Notices

Getting kind of sick of this.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting kind of sick of this.

One day I'll be fine and hopeful and full of motivation. The next day I am crying, panicking, googling symptoms I have and convincing my self I am dying. It can change from hour to hour as well. I've eaten a piece of lettuce, 3 bites of pizza and a handful of gummy bears in the past week because I've convinced myself I can't swallow food properly anymore and I'm gonna choke.

Like? Is this anxiety going to get better. Because it seems to me that it is much worse since I quit drinking 73 days ago. Is my happy ending in sight? How long did it take everyone else to live a normal happy life. (I've developed agoraphobia as well and never leave my house either)
Old 09-24-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. As bad as it is now, returning to drinking can't be better. You have accomplished a lot already!

I can't say much as my situation is very different, but just remember we are all here for you and to keep posting.

Good luck, stay strong.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a lot of your symptoms so I saw a doctor.She put me on medications and they helped greatly.
I've been where you are. Afraid to leave the house. I still have the chocking thing going on, it's call dysphenesia or something close to that. And I've been sober over six years.

Things are better now, and they can be for you, too. Just remember, it's no reason to pick up a drink.
You're not alone. I suffered even worse symptoms then you describe and made it through. You can, too.
Again, seeing a doctor may be a good idea.
Best to you.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi babyedwards - maybe I'm misremembering but haven't you been dealing with some of these things for years?

Stopping drinking will undoubtedly help a bit but maybe you'll need extra help from Drs/therapists for some of it?

D
Old 09-24-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've always had anxiety but i had this vision in my head that when I stopped drinking I would be this whole new happy person and I'm just not. Thanks for the feedback everyone I appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babyedwards View Post
I've always had anxiety but i had this vision in my head that when I stopped drinking I would be this whole new happy person and I'm just not. Thanks for the feedback everyone I appreciate it.

Babyedwards- iam not sure of your background, but the work on anxiety and your inner peace takes as much effort as not drinking. You have 73 days, That's an amazing start and it's certainly easier to work on it sober.

You have changed your addiction , what else can you change about about your life for the better? Start small.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think some people can give up alcohol and their lives are great - for the rest of us tho not drinking just exposes the things we drank over in the first place.

Don;t lose heart tho - the best way to deal with these issues is stay sober - that way we can make the very best of the opportunity for a full recovery...if we drink we'll have no chance at all.

Hang in there babyedwards - it gets better

D
Old 09-25-2017, 01:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

73 days is a great achievement . I agree with Dee that once the alcohol is removed some of us are left with the original issues . During a 2 year period of sobriety I had a very hard time with anxiety for which I needed professional help and eventually I got better .You mentioned health anxiety , this was a problem with me and one that I still have to have certain rules over . DO NOT google symptoms ,2: stay away from health anxiety forums .3: Stop talking about illness . ( these are my rules and sometimes I slip up as I talked about a tension headache the other day , its a bad habit ) .
Its good to read how anxiety works and how sometimes we keep it going with our own thinking . There are many books on Amazon ( kindle editions are cheaper ) . Can you Talk to your doctor and arrange CBT , one of the talking therapies . Personally I didn't find and prescription drugs helped me long term .

Keep posting , you will get through this .
Old 09-25-2017, 02:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know you're struggling to eat for now, but how about a milky drink or hot chocolate with some sugar? I'm sure it would make you feel a lot better
I know when I used to struggle to eat, some days all I could manage was boiled water with sugar, but it did help.
Hope this isn't classed as medical advice x
Old 09-25-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babyedwards View Post
One day I'll be fine and hopeful and full of motivation. The next day I am crying, panicking, googling symptoms I have and convincing my self I am dying. It can change from hour to hour as well. I've eaten a piece of lettuce, 3 bites of pizza and a handful of gummy bears in the past week because I've convinced myself I can't swallow food properly anymore and I'm gonna choke.

Like? Is this anxiety going to get better. Because it seems to me that it is much worse since I quit drinking 73 days ago. Is my happy ending in sight? How long did it take everyone else to live a normal happy life. (I've developed agoraphobia as well and never leave my house either)
Hang in there. Funny you mentioned that feel like choking and don't want to eat. I thought I was alone with that one! I too have that feeling. I am scared to really eat any meat now, except for fish or chicken. Also, I am super conscious about other foods that I think will make me choke. Wonder what brings that on?? I never use to be like that either. Just letting you know you are not alone on that one!
Old 09-25-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it would be wise, as i suggested some time ago, to speak with the medical professional that diagnosed you with argarphobia and the other problems.the professionals cant help when they arent informed.