New and Not Sure

Old 10-17-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and Not Sure

Hi,

I've never blogged about anything before but I have to try something. My 27 year old son is an addict. He has used heroin, crystal meth, etc. He has 2 kids and they are in the middle of this. As far as I know he hasn't used anything in front of them but he has been high around them. Right now his two kids and his girlfriend are living with my dad. But they fight and argue all the time. My dad can't take it any more and it isn't good for the kids. In fight his daughter missed school today because they woke her up fighting.

He is on parole and they do drug test him. His dad wants to try talking to him again. Which doesn't help! I know jail isn't the best place for him but the kids and my dad can't live like this. I want to tell him he has 24 hours to go to an inpatient rehab and stay or I call his parole officer and have the parole revoked. Not sure how well that would work because I know if he doesn't want help it won't work. I'm trying to figure something out because I know I can't fix it.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree that if he doesn't want help it won't work.

However...

I think it takes a clean and sober mind to get to that point. When they are under the influence, they're not worried about the fact that their lives are in the toilet. And when they're in withdrawal the only thing they can think about is getting their next fix.

Sometimes jail/prison can be the best solution. I see nothing wrong with what you're proposing. It sounds like a very unhealthy situation, and very dangerous for the children.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My opinion, it’s always better they are on a cot in a cage then out obtaining more poison to put into their bodies. Delaying calling his parole officer, that he in fact using drugs again, doesn’t do him, his kids or your father any good.

Why do you feel the need to “threaten” him with a choice? At this point I would think that you already know the outcome of that and it is just delaying the reality you don’t want to face – him in jail.

Tuff love!!!!

Seeing his addiction has been going on a while, what kind of support have you received for you – the loved ones of the addict?