Notices

New recovery plan - getting out of a rut

Old 09-28-2017, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New recovery plan - getting out of a rut

Hi there soberfriends

So, I relapsed a few days ago and I was thinking of ways to improve my situation.

Truthfully due to working at home and working alot, I've gotten into some bad habits which I think are putting me in a bad state of mind.

For starters, I've decided to use the computer for only an hour a day when it's not work related. I spend too much time on here. I don't think it's good for my mental health.

Tied into that is my consumption of negative media. It's everywhere and just like I compulsively worry to try to wrestle control of whatever bad thing may happen to me, I also read all this terrifying, paranoid garbage which has left the world looking very bleak. So I'm going to just cut it out whenever possible, the world won't change regardless of my knowing about all the bad things happening in it. This is a lose - lose scenario.

In general I'm going to stick seriously to a mental health plan in terms of exercising, walking, writing, therapy, treat it like I'm rehabbing. Because I'm often good for a little while then I stop and get a lot worse.

In general I'm going to do everything I can to get out of this bleak psychological rut.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds good to me
Old 09-28-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good plan. Change things up, take care of your health.
This is all positive for recovery.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, this is exactly how I felt a few weeks ago when I started the sober journey. The thing that really helped for me was getting off all social media for a while. There were too many negative things going on in addition to all the other crap you have to be subjected to.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Those are all good things andagain
what are you going to do specifically about not drinking tho?

D
Old 09-28-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

WELCOME BACK. I see a psych'ist and do meetings. A doctor who cares for himself has a fool for a physician- for me.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Spending less time on social media is a good idea. Can you carve out an hour to go for a long walk outside each day? That helped me change my state of mind in early days. By the time I got home, cravings subsided and I felt some good endorphins/really healthy.