Notices

Hangover Memories...

Old 10-14-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hangover Memories...

Almost a year sober...next month. Since this past January, I've been eating a mostly plant based diet, with chicken and fish on occasion, and almost never any red meat.

Well, fast forward to two weeks ago, when I was on a business trip and a nice expense account. Instead of drinking, I indulged in steak, and burgers, rich fish dishes with pasta, and desserts. I returned home with indigestion, but no real concern, and just kept at it: nachos, spices, all the ice cream...ugh.

So now I have a very messed up stomach and digestive track that I am nursing back to health with greek yogurt, white rice, and tea. I also stopped coffee for the time being to be safe. Very exciting. My point! I realized with this upset stomach, sluggish behavior, and headaches from caffeine withdrawal, I'm basically having a hangover.

I used to live with this every. single. day. And I would shrug it off, and just drink more beer/wine/tequila to make it go away. I did that for YEARS. Clearly my body just got used to living with the pain, so that I didn't really show concern. I have more concern right now for gas and heartburn. Crazy.

Just had to share with the one group that would understand. Sobriety is so much better.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

it really is tnek

D
Old 10-14-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Although indigestion issue can really suck, I'll bet it pales in comparison to real hangovers!
Old 10-14-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Boxer

Crazy how we slowly got conditioned to feeling like crap being the “norm” while actively drinking.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tnek,
Something completely different: What mountain is this in your avatar picture?
Old 10-14-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Boxer1 View Post
Crazy how we slowly got conditioned to feeling like crap being the “norm” while actively drinking.
I remember waking up every day feeling like death warmed over and hating myself. Never again!!
Old 10-14-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing, Tnek....I lived with making myself sick on a daily basis as well. Never occurred to me that a "food" hangover is possible....and I still eat a lot of crap! Lol

And CONGRATS on your upcoming ONE YEAR Sober-versary!
Old 10-15-2017, 03:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And to think of the compounding effect of a double hangover after a big steak dinner with martinis, wine, more wine, more steak, maybe some digestifs, dessert, more digestifs, then probably another bar for a nightcap afterward. Yep, no wonder...