Notices

Confused

Old 10-11-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confused

I'm really committed to staying sober but my only fear is that all my friends drink a lot. What am I supposed to do? Shut them out? I'm confused...
Old 10-11-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Same here unfortunately. Both my friends and family. I am going to tell them all my intentions over the next few days or when the opportunity arises. Its either going to be that they are in support and want to help, or knowing the people I know, they will tease and try to enable me back to the drinking life. If that is the case, I will have no choice but to cut the negative ones out of my life. Its sad but I think it just needs to be done when you're making a serious life change like this.
This is just my take on the situation and what I will probably have to do. I would hope for other people that their friends will understand and be supportive.

Brighten
Old 10-11-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a hard one to navigate and I struggle with this one too.

For me it's very important right now that I surround myself with people who are supportive of my sobriety goal.
I learned it's very difficult and a real trigger to be around alcohol or functions/friends associated with alcohol. I'm not there yet, I need some distance.

I didn't feel a need to take out an ad or post to all my fb friends for instance that I was quitting but when it comes up I deal with it. I let people know I'm not drinking, it all depends on who I'm talking to. Some I'm very upfront with others I say it is a reflux issue (which isn't a lie) and they don't really need to know anymore than that.
I'm learning that for the most part the only person fixated on what's in my glass is me and if any of my friends are affected by my not drinking a beverage with alcohol well that really says a lot more about their relationship with alcohol than mine.
Be good to yourself these early days of sobriety change is hard and you need all the support you can get!!
Old 10-11-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you think you can be around them without drinking right now?

I couldn't do that in early days. I can do it now, but not at first.

Will they spend time with you away from alcohol, like at a park or coffee shop?
Old 10-11-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This has been an issue for me too in the past, it led to many relapses. Eventually I realised that they were not my true friends and this realisation happened whilst I was still drinking. Now I just say 'I don't drink', if they have a problem with that then I don't want them in my life.

However, I'm also aware that I've used drinking friends to justify relapsing. My addicted brain desperately tries to find reasons to carry on - "oh all these friends of mine drink, so I have to do it too", when in actual fact they're completely ok with me not drinking, I'm just using it as an exuse.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that it's hard in early recovery because of the choices you need to make. It's so important to be doing things and being around people who support your recovery.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alexe
It's a slippery slope. My "friends" were drinking friends. Now that I have stopped drinking, there are still a few who offer their time to "hang out" alcohol free. But I never established a relationship with them that didn't include alcohol, so I haven't bothered to test the waters by "hanging out" with them. A few days into my sobriety, I had one such "friend" come over to check on me. He was very supportive of my quitting. But there we were, "hanging out" without alcohol, and I realized "I really don't have anything in common with this person. Hell, I don't even really like him. " LOL. He couldn't understand why I wanted to cut ties. I had to explain that we had nothing in common other than drinking, and that it was too hard for me to be around people who triggered me to drink.
You will have to figure out what is going to work for YOU in order to NOT drink. Trust your intuition. Put out your feelers lightly, and if it feels triggering to be with these people, you may have your answer right there, at least for now in your early days. And you may even discover with the more sobriety time you have under your belt, that these people weren't really your "friends".
Good luck. It will be ok. You will make NEW friends, sober.