Notices

lost in my own conscious..

Old 09-26-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

lost in my own conscious..

I was just out running some errands and stopped for some gas,cigs,ect.. I don't know why but I found myself in front of the beer cooler checking out the cost of it..I'm around 10+months sober and have zero desire to drink again,so why do I care how much beer is? Anyways..heading home a song came on about this guy being "lost in my own conscious".. So, google I did and it's pretty interesting when you break down the levels of it all..

https://www.consciouslifestylemag.co...ake-the-shift/
Old 09-26-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess there's a whole lot of habit involved, checking out beer prices, looking at what's on tap in a bar, wondering which wine would go best with the food, etc.

The article looks really interesting. Will have a look once I have a bit more time.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey you might of checked the price but you didn't purchase so congrats! Will power is a beautiful thing!
Old 09-26-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AshleyB View Post
Hey you might of checked the price but you didn't purchase so congrats! Will power is a beautiful thing!
I actually started laughing at myself. It was a complete "WTH?" moment. First time I've even been on 'that side' of the store in a few months.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for that link- I highly enjoyed it- gives me a lot to think about.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fora while I checked the booze prices on advertising boards or in the paper.It was almost a muscle memory thing.

One day I stopped. Never done it again

D

D
Old 09-26-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

How long does it take to break a habit? Three weeks, or three months, I am not sure, but I think it is a lot less than ten months.

Maybe this was nearly one of those "strange mental blank spots" that alcoholics of my type can experience. Like when we don't remember that we are not drinking anymore.

It is good that your human defences kicked in this time, but if it was me maybe it would be an idea to check my spiritual defences. I might ask myself how active am I in living the AA way of life, and what have I been doing to help the still suffering alcoholic? Just to make sure I have an effective 24/7 defence.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
How long does it take to break a habit? Three weeks, or three months, I am not sure, but I think it is a lot less than ten months.

Maybe this was nearly one of those "strange mental blank spots" that alcoholics of my type can experience. Like when we don't remember that we are not drinking anymore.

It is good that your human defences kicked in this time, but if it was me maybe it would be an idea to check my spiritual defences. I might ask myself how active am I in living the AA way of life, and what have I been doing to help the still suffering alcoholic? Just to make sure I have an effective 24/7 defence.
That's pretty much what it felt like when I 'snapped out of it'. Almost like I was sleep walking and 'woke up' in front of the beer cooler. I went to a meeting this morning because it was on my mind most of last night. Not drinking, but the 'why' of it. My favorite 'grumpy old man' told me it's because I'm a drunk and he's correct.

I'll add too that; I've been dealing with some personal crap that's out of my control and I have felt myself/mind trying to figure out how to 'control it'..futile effort and waste of energy. This was what I came to decide during my meeting and turned everything over to my HP again. My mind can be a bossy,save the world, idiot at times.