essence you really are. Stay strong! Stay with us.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dave!!
Old 10-21-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like a terrific decision to make Dave - welcome aboard

D
Old 10-23-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA Member

how are you today Dave84 ?

its your job to help yourself by posting to let the group know how youre doing

its our job to help ourselves by being of service to the newcomers

Old 10-24-2017, 12:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dave! How are things going so far?
Old 10-24-2017, 02:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So far so good thanks. Onto the 4th day and survived 3 nights which involved 1 bbq, 1 night at home and 1 evening meal out. Filled the fridge with diet coke to replace the habit of in from work, get changed, open beer. Swapped the beer for diet coke.

I did get a couple of questions last night from people wondering why I didn't have a pint and just said I wanted to loose a bit of weight. The responses were fairly positive!

Biggest change I've felt so far has been how much more alert I am, particularly first thing in the morning. Before I'd need at least 3 cups and now 1 cup and I'm good to go.

Long may it continue 👍