Notices

Day 3 exhausted

Old 10-04-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 exhausted

Hi all! I was a 1-2 bottle of wine a night plus a binge drinker with friends at least once a week until I decided to quit. Saturday night was my last night - a serious binge. Rounding out three days and 22 hours. I'm so tired at night and I'm very surprised by this. Not having any other withdrawal symptoms. Getting home from a long work day around 6:30 and landing on the couch and then asleep by 8. And then sleeping for 9-10 hrs straight which I never do. It's amazing to be this tired since i am usually wound up, anxious and have lots of wakeful sleep. Is this heavy sleeping a part of recovery or is this how sober people actually sleep 🤔 Any comments on your own experiences would be appreciated!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are on Day 3.

I think often people have trouble with sleep patterns and insomnia in early recovery. That was definitely the case for me. I think the main thing is that you are listening to your body and doing what you need to do.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Jess

Some people sleep a lot, others not at all - it's the body readjusting I think. The way we used to drink must take a toll.

D
Old 10-05-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your kind replies all! Moving into a full 5 days (can't believe I've made it this long). Had another profoundly deep and satisfying sleep last night. I find myself eating a lot of junk food. But for now, as long as I don't drink, I'm ok with this.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Jess. I was a mess in the early days of recovery - I was exhausted, but couldn't fall asleep or stay asleep. Everything settled down. I'm glad you got a good quality sleep last night. Congrats on your 5 days - be proud.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

im exhuasted week 4.......it's normal trust me lol
Old 10-05-2017, 09:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I couldn't sleep, had dreadful dreams and a monster headache early on, but I got better the longer I went. Sleep is decent these days, the dreams still vary.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 days . My sleep in the first few days was terrible and filled with crazy dreams . I,m at 9 weeks and just beginning to do something about diet as I also used junk food for comfort and had the same attitude as you "as long as I wasn't drinking ".
Old 10-06-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My sleep was fine. I actually was up more than before when I was drinking and had a ton more energy.

Everyone is different so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Either way your body is adjusting and you will notice changes.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Jess, congrats on day 5 and I am glad to hear you are getting some quality rest.

Not the case for me, lots of insomnia, calmed down a little now but still averaging maybe 5 hours per night. I feel very very tired but when my head hits the pillow there is no sleep to be had.
When I do sleep I had severe dreams the first week which have calmed down now but are not gone completely.

However even with so little sleep my mood and appetite for the day ahead is much better when I do get up compared to what it was if I was drinking.

Glad it seems to be better early days for you with your rest.
Long may it continue!