Notices

Holding my own

Old 09-30-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holding my own

Hello everyone, for the last 3 months I kept telling myself I can do this without any help. No AA or online forum support. But alot of days I find myself reading old threads from sites like this just so I can relate to some one so here I am.
I drank alcohol every single day for what I think may have been 9 years. With maybe a few days off here and there. I've thought to myself I need to stop alot of times but this so far is the longest stretch. Thank goodness nothing horrible has ever come of it. Just missed occasions and memory makings and regrets and a slight wear and tear on the relationship with my grown daughter. Occasionally I go back to thinking perhaps I can control how often I drink if I feel like i would enjoy having a drink once in awhile. Then logically I tell myself why bother then? But what is scaring me is those thoughts are creeping in more and more....
Old 09-30-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR, Pollyan - it's great to meet you.

It made all the difference to me, when I found a place where I could talk freely about what I was going through. No one else in my life understood - they were all social drinkers. I'm glad you have stopped - I didn't when I knew I should - and very bad things happened. It was thinking I could control it that put me in danger many times. I would love to have had 'a couple' once in a while - but there was no such thing for me. Once the first one hit my system, all my resolve went out the window. In the end, it felt great to be free of it. I think reading here will help strengthen you - we all care and want to help.

Congratulations on your 3 months.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome to SR, Pollyan - it's great to meet you.

It made all the difference to me, when I found a place where I could talk freely about what I was going through. No one else in my life understood - they were all social drinkers. I'm glad you have stopped - I didn't when I knew I should - and very bad things happened. It was thinking I could control it that put me in danger many times. I would love to have had 'a couple' once in a while - but there was no such thing for me. Once the first one hit my system, all my resolve went out the window. In the end, it felt great to be free of it. I think reading here will help strengthen you - we all care and want to help.

Congratulations on your 3 months.
Thank you for your kind words and support. It does feel alot better to say something to someone. I can see that having that one drink could be a crucial mistake. The things I find hard ...not hanging out with some friends I have that heavily socially drink. And feeling a sense of boredom. I go to the park alot and read. Watch tv shows. I've tried taking up embroidery 😁
Old 09-30-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's an adjustment, for sure - but things get much easier as you get some sober time behind you. I had to learn to live in a whole new way - drinking was part of everything I did. You're wise to stay distracted to fight the boredom. Embroidery - I used to do counted cross stitch - but gave it up because I couldn't concentrate. Maybe I should try again.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Pollyan welcome

"Occasionally I go back to thinking perhaps I can control how often I drink if I feel like i would enjoy having a drink once in awhile. Then logically I tell myself why bother then? But what is scaring me is those thoughts are creeping in more and more...."

The alcoholic in our head sounds so very convincing. It plays tricks on us. Thinking that we can control it "this time" is its big lie. Stay strong. 3 months is awesome.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It has to be a blessing that you are noticing the subtle changes in your thinking. It means there is still time to do something about it.

IME treating alcoholism, if that is what you have suffered from, is more a matter of positive action rather than distraction. Distraction in this context is more a form of denial than anything.

I tried distraction and failed to notice my thinking wondering off track. I was so distracted that I didn't notice the fatal first drink until after it was down my neck.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Polly,

Imo...

You are on the right track. It took many many months before my obsessions lessened. If you are med free, that is what will hopefully happen to you.

Now the obsessions are nearly gone. I sit easy w my frustrations. They don't manifest into bigger issues today.

I know, from my siblings in sobriety (here), that a relapse will destroy me. That is why I come back all the time. I stray sometimes, but I have come back here steadily since I discovered this place over 2 years ago.

I am physically and mentally clean. I will never drink again. I cracked 2 times, both were analytical decisions. That has been my nemesis thus far.

My sister drinks about 1 glass of wine a night and takes benzos. She tells me she admires my strength and can't understand how I was able to kick the habit.

The way I did it, is no secret. I cried like a baby, to God, and asked him to save my sorry soul. I told him I need him to take the wheel for a while. My pain immediately lifted. That is step 1 of the 12 in AA.

I am not an AA'r, I am a hybrid.

Stay clean.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome PollyAnn

SR has kept me honest - the members here have helped me see that thoughts of maybe I could drink normally now are just bait on a hook for a fish like me

D
Old 10-01-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It's an adjustment, for sure - but things get much easier as you get some sober time behind you. I had to learn to live in a whole new way - drinking was part of everything I did. You're wise to stay distracted to fight the boredom. Embroidery - I used to do counted cross stitch - but gave it up because I couldn't concentrate. Maybe I should try again.
It does help to get something accomplished and maybe we learn some thing good about ourselves while we craft! Continuous good luck to you!
Old 10-01-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
Hi Pollyan welcome

"Occasionally I go back to thinking perhaps I can control how often I drink if I feel like i would enjoy having a drink once in awhile. Then logically I tell myself why bother then? But what is scaring me is those thoughts are creeping in more and more...."

The alcoholic in our head sounds so very convincing. It plays tricks on us. Thinking that we can control it "this time" is its big lie. Stay strong. 3 months is awesome.
When looking at it that way it kinda brings to mind the devil on my shoulder..its funny I hadn't looked at it that way at all until just now..
Old 10-01-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Dee74;6621786]Hi and welcome PollyAnn

SR has kept me honest - the members here have helped me see that thoughts of maybe I could drink normally now are just bait on a hook for a fish like me

D[/QUOTE thank you. Nice analogy! 😊
Old 10-01-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Pollyan View Post
When looking at it that way it kinda brings to mind the devil on my shoulder..its funny I hadn't looked at it that way at all until just now..
That little devil on the shoulder is the AV ( addicive voice) , it is any doubt in your ability to remain abstinent, or thought of future drinking.

When I stumbled onto SR , I found out about AVRT( Addictive Voice Recognition Technique) , it taught me how to 'hear' my AV , but stop listening to IT. And how not to worry if IT starts to creep up, ITs presence isn't a bad sign, annoying sure, but not in and of itself dangerous. Feel free to tell IT to bugger off
Great threads here on SR about those ideas in the Secular Connections forum, congratulations on your decision to quit !
wish you well and hope to see you around