Heavy in denial or still under the influence?

Old 09-26-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heavy in denial or still under the influence?

My AH's DOC has been DXM, and apparently it can create 2-5 day trips. He is on the third day after using, and he still does not seem to recognize how crazy his behavior was last week. Can that happen with heavy denial, too? Usually he has gotten to a point of clarity after it was out of his system, but last week he used so much, it NEVER was out of his system.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

no one is in their right minds three days off of anything. especially not the more "mind" involved drugs. i suggest you lower your expectations to ZERO that he is going to See The Light. and i would not expect much in the way of cogent or coherent thoughts from him for 2-3 weeks. if that.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am not at all saying that this is what is happening to your husband, but it appears that DXM abuse can create cognitive deterioration. This paper seems to only describe a single individual. It describes the mental deterioration of a man in his late 30s who regularly abused DXM. It was published in the Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...188627/?page=1
Old 09-27-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hoping not

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
I am not at all saying that this is what is happening to your husband, but it appears that DXM abuse can create cognitive deterioration. This paper seems to only describe a single individual. It describes the mental deterioration of a man in his late 30s who regularly abused DXM. It was published in the Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...188627/?page=1
I am hoping he hasn't used it enough to get to that level...he just started 3 months ago. I was reading about the DXM "afterglow" described by users as better than the original trip itself lasting several days--I am hoping that is what it is.

I talked with him last night in the hospital--he still sounded like a drunk person in terms of his irrational thoughts, and he has not had any since Saturday night.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Heavy in denial or still under the influence?"
yes