Notices

Crushing weight of anxiety...

Old 10-15-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crushing weight of anxiety...

I've had a tough weekend. I've had waves of anxiety wash over me. I have been able to just keep my head out of the water but it's getting close to taking me under and then I'll drown. I go about my life and no one knows that I am trying to abait overwhelming feelings of dread and despair. Anyway...I just needed to share 💜
Old 10-15-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

It is good to share your feelings. Anxiety and worry are tough to battle because most of it is not real. Push thru it and try to relax. I drink calming teas and take valerian. Exercise helps me focus on other things more tangible.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate Nova,
My day started off fairly well then went into a tail spin of anxiety, feelings of loneliness and morbid reflection. My anxiety gets so bad I feel like I'm drowning and have no way out. What helped me today was calling my sponsor and discussing it with him. Fear, I'm plagued by it but it's all my own doing, I make it up most of it in my head and feed off of it. Being able to share what I'm going through really helps, I can also suggest exercise although that can be tough when one's feeling down. Sometimes we have to force ourselves to reach out or go and do some self care.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know how awful those feelings of dread and impending doom feel . I can tell you it does get easier a little bit at a time . Everyone's situation is different but its better to try and avoid stressful situations as much as possible , don't watch the news or upsetting movies or documentaries . Try and keep things simple and be kind to your self . Practising positive self talk can help too . I know it,s easier said than done and improvement is not always straight forward . I would make some progress then have a bad few days then begin to pick up again .
At 76 days sober I am seeing longer good spells with shorter anxious spells and dealing with the setbacks much easier .
Its bewildering to us when these feelings sweep over us but if we just let it happen and watch it you will notice it subsiding . Try not to fight against it ,all that doe sis adds more Adrenalin , try not to fear the sensations , they will pass .
I hope you find peace as the days and weeks progress and you will as long as you don't drink .
Good luck
Old 10-16-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

You always have us Nova x
Old 10-16-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind and supportive comments...I truly appreciate them 💜 I am feeling better today.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I just had the worst anxiety attack in public. Now I am home and feel like hiding from the world. I was doing well because I was avoiding stressful, irritating people and places. This was unavoidable and I was not prepared as much as I thought I was. I felt crazy. Like I was coming unglued. I tried so hard to keep it together but, I wasn't myself. I felt lost inside my body. It was scary and draining.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
I just had the worst anxiety attack in public. Now I am home and feel like hiding from the world. I was doing well because I was avoiding stressful, irritating people and places. This was unavoidable and I was not prepared as much as I thought I was. I felt crazy. Like I was coming unglued. I tried so hard to keep it together but, I wasn't myself. I felt lost inside my body. It was scary and draining.
I feel for you ChloeRose63...make sure you take care of yourself and try to rest 💜
Old 10-16-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

, nova!
Old 10-16-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you both feel a little better today Nova and Chloe

D
Old 10-16-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel it too. You are not alone. I hope knowing that helps.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope you are better Chloe , Nova .
These episodes can come right out of the blue and are upsetting and draining as you say . Try and not fight against it hard as it is . I know how it feels ive had more than my share . They can knock you for six for a few hours but try not to dwell on it and accept that you will have fewer episodes further apart .
It really is important not to sit in fear of another one happening .
Look on Amazon for a book "pass through panic " Claire weekes .
Old 10-17-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
I hope you are better Chloe , Nova .
These episodes can come right out of the blue and are upsetting and draining as you say . Try and not fight against it hard as it is . I know how it feels ive had more than my share . They can knock you for six for a few hours but try not to dwell on it and accept that you will have fewer episodes further apart .
It really is important not to sit in fear of another one happening .
Look on Amazon for a book "pass through panic " Claire weekes .
Thanks Thomas...I will have a look at that book 💜
Old 10-18-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As I began my daily meditation/prayer session this morning, I reflected on how I was feeling about my anxiety and fear and negative self-thought. In the past, either when I was drinking, or in the 3-4 months after quitting, I could feel these emotions very keenly every day, especially in the morning or after something bad had happened to upset me. They would get inside my head and wash over my brain like lighter fluid, so powerful and unstoppable. This morning, however, I noticed that I could see these thoughts as if they were little shadows in the corner of the room: I could hear them and I pretty much agreed with them, but they did not get inside my head. I just noted their presence and told myself it was going to be ok because I'm doing the right things and good things happen to good people. I think if we stick to a good routine and stay focused on strengthening the will, our defenses against the negativity and anxiety will strengthen.