Notices

New car Not Stopping Me Drinking

Old 09-23-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New car Not Stopping Me Drinking

I got my new car on Wednesday. The stress of worrying how I will meet the repayment plan is causing so much anxiety that all I want to do is be happily drunk. I drank 3 bottles of wine yesterday and even drove over the limit in the car. How can I stop this insanity? I was sober in the lead up to picking the car up. Maybe I need AA after all.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Omigosh, please don't drive.

If you can't afford the car, return it, sell it, whatever, but stop drinking and driving. You don't need to continue to be stressed about repayment.

Please get what help you need.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sweeti - I think you should try AA if it can help you stop taking chances with your life. Please be safe and do what's needed to avoid a tragedy. We care about you!
Old 09-23-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sweet chick,
Near the end I would have tried anything to quit. I was one drink away from going to rehab. You do what you have to do. I see no way that AA could hurt. It may be just the thing.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AA has helped many I know.
Even after almost 10 years sober
I still attend.
M-Bob
Old 09-23-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please don't drink and drive sweetichick.

Too many people die on our roads - and you can't afford a fine or a suspended licence.

Look, the car was never going to fix all your problems - and I suspect you knew that.

It's really time to do something about your drinking.

Please do it now before you find yourself in even deeper water.

D
Old 09-23-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I won't be doing anymore drink driving. I can afford the car if I don't drink. Reading on here has helped me not let this turn into a relapse.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post

I can afford the car if I don't drink.
That's one excellent reason.
Bet you could easily
come up with 25 more?
We made a list in rehab.
Rather interesting.
M-Bob
Old 09-23-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you don't care enough about your life, please think of the lives of others. DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE. Get a dang Uber.

Now....AA - - YES YOU NEED AA. Hey - I just went to my first meeting a week ago and it was one of the best experiences I've had lately. Please don't be afraid to go. I think you'll find it to be wonderful. No one will judge you because they have all been down a similar road. I really, really would like to encourage you to just give it a try. What's the worst that can happen? Could it be worse than getting arrested? I don't think so.

The very fact that you're here shows that you desire change and you know what you're doing isn't right. Try a meeting!!!! I think you'll like it.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Putting myself and others in danger to an extreme level was one of the final straws that took me to rehab.

It's AMAZING that I never got a DUI.

If this is a regular occurrence you should definitely investigate a 12 step or secular program. Driving drunk is possibly the worst behavior you can engage in while intoxicated.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Samantha

I would definitely recommend AA. Many of the attendees will tell you first hand how hard it is to live with yourself after a drunken accident.
The meetings are great and help you keep your mind clear and positive.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I got my new car on Wednesday. The stress of worrying how I will meet the repayment plan is causing so much anxiety that all I want to do is be happily drunk. I drank 3 bottles of wine yesterday and even drove over the limit in the car. Hot can I stop this insanity? I was sober in the lead up to picking the car up. Maybe I need AA after all.
"Reading on here has helped me not let this turn into a relapse."

It is already a relapse isn't it? My guess is the car is just one of those impulsive things we do under the illusion that it will make us feel better. Retail therapy perhaps?

I can see that you are desperately miserable and willing to do almost anything to feel better. I don't think there is much of a maybe about your need for AA. The program fixed my miserable internal condition better than anything I know of.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Getting sober takes relationships....seldom works solo. AA is a great place to try.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

no, a new car would be incapable of stopping anyone drinking.

just sayin'....that's screwy thinking. along the lines of " when i have/get/reach/.....then i will be happy and when i am happy i will not drink and therefore what i really need is to find/ buy/ get what makes me happy and then i can and will be sober."
i'm making that up, sweetichick, but your title implies something similar.

i don't know if you need AA.
seems what you've done so far hasn't panned out into ongoing sobriety but has you driving drunk in a car you are anxious about making payments for.

so it would make sense to do what you haven't done so far, yes?
Old 09-23-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No it's not already a relapse just a slip. I'm beating myself up something stupid over the drink driving. Just releived I got home safe last night.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
no, a new car would be incapable of stopping anyone drinking.

just sayin'....that's screwy thinking. along the lines of " when i have/get/reach/.....then i will be happy and when i am happy i will not drink and therefore what i really need is to find/ buy/ get what makes me happy and then i can and will be sober."
i'm making that up, sweetichick, but your title implies something similar.

i don't know if you need AA.
seems what you've done so far hasn't panned out into ongoing sobriety but has you driving drunk in a car you are anxious about making payments for.

so it would make sense to do what you haven't done so far, yes?
I thought having something to work towards would help me. It hasn't been any sort of cure. At the end of the day I still have the same alcoholic brain. Plus being slightly mad. I get your point about my stupid behaviour.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i think we're all relieved you got home safe last night, sc.

how about putting that energy you're throwing into beatingyourself up into making a decision or two about how you'll be moving forward from here and then taking action on it?
Old 09-23-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good idea. I will go back to doing a walk every morning and yoga meditation to calm the anxiety. Maybe alcohol counseling. Plus AA tonight.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Please don't drink and drive Sweeti.

At best you will end up with a ban, large fine and not being able to drive, losing your car.

At worse you will end up killing a child, a long prison sentence and having to live with the shame, guilt and horror of what you've done for the rest of your life.

Maybe get rid o the car if it's causing so much financial anxiety. Is there a cooling off period you can take it back? I know financial worries and stresses are so awful and just not what you need when trying to get sober.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

you didnt honestly think a car would keep you from drinking, did you?
but your right-it wasnt a relapse- it was pre meditated. you had a conscious thought a long time ago
im sure your car didnt slip into the parking lot, you just slipped into the store,the wine just slipped into your body.

"Just releived I got home safe last night."
remember what your sponsor said about being selfish and selfcentered, which you denied?
this is a PERFECT example. how about the people you could have killed or injured?
personally im glad no families were destroyed by your actions.

sure hope ya surrender real soon- get some humility to listen to what your sponsor says and ask questions. become willing to learn.

this is just another great example over the years of being poweless over alcohol, an unmanagable life, and 100% insanity.

"I thought having something to work towards would help me."
you have had that before having a car and still have that today:
you have YOU being free from selfishness,self pity, fear, insecurities, and all them other wonderful crap feelings.