Notices

Enough is enough..I think?

Old 10-07-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enough is enough..I think?

Hello, my name is Kevin. At 31, I seem to nursing an epic hangover from 10+ years of nonstop partying and self-abuse. It was fun at one point, I swear it was.... But, its all begun to catch up with me. Awful, sweaty mornings, more burnt bridges then I can cound, relationships smashed to smithereens, careers ruined, chubby man boobs and gut, and so on. However, like any insane person, I keep diving back into turbulent waters expecting a different ride. I want to stop, I NEED to stop, but can't seem to break the chains to make that first step. Advice? Encouragement? A soft pat on the back? Thanks in advance
Old 10-07-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Kland,

There is hope and this site is filled with many of us that were where you are. First act is to not pick up a drink today. Drink plenty of water, be kind to yourself, and get a plan for recovery. Good luck and keep coming back posting about anything on your mind.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kevin

I found a lot of help and support here - a few ideas too - and that made the difference for me.

Read around, post as much as you like - post here before you give into temptation...glad to have you on board
D
Old 10-07-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
Drinking was fun for me, too, in my early years. But, like you, I found I was in over my head.
I drank for a lot longer than you and have the scars to prove it.
It was like I went to a party and didn't leave for twenty years.
In short order, I was drinking every day. I'll spare you the gory details, but at the end, the shakes, anxiety and fear the day after was overwhelming.

Some people here use this site for support to quit. I personally went to AA where, like here, I found people just like me.
I know where you're coming from and you're wise to realize you may have a problem.
Stick around. Try an AA meeting. If you're serious about stopping, do whatever it takes.
Best to you.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Kevin - you've come to a friendly place with plenty of encouragement.

In my 30's I knew I didn't drink normally, but refused to take action. I kept going, trying to control my drinking. I ended up as a much older person - drinking all day with a ruined life. This won't happen to you. Be glad you've seen what needs to be done. Yes, it was fun once - but if we've crossed over from social to alcoholic drinking, it's time to save ourselves. You can do this.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Kland! This site has given so much encouragement and support on my road to sobriety, I'm just so grateful. I hope you stay with us and get some sober days under your belt. I promise it gets better , I'm coming up on 30 days now and I feel measurably better! You can do this!!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just take one day at a time. I am on the road to recovery and I know (for me) looking too many steps ahead is overwhelming. Try to do some exercises, taking a walking, read book, start a new craft (if you are in to that)...trying something new and be proud of yourself! Best of luck.