Depression

Old 10-11-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression

I would like to know how many of you have suffered from depression or are suffering from it and whether you are prone to it or whether you think it's caused by the effects of being involved with an alcoholic.
I have felt constantly down and snappy for a while to the point where the dr thought it was an early menopause and put me on Hormone Replacement.
Up until my blood tests came back as normal and I was promptly taken off it again.
Leads me to one conclusion and that is that my relationship is seriously affecting my mental health because I can't pinpoint it on anything else. Not even work.
Who else feels like it's a struggle to get out of bed in a morning?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Onefortheditch View Post
I would like to know how many of you have suffered from depression or are suffering from it and whether you are prone to it or whether you think it's caused by the effects of being involved with an alcoholic.
I have felt constantly down and snappy for a while to the point where the dr thought it was an early menopause and put me on Hormone Replacement.
Up until my blood tests came back as normal and I was promptly taken off it again.
Leads me to one conclusion and that is that my relationship is seriously affecting my mental health because I can't pinpoint it on anything else. Not even work.
Who else feels like it's a struggle to get out of bed in a morning?
YEP!

I went to a therapist whereby I was diagnosed with among other things clinical depression. At that time I didn't want to blame it on my XAGF because I had not learned that this was in fact what I was dealing with. She had me convinced it was my lack of communication, my blah blah blah and I began to believe it.

It was during this time that it was suggested that I had absolutely no history of it before, no family history, etc so they began to bring into the light the fact that it was related to my environment and possibly my relationship.

So long story short, yes it can and yes you get back to normal again after the source of the emotional upheaval was gone.

Get help. Its real and you are allowed to ask for help to get ahead of it.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Onefortheditch...I think that the next logical step would be to ask for a referral to a psychiatrist for evaluation for depression.....

Of course, being in a dysfunctional relationship an affect your mental and physical health in major ways.......
Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heya Onefor, yep I'm a depressive and have been since I was 18. I'm now 54.

I became depressed before I met my qualifier. There is acute and chronic depression. I have chronic depression but when I left my qualifier I experienced 3 years of acute depression . . . .yippee, double depression.

Fortunately for me anti-depressive meds take the edge off and exercise helps.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I actually had stress induced illness when I was with exah. I came close to needing a kidney transplant cos my kidney function got so bad. It is now normal and I also had a heart condition that mysteriously cleared up after we split up too. Even now , 3 years on, I think am a bit "flat" mood wise. I never have true feelings of happiness or joy but I am not in the depths of despair either. Am just blipping a long feeling even but no real highs. I think that's a symptom of how bad it was for way too long and am hoping it will resolve in time.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been suffering from depression off and on for a few years now and anxiety on top of that for much, much longer. I have "good" days and very down days, and I know it's due to my living situation, and all the changes I've had in my life within the past few years.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi onefortheditch
Yip I suffered (what I and doc though was depression)on and off for 10 years,usually around the same time rah was having a great time.It was like he drained any energy I'd left over, looking back I was sick but not with depression with putting up with his BS.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Leads me to one conclusion and that is that my relationship is seriously affecting my mental health because I can't pinpoint it on anything else."

I could have wrote that myself. Doing the medical checks as well because just do not feel myself and to rule anything else out. I have no advice but understand exactly where you are. I have always been hopeful, positive person and feel I have changed for the worse. Take care and best to you.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My addict suffers from several addictions - alcohol addiction being one.

My relationship with her terribly affected my mental health to the point where I was brought to my knees - literally brought to my knees.

I am still in no contact mode pretty much since the beginning of June - I'm still suffering. I'm ok but suffering.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Right about now is the closest to depression I have been. Yes it is a family disease and affects you in ways you did not think it would. I am just riding it out ~ probably a part of healing
Old 10-13-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Onefortheditch View Post
I have suffered with depression for many, many years. I've kept it to a low roar by taking an antidepressant and going to therapy. Last November, though, I found myself in a hole that I couldn't get out of. Looking back, it was a slow decline that began in March 2016. Very slow until the end, when the bottom dropped out. On top of that, I had developed pretty severe anxiety. I've always had a little social anxiety, but this was completely different. I was going into work with a heart rate in the 140s.

I spent 6 days in an inpatient facility to get over the acute crisis. I also took 6 weeks FMLA to try to get back to my baseline. In hindsight, what I should have done was end my relationship with my ABF.

Hang in there. Regardless of where it's coming from, depression is no joke.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with the other posters, we do it to ourselves with the relationships we have with sick people, its contagious. They have it, so you are going to have it. I tried antidepressants and they didn't help me.

Once I divorced axh, sleep came back, anxiety disappeared, and confidence came back. Let me tell you, it took a lot of time and therapy, but it all came back. When something consumes more then we can give, your body suffers.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

I used to think I had a tendency towards depression but it was never like not being able to get out of bed and function. It was just being moody and angry because of things that were unjust. After getting into a relationship with an addict, I was diagnosed with depression relating to my circumstances. I was also diagnosed with menopause. After ending the relationship, I sleep better, I feel better, I no longer have back pain, and I no longer have menopause (although I am old, so might get it anyway).

I agree with Maia, I think being in a relationship that consumes more than we can give makes us suffer physically.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smile1478 View Post
"Leads me to one conclusion and that is that my relationship is seriously affecting my mental health because I can't pinpoint it on anything else."

I could have wrote that myself. Doing the medical checks as well because just do not feel myself and to rule anything else out. I have no advice but understand exactly where you are. I have always been hopeful, positive person and feel I have changed for the worse. Take care and best to you.
Me too. Always thought I could fox or find a way to deal with anything.
Except this.
And one more thing: I'm actually bored to death with it now.