Notices

Worried

Old 10-15-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried

I live with my boyfriend for 3 months now and have been by his side. I have so much care and love for him. He drank before heavy, had a seizure which was his 1st one, he stopped when he was released from the hospital but just recently i found him drinking again.. I asked him why he just replied, "dont I deserve one?" But on top of it he takes medicine which I am aware due to his PTSD and trauma. I am worried and I always look out for him but I'm worried he is just going to kill himself.. Anyone out there, can I get some advice..
Old 10-16-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Worries. I'm sorry for what you're dealing with but I'm glad you found us here. It's a tough situation. Was the seizure from drinking? You may have a long and miserable road ahead of you if he doesn't want to stop. It's nearly impossible to force someone to quit that doesn't want to do it for themselves. You can support him and try to convince him but ultimately he'll do what he wants. You must decide what that means for you and your relationship.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Worries

I understand your concern, but it's very hard to get someone to stop drinking if they don't want to.

The are organisations like Al Alon that provide support and understanding to the loved ones of alcoholics - have you ever considered going to a meeting maybe?

D
Old 10-16-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the situation with your boyfriend. Of course, you want to help him, but he will need to decide for himself that he needs help. It's important for you to take care of yourself.