Notices

Counting Days

Old 10-07-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counting Days

I find it odd we're all so obsessed with the number of days since we last drank. The more I think about this, it's seems that if one makes a decision to leave alcohol in the past then it's behind you, just like leaving a bad relationship. I can understand counting down to something, but not away from a bad experience.

It's day 8 for me now and I'm just thinking it would be easier to move forward without the burden of a time frame.

Thoughts on this....??

P.S. it's a wonderful morning hangover free!
Old 10-07-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AM100 View Post
I find it odd we're all so obsessed with the number of days since we last drank. The more I think about this, it's seems that if one makes a decision to leave alcohol in the past then it's behind you, just like leaving a bad relationship. I can understand counting down to something, but not away from a bad experience.

It's day 8 for me now and I'm just thinking it would be easier to move forward without the burden of a time frame.

Thoughts on this....??

P.S. it's a wonderful morning hangover free!
It is a personal choice. Everyone is different. Do what works for you. Some people it is better if they count days and some it doesn't really matter.

For me it gives me a sense of accomplishment and it makes me happy. It helps keep me from drinking because I know how hard I got to get to the day I am at.

Point is do whatever helps you stay sober. I've learned that finding what works for you is what is most important. Come up with your own plan and copy certain things that other people do that helps you. If they are doing something that won't really help you then I wouldn't worry about it
Old 10-07-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Almost everyone here can tell you when they took their first drink, how long they have been drinking. Why not the same with your sobriety?
Old 10-07-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 days. Everyone is different, some like to count, others don't. In the end, the only thing that matters is staying sober, whatever it takes!
Old 10-07-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

We humans like to keep track of momentous events....birthdays anniversaries and the like.

I can't tell you my day count but I know my sober date cos thats the day everything changed.

I know people with successful long term recovery who count their days and those who don't.

As long as you're staying clean and sober I reckon you're doing it the right way

Congrats on 8 days

D
Old 10-07-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AM100 hi and great job getting through the dreaded Friday night! I agree that it is personal choice but I'm definitely a counter. It's helpful for me and is another little thing I think about if I get a craving. Throw away my 70.65 days? (ha yes I've got a sober app!). No way do I want to start again!
However the purist AVRT followers don't count (as I understand it) once they've made their big plan "I will never drink again and I will never change my mind" that's it done! Very interesting approach and worth having a peep at in the secular section if you fancy it.....
Keep going whatever you decide it's your sobriety after all xxx
Old 10-07-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't count days.

The only day that counts, is Today.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RetiredGuy View Post
Congrats on 8 days. Everyone is different, some like to count, others don't. In the end, the only thing that matters is staying sober, whatever it takes!
What he said....
Old 10-07-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sober style

I used to count empty beer cans. Counting sober days seems like it's healthier for me.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How old are you?

I celebrate my sobriety date as the date chosen for me to start a new life. I celebrate my birthdate as the date chosen for me to start my journey on this earth.

I do have an app on my phone that will count the days. As other's have said only today matters but the longer I get away from my last drink, I feel a stronger commitment to my sobriety. If I drink now it would be like cheating on a spouse.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's a personal deal for me.. My soberity date is more important than my real birthday.. I know my good friends soberity birthdays too and hope the dates never change!!

Thanks for posting and kudos on 8 days.. keep up the good work!! Wishing you the best!
Old 10-07-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great job on 8 days, you are past that first week which is fantastic.

I can tell you that my last drink was December 31, 2015, and January 1, 2016 is a really important date in my life. In the beginning I counted the days, then the months and big milestones. I am looking forward to hitting two years on January 1st, and although I can't tell you the exact day I am at I do treasure the milestones.

You need to figure out whether counting days works for you or not. Our recovery is a our what works for us individually.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning,

I hope I didn't strike a nerve here. I really appreciate all of the opinions and view points.

I guess my thinking was this... I find myself thinking about days and it seems to cause more focus on not drinking than dealing with responsibilities.

As for days, it's 9 for me, this is the longest stretch I've been without alcohol in 20 years. The first few days were surprisingly easy compared to the past 3 days, I guess I felt so damn bad it was a relief to my body. But now I find myself focusing on drinking so much I'm looking for ways to not think about it. In fact my cognitive abilities seem to be worsening rather than improving, it's such a struggle to concentrate in the manner I need to preform my job and other responsibilities. So.. I seem to have concluded I need to find ways to control and focus my mental energy one one task at a time. The ability to manage multiple tasks and people at a time has left me. Stopping drinking is, I truly belive, the single most difficult task I've ever undertaken and requires several methods of attack to overcome.

Someone asked my age, I'm 37.

I do know one thing for certain, drinking is no longer an option for me nor does it provide any short or long term benefits or purpose to any portion of my existence.

Thanks for allowing me into this community, it's been refreshing to come here daily, it helps to see I'm not the only one that struggles with this demon as badly as I do.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I do the same thing. I forget that I'm sober and the days add up (or not). I know which day I stopped, but have to count to check how many days have passed if I start wondering... No biggie.

I just don't like it when I feel like it's a competition.