Notices

Ian

Old 10-07-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ian

I had been drinking addictively for 15 years , and very heavily the last ten years. I followed the classic route of failed marriage, lost job and estranged children.
I had completed one detox, but failed to stick with sobriety.
I finally become so ill with alcohol abuse I was warned by doctors that I was facing an end of life crisis.
With the help of a recovery program I have just completed another detox. This is day 13....sober!
But I feel so dreadful. I am still shaking badly, I can barely manage the stairs in my house. And I am definitely confused. My friend is typing this for me as I am unable to control my shaking.
I used to be a semi professional athlete untill my 40s and I am very concerned about the decline in my health.
I would like to ask the forum for any information concerning the shaking. How long will it take to stop? Will I ever recover my health. I am 60.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and congratulations on 13 days of sobriety.

We are not allowed to offer medical advice, but generally physical symptoms diminish in a week or so. It would probably be a good idea to talk to your dr if you haven't done so recently.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, I'm sorry that none of us can really answer your question as to length of time to expect the shaking.

Have you thought about asking your medical team?

13 days is very early-on if you were a heavy drinker. I'm glad you have a friend with you.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Ian,

Good job on 13 days. We all regain our health at different rates and levels. All I know is you only have a chance to regain your health if you stay quit. Do all the obvious stuff like drink plenty of water, eat Whole Foods and get lots of sleep. I personally took about 30-45 days before the night sweats, shaking and anxiety subsided. I hope yours recovers quicker.

good luck
Old 10-07-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ian and welcome

I never had shaking - or never noticed it - but if it's worrying why not see a Dr? couldn't hurt?

D
Old 10-08-2017, 12:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that info

I had assumed the shaking would stop after the detox. I will Have more patience. Thank you. t
Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
Welcome Ian,

Good job on 13 days. We all regain our health at different rates and levels. All I know is you only have a chance to regain your health if you stay quit. Do all the obvious stuff like drink plenty of water, eat Whole Foods and get lots of sleep. I personally took about 30-45 days before the night sweats, shaking and anxiety subsided. I hope yours recovers quicker.

good luck