Notices

Hi

Old 10-06-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Had been drinking heavily since age 17, am now 27. I got a DUI last October, and to avoid 3 months jail time I entered a DUI Court where they test me 1-3 times a week to keep me sober, so I have been sober for 6 months but it is essentially forced. I will say that I am happier now that I'm sober but still miss it. My P.O. encourage me to go on here because I'm way too shy for AA haha. I was binge drinking constantly on and off for 10 years, it didn't really seem like that long but now that I'm crunching the numbers wow that is intense to me. A lot of people ask me if I will start drinking again once I'm done with the program (it is a year and a half long) and I honestly don't know. After not drinking for 6 months it feels good to say I've gone that long and I'm scared if I start again I'll end up in jail or worse.. sorry I'm rambling I don't know what to say

xo Rachel
Old 10-07-2017, 12:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Rachel, glad you're here and congrats on 6 months already! How are you feeling without the booze? Reflecting on how your life has improved since you quit might help strengthen your resolve for after the program.
There's so many people here with tons of different journeys so read and share lots!
Old 10-07-2017, 12:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR

D
Old 10-07-2017, 12:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.

Imagine drinking like you did in the past for thirty years. That was me.
Until, that is, it turned into every day drinking for another ten years.
It can be progressive.
I talked my way, or someone was watching over me, from four DUI's.
Two of them were wrecks. How I didn't get busted is beyond me.

I'm glad you're here. I'm very shy, too. So I went to AA meetings and just listened. You're not required to say anything.
The only requirement is a desire to quit drinking.
Do you have that?

Please don't let yourself, once you get off your testing, to reach the lows I did.
I wasn't forced to quit. Well, I was, it was either quit, die, jail or an institution for me.

You'll find a lot of support here so stick around. I understand where you're coming from and congratulations on six months. Keep it up, it will only get better.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Rachel 👋 That sounds like a great program you're on. If it was me I'd definitely stay sober once it's finished. I had a few years sober and then went back to drinking and I really regret my decision. Anyway, there's lots of support on SR. It's really been helping me the last month.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I sometimes miss the brief escape as well, but the consequences are too much to go back to. I am also so much more functional when not drinking. The positives of not drinking are clearly a better life for me - maybe one day I won’t miss alcohol at all.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Rachel,

You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here. I would recommend that you never drink again because you will never have to worry about another DUI, health issues or any other type of alcohol related problem.

Good luck
Old 10-07-2017, 02:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

6 months is great Rachel that's a solid start
Old 10-07-2017, 02:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Rachel
Old 10-07-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-07-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Rachel. Good to meet you. Welcome to SR.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for replying it means a lot Some days I'm like yeah, I'm not gonna drink when I'm off the probation, who needs it, I'm doing way better now etc but then other days I'm just like wow I wanna go out to the bars and dance and have fun. I don't know. I do occasionally go dancing or out with friends and when I see them get completely ********* I am thankful I'm not doing that to myself anymore! And I feel a wee bit superior because I'm not going to have any of the problems they'll have tomorrow (hangover, embarrassed or regretful of the weird drunken things they did lol). One day at a time right