Notices

Borderline Personality

Old 10-18-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Borderline Personality

Has anyone here dealt with or maybe you are someone suffering from BPD?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Technically, yes. I was dx with BPD in 2015- which was before I quit drinking. And, indeed, I did exhibit most of the symptoms necessary for a dx.

Over the years of drinking alcoholically, my impulsivity was through the roof, my disregard for healthy behave in all ways (sexual, financial, pretty much everything) and so on were off the charts.

I went on lamictal.

Turns out, when I quit drinking and now have kept going in my sobriety....I don't do any of those things anymore. I am still a little impulsive at times, but it's usually about buying a cute clutch or a great idea for a random date, than anything the least bit dangerous.

I still take the lamictal as part of a total drug regimen that supports my recovery, but it's a "maintenance drug" now.

Best to you.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Technically, yes. I was dx with BPD in 2015- which was before I quit drinking. And, indeed, I did exhibit most of the symptoms necessary for a dx.

Over the years of drinking alcoholically, my impulsivity was through the roof, my disregard for healthy behave in all ways (sexual, financial, pretty much everything) and so on were off the charts.

I went on lamictal.

Turns out, when I quit drinking and now have kept going in my sobriety....I don't do any of those things anymore. I am still a little impulsive at times, but it's usually about buying a cute clutch or a great idea for a random date, than anything the least bit dangerous.

I still take the lamictal as part of a total drug regimen that supports my recovery, but it's a "maintenance drug" now.

Best to you.
Thank you for sharing. I don't know much about it but I recently had an experience that leaves me thinking I may have been dealing with an undiagnosed BPD. My wife and I are newly married and have only been married for 1.5 years (we dated 2 years before getting married). We were both head over heels in love. We had little to no problems/fights except when my wife would drink too much...she became very agitated and mean. She also battled depression (she was on medication) due to her bulimia. It was getting worse and I noticed her drinking became heavier and more frequent as this was going on as well. Her therapist suggested a 12 step program for the eating disorder (she wouldn't admit to having a drinking problem). I was supportive of this. She started the program and was almost immediately approached by a woman who became her sponsor. Things got weird within a couple weeks...3 hours on the phone, 4 hours together at night for "meetings". Then one morning, our of the blue, after a phone call with her sponsor she tells me, with zero emotion or empathy or even a single care, that she doesn't love me, she never did and she was ending our marriage. She walked out and hasn't spoken to me since (that was 3 weeks ago). I have since been served divorce papers and she listed our house on the market. She is sending me emails like she didn't just emotionally destroy someone, asking for gift cards she misplaced and talking about the cleaning lady. My question is, is this characteristic of someone with this disorder? My wife was in love me on a Tuesday night and Wednesday morning she claims she never loved me and didn't even shed a tear when saying it. It was rehearsed and robotic. So confusing. It's like she's not in there anymore, not even the same person. I know the toxic sponsor was only hurting, not helping, but I find it hard to believe without a disconnect somewhere in the brain there's no way my wife would have ever left or said those things. Any advice or info you could share would be great. Also, I am not putting everyone who is struggling in a box and there is absolutely no judgement, I'm simply worried for my wife and want to steer her in the right direction for help...because her throwing up and drinking are the least of my worries right now.