Notices

A big challenge

Old 10-14-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A big challenge

In probably the biggest and potentially life altering challenge since quitting drinking, I have decided to study and take a professional exam to further my career. This is a multi part exam that will take about a year to study for and pass from start to finish. This will challenge my motivation, resolve, and desire to stay sober. There will be no reward with a drink after reaching goal x no big night out on the town getting drunk no drinking to blow off steam...

This is going to test all that I have... But I think I am ready and think that I now have the focus I need in order to succeed. The time is right now, in fact it is perfect. Drinking will only set that back. It will only make me stupid and keep me from studying...

So I may need some support from time to time... This is the first big undertaking while being sober. I'm ready.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Has anyone achieved something huge after being sober for a while? Was drinking ever really a thought? Did you find it easier to achieve that you were not drinking? I'd love to hear experiences. I'm pretty nervous about this decision.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have any true experiences, at least not the kind to which you are seeking answers.

A lot will likely depend on how long you have been sober and how much recovery work you need to do. Many people, when they enter sobriety and recovery, have many corrections and adjustments to make in their lives - work on themselves and the underlying issues that led to their drinking; on their relationships that have likely suffered and been damaged; jobs that may have been negatively impacted; legal matters, etc. but most importantly the work on themselves. That and those alone can be huge tasks.

If you have already been through that process your new venture will be greatly enhanced by your recovery and sobriety. Focus should be sharper; analytical skills should be enhanced; drive and ambition should benefit.

If you have a passion for your new venture, things should go smoothly. Have a plan, though, if things become bumpy. Be sure to include rest, relaxation and pleasant activities in your schedule. Remember that the sober Jryan is the best Jryan. Keep your sober plan intact; someone here, I think, once said that if you aren't working on your sobriety and recovery, you are working on a relapse. Do something each day for your sobriety - meditation, mindfulness, face-to-face support, a hobby, a walk.

A relapse could equal derailment of your new venture.

Lean on us.

We are here for you.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, and it sounds like this may be true for you as well, the accomplishment of breaking the chains of alcohol proved that I can accomplish anything I want to accomplish. I never, in a thousand years, thought that I could live a happy life free of alcohol, but here I am! And why stop there? I can do anything I want. I'm presently working on an invention and business opportunity, while still trying to keep everything afloat in my current career. I haven't accomplished anything yet, but I have a fighting chance and I'm giving it the best go I can. I also ran a marathon last year which was a pretty cool accomplishment, but not nearly as much work at what your endeavor will require. Go for it! One life - make it count.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wishing you the best jryan

as far as exams go, they're stressful for everyone I think but I doubt many people would include drinking as a part of exam prep.

My advice is keep balanced. Set aside a few hours each day for study - and try and get some down time in there too.

All you can do is your best - I'm sure you'll do well

D
Old 10-16-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
Has anyone achieved something huge after being sober for a while? Was drinking ever really a thought? Did you find it easier to achieve that you were not drinking? I'd love to hear experiences. I'm pretty nervous about this decision.
Hey jryan.

This question really just struck me now that I think about it. I have taken many tests throughout my career and my business.

I'll give an example, when I took my state test for real estate I definitely was hitting it hard, but the funny thing was, the thought of drinking or not drinking never even crossed my mind because I was so used to it. To be quite honest, I was probably hungover at the state testing facility. Again, it was so common place I didnt even think about it. All it was for me was a reason to celebrate. Even on the way home after passing the tests, I was thinking about which kind of expensive beer to buy to celebrate.

In retrospect after reading your question, I wonder what it would have been like if I were sober through all this. Would it have been easier? Less anxiety? Im sure it would have been. I wish I could go back and see.

You're in a good place to be doing what you're doing sober.

Even though im only 13 days in, these are the types of things I think about. Also, I wonder how in the world I got through some of the things I did whether it be a test or any challenge in life. Very interesting.

Good luck and I say go for whatever it is your doing!

Brighten
Old 10-16-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You sound like you're ready to do this and to make it work. That's the main thing. Accept that it will be stressful at times, and be prepared to deal with those times in a healthy way. This sounds like a good opportunity for you.