Notices

Nova's Sober Holiday Journal 🌞🌞🌞

Old 09-29-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nova's Sober Holiday Journal 🌞🌞🌞

My husband and I are heading off on holiday on Monday for a week. Last year during a period of sobriety I went on a long weekend city break and had a fab time sober. This however will be my first sober 'holiday'. Holidays previously meant being able to drink all day every day...I'm on holiday right? No work...no driving...no restrictions!!!! I'd usually return from a holiday feeling more tired and drained than before I left...of course...my body was busy the whole holiday trying to process all of the alcohol...my sleep would not be restful etc etc. Well not this time 😊 I have been so busy at work that I am desperate for some R&R...and that is what my mind and body are going to get...its what I 'deserve' and need. I absolutely cannot wait. So I'm going to keep a sober holiday thread where I will update each day how I'm getting on to ensure that I focus on and pay attention to all the positives of a sober holiday 🌞🌞🌞

The first thing to note is that previously the holiday would have started way before we arrived at our destination...I'd have consumed 2 bottles of wine tonight to 'celebrate' finishing work for a week or so and our holiday starting. That, I'm pleased to say was not the case tonight...my husband cooked us both a lovely meal and I'm now tucked up in bed ready to get some much needed sleep so that I have the energy and the concentration to pack tomorrow and grab some last minute bits. Then Sunday morning I'll be going to my fitness class before heading to a hotel near the airport ready for our flight early Monday morning ✈✈✈
Old 09-29-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Enjoy your holiday, Nova!
Old 09-29-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds great and like you have lots to look forward to over the next week or so.
Interested to keep an eye on your diary and sure it will help lots of people who haven’t don’t the first holiday yet including myself.

Well done you
Old 09-29-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bon Voyage Nova - looking forward to updates

D
Old 09-30-2017, 02:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ooohhhh I can't wait to follow along vicariously! Where are you headed?
You are so right about spending a holiday drinking, you come back more tired and worn down than before you left. I think of all the times I spent my holiday drinking, never really seeing and appreciating the place I was visiting. Just think of the marvellous memories you will make this time! Enjoy your time away and keep us updated! Oh and don't forget to tell us all abut the food, I love food updates from new destinations!
Old 09-30-2017, 02:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

oh and there is nothing worse than navigating travel- airports, transfers, taxis, trains- while hungover and drunk. Blehhhhh! Sober is definitely the way to go!
Old 09-30-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

48 hours to go...

After a good night's sleep and a lie-in I spent the day washing clothes and starting the packing. Am looking forward to swimming, reading a good book or two, spending time with my husband and generally relaxing.

We had a friend's birthday party to attend this evening. I drove and we only stayed for an hour...feel a bit guilty for leaving so soon but we didn't know anyone else and when you don't have consuming booze to occupy you an hour feels long enough!!!! Hopefully she'll understand...and she'll enjoy her night. The early exit and soft drinks mean I'll be all good for tomorrow morning's fitness class 🏋️*♀️🏋️*♀️🏋️*♀️
Old 09-30-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
ooohhhh I can't wait to follow along vicariously! Where are you headed?
You are so right about spending a holiday drinking, you come back more tired and worn down than before you left. I think of all the times I spent my holiday drinking, never really seeing and appreciating the place I was visiting. Just think of the marvellous memories you will make this time! Enjoy your time away and keep us updated! Oh and don't forget to tell us all abut the food, I love food updates from new destinations!
Thanks Meraviglioso...we're going to Menorca 🇪🇸
Old 09-30-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have a great holiday ☺ sober definitely the way to go. I will follow your thread with interest as going on hols end of next week and determined to stay sober

. Last time we went in April we got so drunk in the airport hotel flying out night before I was so ill for the flight the next morning. Plus I was too over limit to drive so had to leave the car in hotel which cost me £200 😢20 in taxis and a wasted 80 for the airport car park I'd already pre booked and paid for.

It's cringe worthy actually writing this out.

This time wI'll be different.

Happy sober hols to all 😀
Old 10-01-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

12 hours to go...

We're at the hotel near the airport ready for our flight early tomorrow morning. We've been out for dinner...lime and soda all the way. Enjoyed my fitness class this morning...although I think the chocolate brownie, ice cream and chocolate sauce for dessert will have undone most of the work I put in 😉 Looking forward to getting to our destination tomorrow 🌞✈🇪🇸
Old 10-01-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad it’s all getting off to a good start.
Don’t worry about the dessert, your on your hols!
Be very good to yourself.
Safe trip
Old 10-02-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am looking forward to your updates- I think that's a fantastic thing to keep you accountable ( and I have a couple hot vacations coming up that I need all the help I can get )!!! Have a great vacation!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful hol !

This year was my first ever holiday sober , 2 weeks in Portugal..it was best hol I ever had 😄

Your going to have a fab time 👍🏻👍🏻
Old 10-02-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

12 hours behind schedule...

So...instead of arriving at our destination as planned 12 hours ago...we have just arrived. We found out at 4am that the airline we were booked with went into administration at midnight...all their flights were cancelled. Luckily our travel agent got us booked on to a flight with a different airline...downside was that it was from an airport in another part of the country and not till the evening time. However we have finally made it and I am sitting on our sea view balcony sipping on a diet coke. It has been a stressful day and my AV did try to take advantage a few times but I kept reminding myself I want a sober restful holiday and alcohol will not provide that...plus shame and disappointment would kick in and I REALLY don't want to have to deal with that.

We are very tired and good for nothing right now except for bed. Tomorrow we will be refreshed and ready to explore our new surroundings...cant wait. I have reminded myself throughout the day that we are very lucky to still be going on our holiday as there are 100,000s of people who's holidays will be impacted upon by the airline going under...I feel blessed right now 💜
Old 10-02-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great attitude nova and glad your there and settled!
Onwards to tomorrow!!!
Old 10-03-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Technically day 2...

Today was our first full day here. I have been surprised by how aware I am of others drinking alcohol around me in restaurants and by the pool etc. I have had the urge a number of times today but they were fleeting and were shut down almost immediately as drinking is not an option for me.

Had a fab day lazing by the pool...lovely weather...25 degrees so had a couple of dips in the pool and read some of my book (Me Before You). Had a little afternoon siesta with my hubby and then walked down to a beautiful harbour. Then we enjoyed some Tapas whilst people watching and enjoying the scenery. I have been really taken aback by how much cheaper our meals are without alcohol...its phenomenal.

It's a lovely quiet and relaxing location...exactly what we wanted for this holiday. The hotel has a spa so I will be booking in for a massage or two over the next couple of days.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great to hear how you are enjoying your hols. that was awful with Monarch wasn't it Good on you for getting through the trip without drinking especially after such a stressful day.

hope you have a lovely relaxing holiday
Old 10-03-2017, 10:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

MmmmmmTapas! The location sounds wonderful, I am glad you will get that relaxing holiday you wanted. What a way to start it out though. Good for you for taking calm and clear headed and not giving in to any thoughts of drinking.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your messages peeps...it really helps. Just had a delicious breakfast of fresh fruits and natural yogurt and freshly squeezed orange juice...followed by a savoury crossiant 🙈🙈🙈 am now back on a sunbed by the pool for day 3...it is a fabulously clear day...not a cloud in the sky...and when the sun gets too much I will head into the pool. I have my factor 30 sunscreen on and some insect repellent as I have already served as a meal for a number of mosquitoes since arriving!!!!!

Last night we headed to a local supermarket and grabbed some soft drinks and snacks to fill up our mini fridge in the room which thankfully hasn't had any alcohol in it because I strategically booked bed and breakfast and not all inclusive to reduce my access to alcohol 😉
Old 10-04-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 3 - part 2

Just got back to the hotel after a very enjoyable and relaxing meal at a seafood restaurant on the harbour...had prawns to start then salmon for main course. We're looking to book a boat taxi to the capital at the weekend. I'm sitting on our balcony about to start reading my next book 'Monster in the Closet'. I finished 'Me Before You' earlier...quite a tear jerker.

At the pool today a guy was so drunk by lunch time he fell over and had to be put on a sun lounger by his wife with the help of a waitress and left in the shade for the rest of the day to sleep off the booze. He'd nearly fallen into a table where people were eating their lunch but he managed to grab a sun umbrella stand which stopped the fall. I felt really sorry for his wife as I suspect this isn't the first time this has happened. It was a sad reminder of how alcohol can ruin things.