Notices

Will the anxiety get better?

Old 09-22-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will the anxiety get better?

Day 7, anxiety comes in waves, took a little bit of Ativan but I feel so sedated. I don't want to replace my drinking with pills. Maybe it's just for a few more days, some mild weed tea helps me the very most. I just want to feel better. Will I ever feel better? I refuse to go back to alcohol,!!!
Old 09-22-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd suggest seeing a doctor or therapist. A lot of people drink because of untreated anxiety/depression and rely on the 'escape' that the drink would temporarily 'offer'. I take anti anxiety meds when needed. My anxiety is no where as out of control now that I've stopped drinking btw.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really didn't have anxiety before. I drank beer with tomato juice and picante because I loved the taste. Getting buzzed was an added bonus. But I do have anxiety now. I hoped that the more days go by sober that it would just go away. Maybe I'm not sober long enough yet. I keep searching for timelines for something that I can strive for. I wish I had never got myself into this mess!!! Thank you for your kind answer
Old 09-22-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm only a couple of weeks ahead of you but my stress levels have gone right down. I've also started seeing a therapist again. By the way, excellent job on your sober time 👏
Old 09-22-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If by weed tea you mean marijuana you may be making your anxiety worse in the long run?

I ended up with the anxiety I started with (cos weed only pushed it to one side temporarily) plus the added anxiety when I couldn't get my fix.

There's a marijuana addiction forum here if you ever want to take a look.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/

D
Old 09-22-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

Old 09-22-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

taken from wiki

long-term alcohol use is associated with anxiety disorders,[17] with evidence that prolonged abstinence can result in a disappearance of anxiety symptoms.[18] However, it can take up to two years for anxiety symptoms to return to baseline in about a quarter of people recovering from alcoholism.[19]

In one study in 1988–90, illness in approximately half of patients attending mental health services at British hospital psychiatric clinic, for conditions including anxiety disorders such as panic disorder or social phobia, was determined to be the result of alcohol or benzodiazepine dependence. In these patients, anxiety symptoms, while worsening initially during the withdrawal phase, disappeared with abstinence from benzodiazepines or alcohol. Sometimes anxiety pre-existed alcohol or benzodiazepine dependence, but the dependence was acting to keep the anxiety disorders going and often progressively making them worse. Recovery from benzodiazepines tends to take a lot longer than recovery from alcohol, but people can regain their previous good health.[19]

Tobacco smoking has been established as a risk factor for developing anxiety disorders.[20]

Excessive caffeine usage has been linked to anxiety.[21]
Old 09-22-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you dee74. I don't do marijuana as I don't liked being stoned. But over these last few days the tea seems to take the anxiety down a notch. The Ativan from the doctor makes me a droopy noodle. I got ready to go to work and I thought, there's no way I can go to work like this. Just more days under my belt??? I'm going to make it, I am determined!
Old 09-22-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeaOfSerenity View Post
taken from wiki
Ok seaofserenity, that makes sense. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Loo,

My anxiety was horrid for months. I didn't even find SR for 80 days.

I was freaking out.

Now, with over 2 years sober...it is nearly gone.

I am still leaning to live life sober. Before, when I was stressed I would get drunk.

Now, sometimes I lay in bed and can't shut off my brain. It doesn't happen much, but it happens.

Before, I would drink and pass out.

So, I will eventually figure this out too.

I took 50 MG of zzzquil last night. Wish I didn't, but I needed something to ease my mind.

It sort of worked.

If you relapse, it only gets worse.

Right?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Make sure you only take the prescribed dosage of Ativan from your doctor. More than the prescription can become like another addiction, so please be careful. Ativan from what I heard is a potent medication.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeaOfSerenity View Post
taken from wiki
I,m glad you posted the wiki . Some seem to think that its OK to be on long term benzodiazepine . To me it,s another addiction as even a maintained prescribed dose can produce withdrawal when tolerance is reached .
Old 09-23-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, Looey.
Welcome.
In my case, I was very anxious in the early days of sobriety. It lessened in time.
About 3 months in, I felt like myself again.
Good luck.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing experience. This my 1st week and I anxienty is the worst thing (
Old 09-23-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Maudcat;6613693]
I can't wait to be where you're at! Great job!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faranti View Post
Thank you for sharing experience. This my 1st week and I anxienty is the worst thing (
I too think this is the very worst part right now! Everyone keeps saying it will get better with time, one thing is, it can only get better!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stronger2017 View Post
I'm only a couple of weeks ahead of you but my stress levels have gone right down. I've also started seeing a therapist again. By the way, excellent job on your sober time 👏
Day 8 for me. I made myself do lots of things around the house and took my dog for some nice long walks. It's making me stop thinking about how anxiety is working me and how I am moving along instead. Good job stronger 👌
Old 09-23-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Anxiety has been a big challenge for me and I used many different things to try and manage it. Alcohol ended up being the winner and took over. The two best ways that I relieve anxiety now?
Long, long walks and loads of meditation. It takes a bit of practice but I promise its totally worth it. Try MindfulPeace on youtube. And get your body moving. Walk it off til you are too tired to be anxious anymore 😊
Old 09-23-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Anxiety has been a big challenge for me and I used many different things to try and manage it. Alcohol ended up being the winner and took over. The two best ways that I relieve anxiety now?
Long, long walks and loads of meditation. It takes a bit of practice but I promise its totally worth it. Try MindfulPeace on youtube. And get your body moving. Walk it off til you are too tired to be anxious anymore 😊
Thanks gabe I agree with the long walks. Feels good having accomplished something. I'll look up mindfulpeace.