Notices

Sleep

Old 09-25-2017, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
d13

Sleep

I was a heavy liquor drinker for almost 10 years Ive been clean for 7 days The biggest thing for me is sleep Im lucky to get 3 hours a night. Anything that migjt help?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, d13! I'm glad you found us here. For me sleep was the biggest challenge when I quit after 25 years of drinking. I learned that while I drank I didn't so much "go to sleep" as simply pass out. I had it down to a science just how much I needed to drink to put me out, especially when combined with OTC sleep meds. Obviously that was a dangerous game!

The bad news is that it will probably take a little time. I discovered that melatonin is helpful, as well as having a routine. Find something relaxing before bedtime and avoid stimulating things. For example, don't lie there surfing Facebook in bed while trying to nod off.

For me time has helped a lot. It gets better. Your body needs some time to reprogram itself to sleep without the chemical cocktail from booze.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi d13
I think insomnia is part of the withdrawal process for most of u - things started getting a lot better in my second week

welcome to SR

D
Old 09-26-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Time. Unfortunately, there is no magic trick. I had trouble sleeping for several weeks, though not every night. For sure, the first handful of days were the worst, and then it slowly got better each night.

I recommend some sort of daily exercise (just a long walk will do), going to bed on the same schedule each night. Drink a calming tea before bed, and read a book once in bed. Not a "page-turner"! I read a book on the history of map making...snooze fest!
Old 09-26-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Counting breathes..

Originally Posted by tnek97 View Post
Time. Unfortunately, there is no magic trick. I had trouble sleeping for several weeks, though not every night. For sure, the first handful of days were the worst, and then it slowly got better each night.

I recommend some sort of daily exercise (just a long walk will do), going to bed on the same schedule each night. Drink a calming tea before bed, and read a book once in bed. Not a "page-turner"! I read a book on the history of map making...snooze fest!
I had restless legs after a day off my binges when on trying to sleep my legs would fidget and spasm periodically when I started to drift off. I have found counting my in natural in breathes and out breathes in series of ten both relaxing and calming and it generally does the trick for me.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi all! Day 3 here and the insomnia is making me crazy and sad! This is awful!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found the relaxation tapes on You Tube really helpful in the early days Also, playing games in the Arcade on SR (up top of the main page for the link)
Old 09-27-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There's some music recordings on YouTube that have helped mellow me out and get to sleep. Try the anxiety ones, there's one in particular for anxiety and depression that supposedly has subliminal messages, it has helped me more often than not
Old 09-27-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Chamomile or Valarian tea and a nice movie.
It's normal and will take a little time.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am a chronic insomniac and I think the best thing (and sometimes hardest thing) is to not let the insomnia upset you. As soon I start thinking, I have to get up at 6:30 tomorrow and it's already 1 AM, my heart rate picks up and I get more agitated and sleep is farther away. As hard as it is, try to not let it upset you, and have faith that the insomnia will improve.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Try magnesium powder, a tea spoon a night. You can find it at the supplement store it really helps with sleep management.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder

although we can all share what worked for us, we shouldn't be recommending things for others.

By the same token, if you read of something you think might help please run it past your doctor or at least your pharmacist because not every supplement is suitable for everyone.

Dee
SR
Old 09-27-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had sleep issues like most people especially the first couple weeks. I always thought I was less restless when I was well hydrated. Restless legs seemed to be less annoying when I had drank lots of water. It really is our bodies getting rid of all the poisons. Stay strong, it does improve.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Give it some time, don't drink and just be patient. I garuntee you'll start tonget your sleep back.

You'll see a huge difference between sober sleep and drunk sleep. The sober sleep is the most relaxing feeling you will have gotten in 10 years. That's what it felt for me anyway.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some common sense general tips here that may help - and certainly won't hurt

10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices
Old 09-28-2017, 03:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have a friend who swears by "turmeric milk". You can google it and find a recipe that works for you and tweak it as you like. Turmeric is also supposed to be a good liver detox supplement and has other health benefits. She drinks a warm cup full before she goes to bed every night and says she sleeps like a baby.
Hang in there. The insomnia gets better, although at first it seems like it will be the death of you. Just remember your brain is firing all over the place now that you're not consuming alcohol. Try and be patient and give it time. Good luck.