Notices

Seasonal triggers

Old 09-17-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Seasonal triggers

I'm three months sober & consider myself extremely lucky not to have been affected much with cravings up until now. I noticed, however, a couple of nights recently that I was getting really twitchy & thinking way more about drinking than at any time since I quit.

I finally figured out that I was craving red wine rather than beer, which is what I tended to switch to at the end of summer. We've had some really autumnal days here in the UK - darker, cooler evenings, leaves on the ground, etc. & these were triggering me differently to what I'd experienced up til now over the summer.

Now I know what's been triggering me I've been able to deal with it & they have passed

I've heard from a few people that the reason that a year's wait is recommended for various things - relationships, etc. - is because it gives you a chance to deal with a year's worth of events sober - holidays, seasons, etc. before adding anything else into the mix, so maybe there's something in it.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Seeing Sam Adam's Octoberfest in the stores will sometimes make me forget, just for an instance, that I don't drink!
Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good post . A years worth of events ,seasons out of the way is a good milestone .
I was in our local pharmacy on Friday and they were stacking the shelves with Christmas gift packs of shower gel ,shampoos etc.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The change in seasons has always been a trigger for m e too. When the Fall/cooler weather hits as you mentioned, I think more often of that glass of wine then I did during the summer. I was never a big beer or summer drinker but bring on the Fall and Winter and look out! However.......I must say that nowadays a hot cup of really awesome coffee sounds MUCH better to me now on those colder days
Old 09-18-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

apple crisp with way too much crumb topping