Notices

Another Newbie, 10 days (longest since i was 14)

Old 09-27-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Newbie, 10 days (longest since i was 14)

Hello,

I have been reading posts here in my darkest moments in the last 10 days and it's helped me from finding an excuse to drink or put myself in a position where i will drink, so i thought i would share my story & path to recovery.

This is the 2nd time which i have seriously attempted to quit the disease which is drinking, the first time i lasted around 6 days (2 years ago) and i fell victim to extreme withdrawal systems. This time around i must say, although i have had my bad moments it's been more manageable and i am much more determined to see this though.

Alcohol has been the root problem in pretty much every aspect of my life growing up, my dad was/is an alcoholic which was/is a less than loving relationship, i have been very successful in business over the past 10 years, only to lose multiple business worth many millions to the neglect and personal suppression which has come from drinking alcohol not to mention the end of my first marriage from messing around every night with randoms from bars/clubs & employees while drunk (that's a bad one i know).

I feel lucky in my position where i now don't have to work, i can lock myself away in the short term to avoid temptations and focus on starting a new business, i even walked into a bunch of my old drinking buddies in-between bars on the way back from the local shop the other day and managed to turn them down, despite the drunked abuse they gave me at the thought of me not being pissed 24/7..

I have told everyone i have a very large no drinking bet with a friend as a way to hopefully stop the social temptations which is by far my biggest hurdle to overcome.

I have a daughter now, and a son on the way. I am determined not to bring them up in the hellhole which comes with alcohol addition, So my first 10 days is done, and i am determined to make it 10 years.

J

Old 09-27-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to meet you, J. When I joined here I'd been drinking almost 30 yrs. I agree that the posts are very encouraging, & we never have to feel alone.

Welcome to your new life - and congratulations on the new baby.
10 days is fabulous.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It's wonderful to meet you, J. When I joined here I'd been drinking almost 30 yrs. I agree that the posts are very encouraging, & we never have to feel alone.

Welcome to your new life - and congratulations on the new baby.
10 days is fabulous.
Many thanks, 30 years is a long habit to break, i have been drinking for 15 years now.. i always told myself i would quit before 30 I'm proud of the 10 days, but even more proud of the attitude which i have managed to drill into my head this time around about seeing this through.

I appreciate the support
Old 09-27-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Very glad to have you join us James - welcome & congrats on 10 days

D
Old 09-27-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome James! This is a great place to work on sobriety!!
Old 09-27-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job mate, sounds like youre in a position to move forward too.

Well done.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you stay sober for good.