Notices

My wife

Old 10-14-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My wife

Saturday is our sex morning. She said she smelled booze on my breath. She said she didn't care if I drank, she just didn't want it hidden. Is this a bad 34 year marriage?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not enough for any of us to make a determination like that, Bob.

All I can add is that people suspected I was drinking a long time after I quit. but I did a lot to create that mistrust by insisting I wasn't drinking when I was many times.

From your posts, though, clearly you're not happy with things at the moment, and she sounds pretty unhappy too - would either of you or you both consider some marriage counselling maybe?

D
Old 10-14-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I think that we are close to talking this through. When we are in that position, things get talked about. I am weak when it comes to confrontation. She is strong, but maybe not with me. This may be my confrontation that solves it. Not sure. After sex, things are different. I think I'm getting stronger. We deserve to talk to each other.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We're sitting here next to each other like nothing happened. I love her, she loves me. I know that. She has no clue what's going on with me me. That's where the confrontation needs to happen. I'm thinking about changing my logon to go completely clean in the conversation so she can share this site with me. Good idea?
Old 10-14-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No. It’s your recovery, not hers.

You wouldn’t take her to an AA meeting, nor would she probably want to go.

Certainly be open and honest with your wife. Tell her you’ve joined a recovery group online if you want.

My wife knows I come to SR, but she has never asked me what I do here, nor has she ever asked me what happens at AA meetings.

I don’t think she really wants to know, or even cares. She just wants me to be a sober husband.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've recommended this site to a good friend recently. But I didn't share my screen name. Personally, this is kind of like therapy or a diary for me. If you'd let your wife read your diary perhaps it makes sense, but not for me personally.

How about long walks and good talks together? After a while, explain your situation little by little if it feels right? Also keeps you away from drinks, and outdoor air and exercise is the best medicine.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok. I've decided that she has committed 34 years of her to me and I'm going to be honest about my drinking and my actions.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This needs to get done before tailgating. I love my wife.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What is your dilemma? She knows you drink. She doesn't like it. You're quitting.

What is all this back and forth? You don't need to tell her every dirty detail, or that you have been sneaking drinks or hiding bottles or whatever guilt you are feeling. Just, "I'm done with drinking." If you want to tell her someday, then think about why you want to tell her and if it benefits your relationship.

Then - be done with drinking.

You're going to be okay.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
This needs to get done before tailgating.
Tailgating? Skip it. Maybe an action that would indicate you are serious about quitting, one that puts recovery ahead of the atmosphere of partying and alcohol, would be stronger than talking about it.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i think something causing problems is calling communication confrontation.

tailgating- i stood a snowballs chance in hell of getting and staying sober if i went around wet places and wet faces early on.

if nothing changes, then nothing changes.

i can sit in the garage all day but that aint gonna make me a car
Old 10-14-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are right to just be honest with your wife. She knows you better than anyone else, I'm guessing. And I get where she's coming from....if my AH has been drinking, I'd rather just know about it than be lied to.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Trust me, if you are drinking, your wife will know. No matter how hard you try to cover it up, hide it, deny it... she will be on to you. BTDT w/ my AH.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tailgaiting sober is fun too! I don't know about you but college games I went/go to don't allow alcohol in stadium. Sobering up at a sporting event sucks... It's loud and always gave me a headache.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

I'd suggest your AV is telling you to hold off talking to your wife about quitting to keep the option to drink an option, once that 'announcement " is made , it is a little more difficult to allow ourselves the choice to drink, not impossible just more difficult.
If you've quit , you don't have to say anything , she'll know ,yeah?

Not saying anything about it , especially prior to the tailgating ,is making the option that much easier to choose.

If you've quit , not telling her or telling her has no bearing , yeah?
If you're on the fence and you believe telling her 'makes' it 'real', then not telling her is keeping it from being for real, yeah?
Old 10-14-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, it's obvious we are all getting entirely different meanings from bobdrop's posts.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think I love you Bimini! You get right to the point.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't think I have a choice about tailgating. I'll let everyone know afterwards.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I admitted some personal stuff here, but from what I'm hearing, it's like Vegas. Maybe not a new logon.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Don't have a choice about tailgating? So if you broke your ankle you would still tailgate and then get to the ER after?